Which TV to buy right now?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tomhayes, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Again - you do not know what you are talking about - you first say yuck and now you say it is a distraction. I've had my set for about a year and have never been distracted by the curve - it is not at all noticeable while you are watching the TV. You are 100% wrong.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Are you sure I'm not 99% wrong? As I said, enjoy your set sir. :wave:

Vidiot and MartinR like this.
  3. JFOK

JFOK Forum Resident

I've had my Panasonic Plasma (ST30) since 2012 and the picture continues to amaze not only me, but all those who come over to view.
    I'm glad I went the 3D TV route also. I've viewed LCD and LED TVs and nothing even comes close to the overall picture quality of a plasma. 4K will be my next choice when my plasma dies (which I hope isn't for a long time) since plasma is no longer available.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe Sam is 100% correct. A curved screen is bullspit with consumer displays. It's silly and has no real benefits. If the point is to minimize the reflections in the room, then turn the damned lights off and control the light from any windows in there. Films are not mastered on curved monitors, and they shouldn't be shown on curved monitors.

The exception would be Cinerama and other historical film technologies intended for that purpose.

An old pal of mine said for decades, if he encountered somebody that liked a mediocre display, "enjoy your Emerson!" ;)

I think a lot of technological features can be divided up into rows of "hype," "doesn't matter," and "improvements." To me, curved screens fall under "hype." 4K and HDR will be real improvements, provided the software is there to support it and provided the displays follow all the normal technical rules for making good pictures.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    MartinR and SamS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.