Eastern Promises

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bill Hart, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Viggo Mortensen steals the show here- "I'm just the driver," he says, when asked. He is far more than that, in this beautifully wrought expose of a most violent Russian crime family set in London.
    Naomi Watts delivers too, as the unwitting outsider who throws a wrench into the works.
    Highly recommended. David Cronenberg directs. A few throats are cut, and the fight in the bath house is a killer.
    If you liked Vig in "A History of Violence," this takes it up a notch, and adds some exotic Russian flavor that will make you reach for that cold bottle of vodka you've been saving.

alexpop and woody like this.
  2. marke

marke Forum Resident

I remember liking this movie in the theater. Eastern Promises and A History of Violence were a great one-two punch. Viggo and David make a brilliant team.

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I agree with your positive review, esp. that this movie is much more enjoyable and complex than A History of Violence, itself a nice little movie. I never ventured in bath houses, and esp. wouldn't after that scene! After this movie, I expected more great things out of Cronenberg, but I can't recall anything that rises to this level. And where has Viggo been lately?

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Viggo Mortensen is another actor I really enjoy! I will watch anything he's in...loved all of his movies. EP had it down...very authentic.

alexpop likes this.
  5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I prefer it to History of Violence too - I think that goes off the rails towards the end.

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yes good little film that one. Worth a look.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Last I saw of Viggo was The Road.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Great movie, but I had been warned about the sauna. that has to be one of the most violent things I've ever seen.
    Great ending.

9. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

It's a very powerful movie with fine acting and a great script - what I also like is that it doesn't have any sci-fi artiness about it, like so many other Cronenberg films. I do wish there was a commentary on the DVD, though.

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Cronenberg is one of my favourite directors. I should give this one another viewing soon (along with History of Violence)

11. Michael

HOV was great! didn't expect the outcome. Eastern Promises was good as well...

12. Michael

a Russian friend of mine said he had the Russian mob down pat!

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Excellent one-two punch! Cronenberg has never made a film that is uninteresting.

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Except for Cosmopolis, which is the only film he's ever done which I flat-out hated.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah! Even better than A History Of Violence.

16. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

And it has Naomi Watts :)

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

:edthumbs::cheers:

18. alexpop

Wish Cronenberg made other film with Viggo, perhaps even...
    Eastern Promises 2 ( the original left a possiblity). Such a interesting charactor.

19. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Cronenberg did indeed make another film with Viggo in 2011 called A DANGEROUS METHOD, however be advised it is about Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung, the psychiatrists. I have it, but haven't watched it yet.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

one of my favorite actors...he's a twin for my Uncle! It's freaky...love to see a EP 2!

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Yeah. Eastern Promises DVD extras had a fascinating insight on the Russian mafia.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

yes, all the tattoo design were authentic to the Russian mob.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.