What's your favourite Blues record today??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Sep 1, 2013.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The first John Lee Hooker I ever bought, Never Get Out Of These Blues Alive, but I like lots of his.

Albireo likes this.
  2. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Hi Ian,
    I actually have a high number of Robert's records since is one of my wife favorites, and I enjoy him too :)

Gee... as I read most of the posting on this thread, I got a lot of catch up with some of the artist listed here.....will have to check Johnny Adams, never heard about him.

Regards,
    Tony

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

4. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

The man has been consistently brilliant over his 35-year career. However I think you misspoke on the title of this, his debut album from 1980:

[​IMG]

Larry Mc and Slick Willie like this.
  5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

[​IMG]
    Robben Ford and The Blue Line
    HANDFUL OF BLUES

6. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People Thread Starter

Great choice.....I actually prefer it to Live At The Regal although both are outstanding records!!!

7. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Anything with Paul Kossoff on it

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  8. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I've been playing this one quite a bit recently.
    John Lee Hooker - Don't Turn Me From Your Door.
    My copy on CD, another release on that Japanese Atlantic Series. If I'm not mistaken this was the only album Hooker recorded for ATCO. Excellent stuff.

BLUESJAZZMAN and Slick Willie like this.
  9. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

You are correct Sir :righton:

My cover is a bit different. It has a lady on the cover. How do you post pictures?....I'm just not used to this format and I'm having a bit of problem.

Regards,
    Tony

10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

11. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

I was able to figured out to insert a youtube video, but still having problem inserting pictures, should be the opposite :cry:.

Larry Mc likes this.
  12. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

You have to post the link from a photo hosting site. I use photobucket.com, which is free. You create an online photo library, then you upload your jpegs to that.
    When you want to post a photo here, you select the photo in your library, click "Direct" from the right-hand sidebar titled, "Share This Photo", which copies it to the clipboard on your computer.
    Then, back here, you click the picture icon in the forum reply box menu bar, paste the url into the blue box, and click upload.

Your Robert Cray album, "Too Many Cooks", is a reissue of the original album, 'Who's Been Talkin". Same album, different title and cover art.

13. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try.

Regards,
    Tony

14. Voodoo Child

[​IMG]
    Carol Fran & Clarence Hollimon
    SOUL SENSATION!

Harp Of Glass and Larry Mc like this.
  15. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Hi again Tony; it's great to hear Robert has his fans and people still follow him. I could call him a big influence because after hearing my brother's cassette of Strong Persuader, back in the day, I immediately picked up on how he was attacking those strings - I'd just bought a copy of a Fender Strat (my first guitar) and it looked the same as the one on the back of the inlay card. :cool: So I wanted to try and play a bit of that stuff and did learn some of the riffs and licks from there. Good enough reason to want to explore more by him and that lead me to Hendrix etc etc

I'm seeing a lot of names on here that I was unaware of too, and some I know pretty well. Plus albums from others I like a lot that I was unaware of and know I should check; I am sure to with some of them before much longer.

16. Voodoo Child

[​IMG]
    Otis Taylor
    MY WORLD IS GONE

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

GREAT CHOICE, THIS ONE LIVES IN MY PLAYER. Sorry about the caps, keyboard problem.

18. Voodoo Child

I think it's one of the best blues releases from the last couple of years, sounds unlike anything else, very original.

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ah, the Tan Canary (seriously, that's his nickname). He's a legendary New Orleans R&B vocalist who cut a couple of blues albums for Rounder later in his career. The aforementioned Room With A View Of The Blues and Walking On A Tightrope - The Songs Of Percy Mayfield (although he did a few blues songs here and there these are the only two full blues LPs I'm aware of).

Larry Mc, Voodoo Child and Tony-A like this.
  20. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Still have not bought this one for some reason, although I've got the rest of his. Think Hey Joe Opus is the only one available on vinyl. Nice stuff.

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I had the fortune to see Johnny Adams once in Denver, Colorado in (of all things) the ballroom at a Holiday Inn with Lowell Fulson (!) opening! It was a great show. Johnny was dressed to the nines, performing in a double breasted black velvet suit and although he was clearly sweating a ton, the jacket never came off. The only downside to the show was it was somewhat disorganized and there was an inexplicably long wait between artist sets (the first set was by a local female artist who's name escapes me). We knew we were in for the long haul when a pizza delivery man brought a pie to Johnny's table right at the end of the first set (you can't make this stuff up). I recall Lowell was wearing a canary yellow suit with full tails and a matching bowler hat. He seemed to be quite frail and had to be helped on to the stage and played the full show seated on a tall stool. Once they put a guitar in his hand, however, he really came alive.

Johnny himself didn't disappoint. He eventually succumbed to cancer, which is a shame. Aaron Neville seems to be at the top of most people's list of best New Orleans vocalists, but Johnny's at the top of mine.

"Body And Fender Man" was one of Johnny's live staples.

Larry Mc, Voodoo Child and Tony-A like this.
  22. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Champion Jack Dupree's New Orleans Barrelhouse: Piano Blues 1960

"Recorded in 1960 in London by noted blues piano collector Francis Wilford-Smith; Dupree was in a relaxed & inventive state recording in Smith's parlor, performing his trademark New Orleans-style piano"

I've had this amazing two-day sit-down at piano album for years... still my fave. Uninhibited, raw, passion, insight... and a fantastic listen. I am so glad they put this out in the early 90s... wow does it work as an ALBUM.

If you're a fan of authentic piano blues, I strongly recommend it!

http://www.discogs.com/Champion-Jack-Dupree-New-Orleans-Barrelhouse/release/6746075

Jeff

23. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Hard to pick a favourite, but I always liked this album by Freddie King....

JG

24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

D'oh, I forgot about One Foot In The Blues (not sure how that happened).

[​IMG]

25. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Another favourite of mine, the late great Johnny Winter..

JG