Beatles 1987 CDs - any reason to keep them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gilbert green, Sep 14, 2009.

1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I am getting a bit long in the tooth and could very well not live to see the day when they rake in the green, but I am hoarding them anyway. Anything I see that I know is OOP and cheap becomes mine.

When I croak there is going to be one hell of a Godzilla sized yard sale or auction.

I don't think of things stored neatly away in boxes as being clutter. Especially when it is an investment.

steeler1979, davers, JimC and 2 others like this.
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The Capital versions on cd never interested me (even though I grew up on them on LP) once I got used to the UK albums on cd, until I wanted to get some tracks in mono without springing for the mono box.
    The first four from 87 are mono (even if bad transfers) but the albums after that are stereo only, so I then locate the US albums on cd that represent those songs.
    The only thing I did like about the Capital LPs back in the day, was that in would include the songs that were UK singles only.
    So the hack jobs at least gave us a lot of great songs on LP without having to buy 45 singles.
    This was especially beneficial in the 70s and 80s when you repurchased albums, because the singles by this time were not just sitting on record store shelves as albums were, and would take a long time to attempt to order from catalogs.
    Also, I always hated having to pull out a 45 single and play it for one song vs having an LP on.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is there a big difference in how much you can get selling the CD w/ the longbox?
    The only one I can imagine being worth it is the "Sgt. Pepper" one, with the 'cut-outs' on the back.

4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

"Any reason to keep them?" Yes you could listen to them. It's The Beatles.
    If you don't want it and have upgraded then give them away to someone who could cherish them.

5. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I feel so unsophisticated. Until this thread and similar ones on this forum I was happy with the 2009 remasters

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't know, though I do know people collect them. I started trying to save them maybe a year before the phase out started, but most got squished. This one is still very sharp, though.

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hey, even before the 2009 remasters were out folks here were saying, "Hang on to yer '87's- these new ones are gonna suck!":laugh:

Y'know...different tastes, and all that. The original 1987 versions weren't that bad, and still aren't (well...okay, maybe the '87 Beatles For Sale excepted). Neither are the 2009's, for that matter (and the mono versions are exquisite) but some of the stereo remasters are admittedly a little too jacked up for some people's tastes (The White Album and Abbey Road in particular)

Smartin62, JimC and PhilBiker like this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I cut all mine up and used the pictures for a photo album. I still have it somewhere lol

seed_drill likes this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I saved all mine!
    Sadly, someone stole my "Sgt. Pepper" CD... Had to buy a new one. THAT'S when I noticed the "Apple" logo they slapped on the later versions.

PhilBiker likes this.
  10. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Here, you can see for yourself: http://1drv.ms/1Ih6IWe

Onder likes this.
  11. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

12. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

I do own the "wooden box" of the 1987 CDs:
    -PPM back of CD-cover says Mono ADD,booklet says AAD ,CD says AAD,"made in England"
    -WTB back of CD cover says Mono AAD,booklet as well, CD says AAD,"made in England"
    -AHDN back of CD cover says Mono ADD,booklet says AAD,CD says AAD,"made in England"
    -BFS back of CD cover says Mono ADD,booklet says AAD,CD says AAD,"made in England"
    -Help back of CD cover says Stereo ADD,booklet says ADD,CD says ADD,"made in the UK"
    -RS back of CD cover says Stereo ADD,booklet says ADD,CD says ADD,"made in the UK"
    -Revolver back of CD cover says AAD,booklet says AAD,CD says AAD,"made in W.Germany"
    -Pepper deluxe package ,"Stereo" on outer package,"Stereo" on booklet,CD "Stereo",MADE IN UK
    -White Album" Stereo on CD cover,Stereo on CD,Made in Holland
    -YS,Stereo on CD cover,------- on booklet,CD says "Stereo",Made in the UK"
    -MMT,back of CD cover says "Digitally Remastered",CD says "Stereo,Made in the UK"
    -Abbey Road",back of CD cover says "Stereo","Digitally remastered",CD says "Stereo","Made in UK"
    -LIB,back of CD cover says "Stereo",Digitally remastered",CD says"Stereo,"Made in W.Germany"
    -PM 1,back of CD cover "Stereo,*Mono",CD(black) says Stereo except*Mono",Made in Holland"
    .PM 2,identical to PM 1,but CD in white

And there is NOT A SINGLE Apple anywhere!!

Any comments??

Dino and Maidenpriest like this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's a brave stance to take, considering it's a remix complete with '80s digital reverb and everything. But we like what we like, so rock on!

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I never think of music purchases as potential investments, but if you have the available space to manage it efficiently, more power to ya! My basement and listening room is already overflowing with stuff that I actively use, so I have no real capacity for storing stuff.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Unless, of course, he's one of those lucky ducks who got the Canadian CD with the original 1965 mix...

16. RingoStarr39

Apple logos didn't appear on any CD's until 1992.

17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

the 1987 Revolver is terrible though in my opinion, the 2009 slays it although does anyone know the EQ moves to bring the 2009 Revolver back to a 'flat transfer' ??

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Incorrect, they're on later 1987 ones. By November 1987 they were on all of them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Dino and Smartin62 like this.
  19. RingoStarr39

All of the original Beatles CD's had no Apple logo at all. In 1992 they were reissued with Apple logos. It was the same with John, George and Ringo's solo catalogues as well.

Smartin62 likes this.
  20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I certainly understand that. I am fortunate enough to live on acreage that I have built outbuildings on and have enough storage space to have organized systems in place. Even then it is a bit of a hassle keeping track of all of it. I am in the process now of building more CD containers to re-organize my entire CD collection better, it is a constant work in progress.
    For guys who haven't the space or ambition for that, I can dig wanting to have everything efficient as can be.
    If I lived a simpler life my entire music situation would be far different, I would only keep what I listen to.
    I have friends who shake their heads in awe that I even try to maintain such a big project.
    I have played in bands with a fellow who lives in a town 5 miles up the road from me who lives in a big house that he only puts a few sticks of furniture in, a few instruments , and hardly any recorded music. If he wants to listen to something he borrows it from the library.
    There is something to be said for that.

Dino likes this.
  21. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

In my collection of 1987 CDs (I have them all) only Beatles For Sale has an Apple logo, and NOT on the case itself, but on the disc inside. Most of mine say Mfg. by Capitol in the US (White album Germany). All 1987 issues.

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I still have them all in those oversized HMV boxes. In fact I have doubles of the first two. I also have all 22 3" CD singles sealed in the long boxes. They take up a ton of space :(

Duophonic likes this.
  23. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Here's my '87 Abbey Road - no Apple logo. None on "Beatles For Sale," either.

[​IMG]

Dave S likes this.
  24. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

FWIW, the only Beatles CD I have with the Apple logo on the disc is Yellow Submarine, and it's the only one I didn't buy right at the time of release. I bought it several years later.

25. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

The best sounding Beatles discs!