The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

It is frustrating. Not everybody's as fanatical as Losin and others like him :) It's a labor of love, for sure.

2. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Lee Morgan - Live At The Lighthouse.

Picked up a liberty vinyl copy of Lee Morgan's Live At The Lighthouse which I have never seen in shops before, I have been looking for it for a long time. Last night and today were really my first times hearing this material. I am not one to get upset about what if's of artists who have passed decades before I became a fan of them but listening to this I can't help it. I am not use to hearing Lee Morgan like this and I would have loved to have more material of where he and Maupin were taking their version of what Coltrane and Dolphy were doing during their Village Vanguard sessions.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

On to disc 8.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Excellent music on disc 1.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Last one for today: The Complete Roulette Studio Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra - 10 CDs, Mosaic; disc 7

[​IMG]

Mik, Starwanderer, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Played the sides later released as Dimensions & Extensions. Slightly frustrating that, due to the convention of the time that sides 1&4 and 2&3 were together, playing the two sides with the same lineup i.e. sides 1&2 necessitated a change of disc.

[​IMG]

7. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

God is it depressing to read some parts of Miles's autobiography.
    At a certain point, around 1951, they were all addicts, or so it seems.
    Miles, Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins, Blakey, Lady Day, Trane, Dexter Gordon, Heath, Getz, Jackie McLean, and so many others.
    Do you think about that when listening albums from that period?

8. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

All I can say is that living in America during those times, most of these musicians led tough lives being subject to extreme racism and declining interest in jazz itself. I'm not convinced that anybody wouldn't have turned to drink and drugs to help them cope. The racism and the decline in jobs were the primary reasons several went to live in Europe, where they were less inclined to be treated like crud.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've been revisiting "The Last Session" release lately and really enjoying it. . . if you haven't heard it it's another window into future possibility.

Marzz likes this.
  10. fredhammersmith

A DVD tonight...
    A great concert by my favorite pianist.

[​IMG]

Voltaire, Six String and Starwanderer like this.
  11. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Since I had the mono button on... Might as well play some Miles!

[​IMG]

12. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Just to add to JETman's comments above regarding drug use. On top of that there was also the, not insignificant, cool or "hip" factor. This is not limited to the 1940's and 50's of course (nor limited to Jazz). Miles himself states in his autobiography that "musicians were considered hip in some circles if they shot smack". Added to this many musicians thought they could actually play like Charlie Parker if they took Heroin! Gene Ammons for one example.
    Miles claims that this wasn't the reason he "got into smack" (late 1940's), although it has been documented elsewhere that he was "overwhelmed" by his contemporaries such as Bird and Dizzy Gillespie. Miles playing in the 40's wasn't that great, especially next to Parker and Gillespie.

Also add to this, for Jazz musicians particularly, the pressure to improvise constantly, to always create something new, on the spot, sometimes night after night (when they could work). The drugs/booze was there to help. It was part of the lifestyle, "the thing you did".

White musicians weren't immune of course. Think of Stan Getz, Red Rodney, Art Pepper, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker and on and on.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I woke up way too early this morning.

Thelonious Monk
    Straight No Chaser

Mik, vanhooserd, fingerpoppin and 4 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]

Jazz In Paris | Laura - Don Byas (EmArcy)

Two 10" Blue Star albums originally recorded 1950-1952 and reissued on 1 CD.

24 bit remastering.

Mik, Marzz, SteelyTom and 6 others like this.
  15. Jgmh

Jgmh Well-Known Member

16. More titles from The Complete Columbia Album Collection - Herbie Hancock (Columbia/Legacy)

Continuing with CDs 22-27.

Four of these albums are new to me. I could do without two, maybe three of them. Two certainly belong in Disco rather than Jazz Beat.

Certainly no such issues V. S.O. P. Five Stars, (the funky) Mr. Hands or The Herbie Hancock Trio title.

[​IMG]

(22) Five Stars - The V. O. S. P. Quintet | (23) Butterfly - Kimiko Kasai & Herbie | (24) Monster | (25) Mr. Hands | (26) Magic Windows | (27) The Herbie Hancock Trio with Ron Carter + Tony Williams

Mik, jiffypopinski, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  17. Jgmh

Jgmh Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, rxcory and 6 others like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

19. Jgmh

Jgmh Well-Known Member

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Red Garland Trio with John Coltrane - Dig It! (Prestige) dark blue mono pressing.

Mik, Marzz, Ras and 6 others like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Tried the 3rd disc of the Quincy Jones Mosaic and disc 1 of the Johnny Richards Mosaic Select, but I didn't like what I heard and I'm going to sell them.

Now listening to: The Complete Capitol Studio Recordings of Stan Kenton 1943-1947 - 7 CDs, Mosaic. Mixed feelings so far, though I like Anita O'Day and June Christy.

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and cds23 like this.
  22. fredhammersmith

Well, still in Miles' autobiography.
    Getting out of the heroin phase, this great album.
    Sonny, Horace and Miles are sooooo good together.

[​IMG]

Mik, 93curr, Six String and 16 others like this.
  23. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Do you have any thoughts regarding the answers to your question regarding the "heroin phase"?

smilin ed and Marzz like this.
  24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of Stan Kenton. What I've heard is a ought as commercial as it gets.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, but the 43-47 set does have a lot of Anita O'Day and June Christy and, as I said, I like most of their vocals.