My Skylan 4-post speaker stand review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rebbi, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebbi

rebbi Active Member Thread Starter

Hi, Folks,

I've just posted a new review on my audio blog of the Skylan four-post speaker stand. Lots of unboxing and assembly photos, for those of us whose hearts go pitter-patter over such things. :laugh:

It's right here. :wave:

Enjoy.

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

You should've used wild rice instead of white rice. There was an article in TAS about this. Seriously. The wild rice is more than twice as dense, resulting in a tighter bottom end.

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Live with that a while, then switch to sand.

4. rebbi

Seriously?!

It's funny, Noel specifically says not to use sand, but I don't know why.

5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

That seems like a stellar deal for that kind of quality and engineering, with shipping included. They look fantastic OP. Post up a review on those speakers when you get a chance, they look sublime!!

Edit - I emailed Sound Anchor for a quote on 4-post stands for speakers of similar dimensions to those Omegas and never even got a response. Mine currently sit on my subwoofers, but honestly they sound better than when they were on the Sanus stands I had them on before.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. rebbi

Sound Anchor may be a fine company, but when I got a price quote from them for stands for my monitors, they were substantially more expensive than the Skylan's.

7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Yea, just going through the site they were going to be $700+. Suddenly, $400 sounds like a steal :)

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I've had a set of custom Skylan 2 post stands in my office rig for years now. Excellent stands out of the box, but I suggest a few tweaks to make them even better. Install larger diameter fender washers at the bottom along with lock washers. Put a little thread locker on the threads, then tighten the nut as tight as you can. Otherwise, the rods tend to loosen over time. Another recommended tweak, replace those supplied spikes with high quality versions. If you have hardwood floors, get floor discs to go with the spikes.

It's been a while since I bought mine, but if I recall correctly Noel was worried about weight issues if filled with sand. However, with about 25lbs. of bone dry sand in each stand, I've not had any problems.

9. james

james Summon The Queen

I'm using the disc feet like @rebbi is and I really like them. A lot easier to reposition than spikes/cups

10. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Yeah...

11. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

What are the stands made of?

12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've been using Noel's stands on various monitors for over a decade. They are cleverly designed, well made, easy to use, look great, reasonably priced and sound better than any other stand I've ever used.

I will never have a pair of metal stands again.

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The top and bottom plates are MDF. The columns are PVC.

14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I agree with everything you said about Noel's stands, but I have to say that there are some good metal stands out there....perhaps I should say, were. I use Sanus Ultimate Foundation stands in two of my other rigs and love them as well. They use some clever isolation methods at the base and top plate. In addition, when mass loaded with lead shot and sand the metal columns are completely dead. Unfortunately, Sanus stopped making them. There is also a company in Germany that makes some really top notch metal stands with all sorts of custom options.

Edit:

The German company, http://www.liedtke-metalldesign.eu/...es/"Liedtke-Metalldesign Lautsprecherständer"

Another I forgot about in the UK, http://www.trackaudio.co.uk/precision/precision.html

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  15. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have a set of single post Skylan stands that I bought for my Harbeth P3's some time ago. Noel recommended sand for that stand. Nice guy, I have spoken to him several times. I also have Sound Anchors for my Harbeth C7's. Very nice stand. I don't like the company though. Very difficult to communicate with, even when you do talk to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.