Sandy Denny 2012 Deluxe Editions*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SKATTERBRANE, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sandy Denny's material has been reissued so many ways, so many times. I have the 2005 Island Remasters of all the solo albums. Other than expanded content, do the 2-CD Deluxe Editions of 2012 have anything more to offer sonically speaking? I am tired of buying "remastered" product that is often not an improvement over previous editions. In fact they are often quite subpar.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  2. kevin S

kevin S Active Member

I don't notice a big sonic difference Worth the extra tracks tho if u r a huge SD nut like me

Jerquee likes this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you. Then I think I will be content with what I have.

4. kevin S

kevin S Active Member

If u can get your hands on her demos tho well worth it -if u have the Fledgling or notes and words set u r probably set.

5. Well it's good and bad news about the two disc deluxes--they are as compressed as the 2005 but the second disc for each are, arguably, worth picking up,particularly if you don't have the boxed set.

6. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

I just want that big boxset reissued and I'll die a happy man...

7. Kelv2014

Kelv2014 Member

Back in the days of the old newsletter for all things Richard Thompson called Flypaper I remember Frank Kornelussen was helping with a Sandy Denny project . This was in 1984 or 1985 and some of the Sandy Denny master tapes they were having trouble with back then. We used to talk long distance that my wife was never happy with when the phone bill came to the house. Since I enjoyed talking with Joel Bernstein at shows I somehow (with my Variety press pass) got backstage at either the Dan Folgelberg bluegrass show with Chris Hillman or a Crosby/Nash for their dinner between rehearsal and the show. Joel was on that tour tuning guitars so we talked over dinner and so I told him about the problems they were having. Joel knew the formula how to bake tapes that was a bit of a mystery back then. So I gave Joel the phone number to Frank and they figured it out. I guess they only get one pass after you bake them but it worked and Joel was thanked on the boxed set for his help. Think it had a blue cover? Felt kind of cool to be the middle man in that little exchange.

Always wondered if "Did She Jump Or Was She Pushed" by Richard was about Sandy Denny?

barnaby, bleachershane and Siegmund like this.
  8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Even the condensed version of that box set is OOP now & going for ridiculous money. I hope they do reissue the box and give people a second chance, it is fantastic.

Imagine70, barnaby and jamesmaya like this.
  9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

What are the good Sandy options on vinyl?

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I agree. I missed out on the big box but got the 4-cd version. Worth every penny.

eelkiller likes this.
  11. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

My favorite "Sandy Denny" song :

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Either original Island pressings or the "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" four disc boxset which is surprisingly cheap.

13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

If people get a chance, Philip Ward's book about Sandy's recordings is one of the best music books I've found. A great addition to I've Always Kept A Unicorn and Dave Cousins' Exercising Ghosts... and of course the 19 disc box set I am feeling very glad I was able to get.

[​IMG]

14. Yes. Linda and Richard (Linda co-wrote the lyrics) indicated in a couple of interviews over the years that it was inspired by it.

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I bet I really blew it when I sold my Sandy on vinyl LP collection to a shop at about $5 apiece. I had the first three Island albums, some reissue of the 1966-67 tracks minus one (so I know that was a budget label), Rising For The Moon, and the original Sandy & Strawbs from 1973. Reason was the Islands all had been corner cut. Now I see them listing for $30 upwards in the conditions I had them in which was near mint. I have it all on CD though, and all the Island Remasters for Fairport too.

16. Stunning photograph. :love:

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It's not going to happen according to the guy who compiled it: Sandy Denny experts: Complete Studio Recordings Box Set questions ยป

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.