"The Knick" on Cinemax*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great show. I watched the HBO review of season one. I don't have Cinemax so I guess I'll wait a year for season 2

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

I, too, don't not have Cinemax....
    Here's hoping HBO will continue to show the new episodes!
    OR, perhaps, people who watch the show in the internet will 'coax' HBO into showing it!

3. vince

Starting TODAY @ noon, HBO2 will be showing a good bunch of them, back-to-back!!

4. vince

They're having a FREE CINEMAX WEEKEND this weekend.... so, I'll be able to see the first episode of season two!

5. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I watched the majority of the marathon on Saturday. I remember that the ads for this show peaked my interest, but I hadn't had the opportunity to watch in until Saturday. I really liked it. Hoping it'll be easier to watch Season 2.

6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

One of the best on TV right now period.
    Season 2 is great so far, it's such a well done show.
    The only thing that comes close is Fargo, they are both top shelf.

Bender Rodriguez and trem two like this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I liked season 1, but I don't have Cinemax now and just am not willing to pay for another subscription channel. I guess I'll wait until they air them on HBO next year sometime. Glad to hear season 2 is good.

8. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Ratings have been down so far this year. I enjoy it but I think that the more than a year break and scant promotion for this, even on the channel of Cinemax, is hurting this one.

9. vince

I, too, do not have Cinemax.....
    perhaps, they'll show it on Amazon Prime, considering they have "Banshee" on their system.

10. agentalbert

I wish Banshee and The Knick would just move to HBO.

11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

This series is a real kick. We just started watching season 1 a few nights ago on the stream, it is now in season 2. Set on the cusp of the 20th Century NY, centered around a city hospital not unlike Bellevue, Clive Owen is the soon to be chief surgeon at a place that seems populated with the poor from the Lower East Side, snotty young doctors, and society members on the board of directors, along with a slew of unscrupulous characters from corpse robbers to robber barons to gangsters. Owen's character, apparently based on a real life person, is addicted to opium and cocaine, and is a mad genius, inventing new surgical techniques, leading a bizarre double life. Another character, a French educated black doctor, is hired as the assistant chief surgeon to the chagrin of most of the staff, who have some pretty solidly entrenched ideas of his place. The scripting is wonderful, some of the initial operating room scenes are pretty ghastly, but a good reminder how far we have come, and the sets, alone, are worth the price of admission- marvelous Victorian age mixed with the early beginnings of "technology"- the telephone, X-Ray, more modern equipment, from medical to cars, all part of an era of dramatic change in how people (some people anyway) lived. The "feel" of the thing is great, from the opium dens and bordellos, to the faux European palaces of the nouveaux rich. A part of lost New York, with the vibe of the Alienist, and House, M.D. thrown in. I'm hooked. Anybody else watching this?

12. agentalbert

13. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

One of the great television shows, ever. Soderberg puts it over the edge.

14. seaisletim

Tremendous show. Well acted and top direction.

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I just started a thread on the show, having searched under The Knick in Visual Arts here and gotten no return- and another poster kindly informed me of this thread. We just started watching this on Amazon stream a couple nights ago- and are very taken with it. The setting, characters, writing, all very engaging. That era, the very beginning of the 20th century-- up to say, the sinking of the Titanic, which proved that "technology" did not necessary hold all of its promises-- seemed to be one of unlimited possibility. Granted, the denizens of that world, like ours, weren't all living the same life- the contrast between the black doctor's morning toilet and that of the Captain's daughter was provocative (as is a lot of the overt racism toward him). But, the mix of post-Victorian and "modern" is a period that I fancy in art, design, architecture and a lot of other things- even early 20th century symphonic music (admittedly, not evident here). And this seems to have all the elements- the noble characters, the desperate and despairing ones, from the palaces of the nouveaux riche to the hovels of the lower east side--it captures a sense of lost New York which made The Alienist so fascinating to read. I did a scant bit of research and was delighted to learn that both main characters were based (to what degree, I know not) on real life persons. This show has me-- and is far better in just about every respect than some of the other long form series that have gotten great ratings and my accolades as well.

17. seaisletim

After an appearance on Jimmy Fallon, I put 2 and 2 together that Eve Hewson, the actress who plays Nurse Lucy Elkins, is the daughter of Paul Hewson, or, as the free world knows him, Bono. Pretty cool

18. agentalbert

Yep. She's very good on the show, imo. A beautiful and talented girl, who seems like a lot of fun in interviews.

seaisletim likes this.
  19. seaisletim

Beautiful and fun describes every Irish girl I've ever met!

True, too, that she is talented. Looking forward to seeing her in other roles

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Love this show.

21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Nurse Lucy is hot for sure,
    these two are the most fun to watch for me, and their relationship is classic and entertaining.
    [​IMG]

amoergosum and Larry Mc like this.
  22. vince

It's astonishing to think of how expensive this show must be to make.....
    It deserves to been seen by more people!

23. agentalbert

Yeah. Maybe HBO should put it on, oh I don't know, HBO instead of the far less seen Cinemax.

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I did a search on Amazon as well as On Demand. It is only listed on cinamax, not HBO. Is there another source?

25. vince

Yeah... they DID show it last month.... a 'carrot-on-a-string' in order to get more people to order Cinemax.
    BUT, once I saw what little 'extra' you get from actually HAVING Cinemax, I decided against it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.