Poll--The Weakest Link: AL GREEN--GREATEST HITS (1975 version) Round 6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

"Here I Am (Come And Take Me)" is here no longer.

Three remain, one must go.

Discussion question: Have you heard cover versions of the original songs on this comp? Like, dislike, meh?

NOTE: Due to the American Thanksgiving holiday tomorrow, this is set to run for 48 hours instead of the normal 24.

4 Here I Am (Come And Take Me)
    5 Call Me (Come Back Home)
    6 How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
    T7 You Ought To Be With Me
    T7 I Can't Get Next To You
    T9 Look What You Done For Me
    T9 Let's Get Married

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"I'm Still In Love With You"

DQ: the only original song (since some of this album is cover versions already) I've heard a cover of is a New Orleans group called The Subdudes doing "Tired of Being Alone." It's very good.

3. Joey Self

Yeah, that's what I was getting at--not "I Can't Get Next To You" or "How Can You Mend..." I had time to edit my note--thanks for helping clarify.

JcS

4. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Both Call Me and Here I Am would have been in my top 3, but there you go !

So, I'm Still in Love With You again for me.

I love the Temps and Bee Gees originals of Can't Get Next To You and How Can You Mend A Broken Heart. I think the Talking Heads version of Take Me To The River (outside this poll) was great.

BTW, I just noticed this week that my UK album version of the 75 Greatest Hits also includes Sha La La (it's 11 track). I guess there was a reason at the time - I think it was his most recent hit before the album came out. Anyway, a nice extra.

Happy thanksgiving. Been there and done it a few times. Will be thinking of US friends...have some turkey and pie for me.

5. I'd s-can "Let's Get Married". I've got the promo 45 of it and never liked it. Never played it on the radio either.

6. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Tired of tired...
    DQ: "Let's stay togheter" by Tina Turner is a stone classic. Once Tina put her nails on a song, she owns it like few others.

7. Joey Self

I'd forgotten that one. You like it a little more than I do, but agree it is wonderful.

JcS

8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

"Tired of Being Alone"

DQ: I like Tina Turner's version of "Let's Stay Together," but I can't say she brings much to it that Al didn't. And that's the only cover of these songs I'm familiar with. (But Talking Heads' cover of "Take Me to the River" rules! :edthumbs: )

9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

"Let's Stay Together" yeah, I did it, ha. I bet it's not going anywhere.

DQ: I kind of liked Mavis Staples's cover of "Loving You" that was ok more often not I don't like covers of Al Green's work but I'm surprised that more people haven't done a lot of his songs.

10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Had to vote for "Tired Of Being Alone" (its two rivals are two of my favourite songs ever, not just by Al Green).
    I do like the Bee Gees' "How Do You Mend A Broken Heart". I prefer Al's, but not by a lot. I do prefer the Tempt's "I Can't Get Next To You" to Al's, however. And as for remakes, Al tops Tina, and also UB40 (no contest!), who had a late 80s hit with "Here I Am (Come And Take Me)".

zebop likes this.
  11. Joey Self

I never heard that one--I may look it up sometime.

JcS

12. Joey Self

Yeah, as good as the songs are, you'd think there would be more of them.

JcS

zebop likes this.
  13. Joey Self

Ahhh, the joys of Wikipedia. I'll post these to maybe jog someone's memory. In order of the original songs on the album:

In 1992 Scottish band Texas covered "Tired of Being Alone", which became a substantial hit in the United Kingdom, reaching no. 19 on the official UK Singles Chart. A re-recorded version later appeared on their 2000 album, The Greatest Hits.In addition to Texas, "Tired of Being Alone" has also been covered by Michael Bolton, Tom Jones, the Subdudes and by Eran James. Graham Bonnet of Rainbow, MSG, and Alcatrazz fame covered "Tired of Being Alone" on 1977's "Graham Bonnet". The soul group Quiet Elegance, who were stablemates at Hi Records with Green and had toured with him, also released a cover of the song on their albums You've Got My Mind Messed Up (1990) and The Complete Quiet Elegance (2003).

None listed for "Call Me."

Meli'sa Morgan recorded a version of this song, titled "Still in Love with You", for her 1992 album of the same title. It peaked at #9 on the Hot Black Singles chart and #3 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart. Seal has recently recorded a cover of this song for his 2008 album Soul. In the spring of 1994, Al B. Sure! covered the song for the soundtrack for the 2Pac movie Above the Rim

Here I Am: The song has been covered by such performers as Michael Jackson, Etta James, and Seal. Several reggae versions have been recorded, including by Marcia Griffiths, Pluto Shervington, Owen Gray, and Inner Circle.[3] A version by Al Brown, a founding member of The Paragons, served as the basis for another cover by UB40, included on their 1989 album, Labour of Love II. Released as a single in 1990, the song was an international hit, reaching #7 on the US charts and #3 on the Australian charts in 1991.

