Got To Hit Newbury Comics 25% off Vinyl Sale

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by reidc, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reidc

reidc Senior Member Thread Starter

Yep- they had another 25% off Vinyl sale this past weekend! I've missed quite a few- as usually something going on during weekends, and its 60 miles each way to get to the Norwood store. As far as I'm concerned- Norwood is the only one to bother with- at least for Vinyl.

I'd always held out hope I could grab a Classic Records version of Physical Graffiti for a deal- but always too late. I decided to grab the new Re-Master on Vinyl- only got the standard 2 LP version.

I found an MFSL Silver label Santana III LP- I'd always thought of ordering one, but never did. Saw one here and snagged it.
    I also grabbed a used Santana Freedom LP- this came along after my interest in Santana waned, but I heard "Love Is You" some time in the past and loved it-for $3 I was ok!

These next two- I grabbed on a lark, only because I saw them, and the $$$ wasn't going to kill me. I'd always liked the titles, and could never find clean copies.
    Gord's Gold from Gordon Lightfoot on Friday Music
    Tommy- the version with Merry Clayton, Ringo, Rod Stewart and LSO on The Orchard label.

I always loved the LSO version of Tommy- heard it back upon release and I have my old ODE CD as well as 4 copies of the original LP BOX and Book- despite good cleanings- they have their share of noise. I heard a new vinyl version was coming out, this one was not in a Box like original, but was in a Gatefold with gray vinyl, and it did have the full color book. I did not clean this upon opening- and it did have some krispies. I am sure once I clean it with my VPI it'll be fine. It was only $20 after discount.

The Gord's Gold set from Friday Music- was not one I really wanted- moreso based on the label. I've had a few copies of this- but never fund a nice clean copy. Friday Music does not go all the way on some of their releases- and this one seems to have flimsy jacket, and I despise seeing their large logo on lp labels. Their sound was never the greatest-I've had a couple of YES LP releases and a Hall and Oates set that are just ok.

I didn't see much talk of the Gord's Gold release here- all my listening has only been background while doing something else and not any good quiet time stuff. While I didn't detect any harshness- there were a few ticks that will hopefully clean up well. This was a used package- and I think after discount it was maybe $20 as well. I know it was $40 or $45 used.

Chris

Atari265278 likes this.
  2. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

How do you hear about the sales? Is there an email list?

3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I missed this one, the only way my local store told me to tell is by watching their FB page... I hit a couple sales in the past though. They have a lot of good titles that are EU imports pressed at optimal.

4. Lebowski

Are you referring to the various colored-vinyl reissues they are always selling? I always assumed those would be subpar, but never actually heard one.

5. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Nope I was referring to many reissues that are done by rhino and the like, they have usually had EU versions which are almost always pressed at optimal. I picked up some doors from the Salem NH store Absolutely Live ! and it is simply fantastic. They also have the EU versions of floyd albums.

The only Newbury Comics edition albums I have bought was Allman brothers live at the fillmore, I went through 3 clear vinyl copies and one LP was always warped.

6. Lebowski

Interesting. I was tempted by their clear vinyl pressing of A Love Supreme. Glad I saved my money.

7. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

A lot of good reviews of their heavy weight colored NC edition records, I think I just had bad luck. I don't have any of them though.

8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I found a used Classic Records pressing of Miles Davis' "Birth of the Cool"

9. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Yes. Note that their weekly e-mail newsletter is for IN-STORE sales only. Seeing that you're in eastern Massachusetts, that shouldn't be an issue. You should be able to sign up at newburcomics.com.

10. Lebowski

Thanks. I signed up for their Facebook feed last month. They seem to announce the sales there too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.