Songs destroyed by bad mixes so badly that you can't listen to them

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nostaljack, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I like the Mofi. Stereo and mono. Different flavors for every taste.

rxcory likes this.
  2. Meat City in particular it is badly served by the remix. Mind games, on the other hand, benefits from it. The muddy mix of Meat City is the type of muddy mix that benefits the song.

mooseman likes this.
  3. Paperback Writer. Anemic sounding compared to the mono and the mono has that phase effect on the mono.

rxcory and GV1967 like this.
  4. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

The new stereo remix is fantastic.

I've been in stores playing the Beatles where the overhead speakers are obviously set up in stereo or only one channel is playing through them, and it's only drums or only vocals, or obviously missing instruments.

5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Eddie Kendricks-Vintage '78- I don't like the way the album sounds, all of the songs, I can barely listen to it.

A lot of Van McCoy's efforts sounded "bad" to me, from the Stylistics stuff to David Ruffin. The one of the 74-78 albums that sounded a bit better to me was David Ruffin In My Stride. Everything else is marred sonically by something or other, I can't tell if it's McCoy's production, the mix or both.

Nostaljack likes this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The best version to my ears remains the vinyl 45 where it was a B side to Mind Games. It was a slightly different mix than the LP, really rocks, and even has a slightly different "munchkin" voice in one of the breaks.

blutiga, GV1967 and wayneklein like this.
  7. I agree. Still think the mono has a bit more punch though but Giles did a nice job on the remix.

8. Indeed. It was a different "message" played backwards at a different speed. I had both the 45 and the album as a kid.

9. Lemon Curry

I agree about the remix. I was worried Giles wouldn't be as bold as the original mono with the big riff, but lo he came through.

scott palmiter likes this.
  10. Lemon Curry

Have you deciphered those messages? Anyone?

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That's only the CD version of Iggy's mix, because it's brickwalled. The vinyl version sounds great.

kevywevy and ArpMoog like this.
  12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

God, what I wouldn't give for a non-Spector All Things Must Pass

13. From Wikipedia (as I recall, it's accurate)

Lennon used some of the backward recording techniques from his Beatles days on the song. On the album version of the song, after the first refrain of "Just gotta get me some rock and roll" there is a "squeaky" vocal which when played backwards has been deciphered as "**** a pig."On the single version released in the US and UK, an alternative backwards message says to "check the album."[

nosticker likes this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I see what you did there. ;)

My vote goes for the stereo version of Eleanor Rigby. :shake:

15. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I adore Neil Young's "I'm the Ocean" but the mix/production is so thick I get annoyed listening to it.

16. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

"Coming Down The Road" - John Fogerty

"Mother's Little Helper", "The Last Time" (both stereo) - The Rolling Stones

"Ticket To Ride", "Day Tripper", "Paperback Writer", "Revolution" (all stereo) - The Beatles

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

A couple metal ones both good albums but sound terrible.
    SODOM Obsessed by Cruelty
    VOIVOD Roar
    The voivod one in particular I wish would get a remix and remastering .

18. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

This is one of the great rock summer anthems of all time and it's like having my brain sawed open. I have hyperacusis and man, it hurts. But I LOVE it.

19. Not unlistenable by any stretch but i'd love Hendrix in Mono (on CD).

fr in sc likes this.
  20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Another vote of "no confidence" for Phil Spector.

Never was a fan of the wall of sound, but what he did to All Things Must Pass was egregious. Hearing the remixes from the Scorsesi documentary really opened my eyes to the potential of those tracks.

I still listen to the album but it's in the back of my mind how much better it could sound.

fr in sc, ralph7109 and SuntoryTime like this.
  21. Be nice if Fogerty would also reissue "Coming Down The Road" on CD. The single has never been reissued.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The entire stereo mix of Buffalo Springfield's debut. The album is no sonic masterpiece to begin with, but at least the mono mix is cohesive, with some punch. The stereo mix is wonky and wimpy

fr in sc likes this.
  23. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Knowing him, he probably destroyed the multis for that one and I don't think the master- as it stands- would sound any better on CD. Does it even exist anymore? I guess he feels the live rendition he did a while back is the perfect replacement.

24. Who knows? Very few people knew about the alternate takes of songs that appeared on the expanded remasters of the CCR catalog. I doubt that he had the clout for that at the time as it was for Fantasy.

GV1967 likes this.
  25. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

You need to seek out either a MFSL copy(that has both the mono and stereo mixes or the deluxe 2004 like mooseman mentioned in an earlier post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.