Best McCartney unreleased song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by backseat, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Cannot decide between "Yvonne" and "Lindiana". In my opinion"Waterspout" was a missed chart topper commercial opportunity.

2. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Paul has shown good quality control by keeping these unreleased. Raining In London shows the most promise of the ones in the poll. I imagine he has plenty of gems we've never heard though.

3. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Waterspout.........but I really wanted to vote for Robber's Ball

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Fake "?
    Oo you
    are correct.

5. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

was India unreleased?
    if so that's my fave

daveidmarx likes this.
  6. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"Don't Fear The Reaper"

BUT

I voted for "Suicide".

:p

EVOLVIST and l-l-d like this.
  7. Naked 9

Naked 9 Well-Known Member

"Yvonne" 'cause I can only pick one up.
    "In Liverpool" is another great one for me... (if we can consider it as "unreleased", only on the "Liverpool oratorio" DVD).

l-l-d likes this.
  8. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics' Thread Starter

I loved this song when I heard it for the firs time. But looking at it now, it seems like an elaborate demo. It should have been arranged with more care. Great melody, but the song is a bit too long. I think Beatty was right in choosing Dave Grusin's score, which is really fabulous. McCartney's song has a great sax/clarinet part anyway... It's a shame we don't have any detail about the recording of the song... I guess Paul played a lot of instruments, if not almost everything...

theMess likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I didn't know where to put this tidbit, so I just am putting it here. In Carly Simon's new autobiography, she has this info:

The recording of "You’re So Vain":
    She recorded the song at London’s AIR studios, owned by Beatles producer George Martin, in 1971. Paul and Linda McCartney were recording down the hall. Harry Nilsson came by to pitch in and see his friends the McCartneys. Mick Jagger came by and ended up contributing some background vocals on the track "You’re So Vain" between hanging out with Nilsson and the McCartneys (“Conversation struck up between the Beatle and the Stone," Simon observes).

Anyone know what Paul and Linda, with possibly Harry Nilsson, would have been recording at AIR Studios in 1971?

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

BUMP!

theMess likes this.
  11. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Live and Let Die was recorded at AIR in October or November 1972, otherwise his fall 1972 sessions were at Abbey Road, Olympic and Morgan Studios. ... You're So Vain is usually credited as being recorded in October or November 1972 at Trident. Her memory (or her researcher/ghost writer) might have gotten this one wrong (or maybe I did!)

Probably not a Nilsson session, he usually recorded at Trident when in London ... which coincidentally was where Carly Simon probably actually recorded You're So Vain, not AIR. To bring the Beatles/Nilsson/Carly Simon circle back around again, Nilsson quoted You're So Vain in his song Black Sails, produced by John Lennon.

My favorite unreleased McCartney song? Castle of the King of the Birds.

12. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I love that song!!! I vote for that one too.

Driving rain outtake that was performed for a secret web show. The quality is low but the song shines.

theMess and Paul H like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Thanks for analyzing the You're So Vain stuff. I didn't think Paul was at AIR in 1971, and it seems that he wasn't (and neither was Carly, at least in 1971!). I wonder though if Harry Nilsson did visit Paul & Linda at some session around then.

theMess likes this.
  14. backseat

Paul and linda added backing vocals to another song of Carly Simon, "Night Owl". It was rumored that was at the end of the "Live and let Die" session, so it has to be autumn 1972, September or October. To my knowledge though, her No Secrets album was recorded at Trident Studios. Wings recorded also at Trident during fall 1972, probably working on "Little Lamb Dragonfly".

theMess, Johnny Reb and Arnold Grove like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

And thanks too!! Grazie!!

theMess and backseat like this.
  16. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Waterspout for me, such a great song. It has that Ob-La-Di vibe IMO, could have been a hit I think. I've always wondered why it was never released. The version I have is low quality but it sounds like a completed song.

theMess likes this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Since you're such a fan of it, I have to ask: Don't you feel the lyric is pretty silly?

I'm a huge McCartney fan, but I just can't handle some of his lyrics, and this is a grade AAA example for me...

paulmccartneyistheman and ccbarr like this.
  18. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Oh yeah, the lyrics are just kinda tossed off, that's what I meant about the Ob-La-Di vibe to the song, weak lyrics but a melody that just drills its way into your head.

theMess, Johnny Reb and mrjinks like this.
  19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I know what you mean but, as noted above, the melody just renders any qualms I have absolutely irrelevant. Once this tune is in my head it DOES NOT go away.

Macca4ever and theMess like this.
  20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My pick was actually released (can't remember by whom at the moment -- Mary Hopkin? Cilla Black?), but I love his demo more:

"Goodbye"

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  21. backseat

Your welcome! Prego!

22. backseat

I never payed attention to the lyrics of Waterspout but could hide some sexual innuendo...

23. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Love the Beatles. I am a McCartney fan...but his unreleased stuff is dreadful.

24. Arnold Grove

Yes, Mary Hopkin is the answer.

25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Well said, I could not agree more. It is a shame that such a beautiful song is so unknown to the general public. Had he released it in the mid-70's with Wings, I can imagine it being a big hit.

Johnny Reb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.