"Let's Stay Together" has also been covered by Margie Joseph (who had also recorded in Memphis contemporaneous to Green, but offered a Philly-inspired version produced byArif Mardin), Al Jarreau, Billy Paul, Roberta Flack,[15]Michael Bolton, Ms. Marilyn Marshall (Club version), Donny Osmond, Jimmy Smith, Seal, Michelle Williams, Ian Moss, Boyz II Men, Bobby Ross Avila, Big Mountain, Isaac Hayes, Robin Thicke, Brian Kennedy, Maroon 5, Terry Manning, as well as by At Last on the first season of America's Got Talent, who performed it a cappella. It has also been covered by soul singer Lemar. Shirley Bassey covered the song on her 1995 album Sings the Movies. An instrumental version very close to the Al Green original was recorded by The Memphis Horns. Organist Ronnie Foster also recorded an instrumental version for his studio album The Two Headed Freap.The song has been performed on American Idol by Justin Guarini. On December 15, 2010 on The Sing-Off it was performed a cappella by Season Two winnersCommitted (group). It has also been covered by Trenyce, Leah LaBelle, Joseph Murena, and Elise Testone. Australian soul singer Guy Sebastian recorded a cover version on his covers album The Memphis Album. UK R&B artist Craig David covers his very own version of the song on his album "Signed Sealed Delivered". Michael Bolton covered the song on his 1999 album Timeless: The Classics Vol. 2. In 1989, The Rippingtons released an album titled "Tourist in Paradise", on that album is featured the song "Let's Stay Together".[16] In 2004, saxophonistEric Darius performed a rendition of the "Let's Stay Together". Eric's version was from the album Night on the Town.[17]Lynda Carter covered this song for her 2011 album Crazy Little Things. American pop singer Katy Perry performed the song at Barack Obama Fundraising Concert in Best Buy Theater, New York Cityon October 7, 2012. This song was also cover-versioned by former Hong Kong singer Yvonne Lau Man-Kuen (Chinese: 劉文娟) under the title "Don't leave gaps when young" (Chinese: 年輕不要留白) in 1991. (Tina Turner's version got its own paragraph.)

None for "You Ought To Be With Me" or "Look What You Done For Me." "Let's Get Married" doesn't have its own entry.

JcS

14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The Al Jarreau songs were probably from those sessions he did in the early '70s when he sang Bill Withers and Al Green songs. I remember Margie Joseph's cover, I remember Margie Joseph, ha.

Around the same era, Isaac Hayes did an instrumental version of "Let's Stay Together." All of the tracks listed really didn't capture what Green accomplished with the songs....

15. Joey Self

He could do some interesting things without saying a word. I may have to check that out.

JcS

zebop likes this.
  16. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Marshall Crenshaw did a great live version of "Here I Am". Pretty sure he released it in some form. Great guitar work by him on this song.

17. Dhreview16

The UB 40 version of Here I Am was OK, but Labour of Love II generally wasn't as good as the first volume, which included their better ( and better known) cover of Neil Diamond's Red Red Wine, Agree with Monosterio about his like for Tina Turner 's rockier version of Let's Stay Together. Private Dancer was a good covers album for her, and reinvigorated her career, especially with What's Love Got to do with it, helped by Mark Knopfler.

18. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Joel,
    funny that the wiki quotes for Let's stay together doesn't include Tina Turner among the artists that covered it.

19. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Don't think i can partecipate on a WL for that album. Too good, it became basically a Greatest Hits by itself, all songs received strong airplay.

20. Joey Self

It does include her, but with a separate paragraph. Easier for you to see what I'm talking about than me not explaining it well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let's_Stay_Together_(song)

JcS

21. Monosterio

There you go, Joey -- there's your next Weakest Link. :D

22. Dhreview16

It would be a good one, Private Dancer, Let's Stay Together, What's Love..., Help, 1984, I Can't Stand The Rain (like Al, another Hi label, Memphis soul classic, by Ann Peebles) etc. Sorry, don't mean to disrupt the AG thread...

23. Monosterio

It's a greatest hits album, as you said. Even the songs that weren't released as singles (like "I Might Have Been Queen") could have been hits.

24. Joey Self

Well, no...but it may move Tina out of the category of "acts that a compilation work best" (that is the theme of this series) and have PRIVATE DANCER considered sometime for a game with it.

JcS

25. Joey Self

Tied at the moment; I haven't voted and will break a tie if necessary after voting closes.

JcS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.