How much does sound quality matter to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Socrates, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing

SuntoryTime, Robert C and shaboo like this.
  3. phonogenicity

phonogenicity New Member

The following is a 2014 list of recommended recordings:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-hp-super-lp-list/

4. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

I very rarely use CAPS, but enough is enough ...

See, this exactly is your problem: Even if you finally got something right, you cannot simply say "I was wrong. You were right. Thanks." Instead you're resorting to some new discussion about "magnified waveforms" and being "technically not wrong", when this is actually completely irrelevant: If you want to look at digital sound (to compare it with analog sound), you obviously have to look at an D/A converter's output, not at its input. Educating other people on some web page called aboutvinylrecords without such basic knowledge is laughable and embarrassing, especially if said people are believing this crap and are using it to start discussions in other forums and to defend their false claims.

Actually, the way you learned anything in this thread was by throwing arbitrary pieces of internet findings at people and let them do the sorting, explaining, correcting and interpreting for you ...

5. Scott Wheeler

I don't think he learned anything. At all.....still not sure he isn't some sort of bizarre troll.

SuntoryTime and Robert C like this.
  6. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey Scott Wheeler, don't flatter yourself. You're contemptible. Trying to be decent to you is like trying to be nice to a snake in the grass.

7. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident Thread Starter

Shaboo, you have not successfully refuted anything I've said on this thread. Ask some real sound engineers how they feel about my posts on this thread. A few people on this thread are acting like wannabe blowhard sound technicians. Sell your CDs. They're on the way out -- accept this truth. Hi-Res is the future. Stop clinging to 44.1 kHz sound, it's the way of the past.

8. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Welcome to the club ...

9. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Looks like most of us like a standard cd or average vinyl, but I think when you really worship an album, you can get an itching for something special, be it hi rez, surround mix or half speed mastered LP.

Socrates likes this.
  10. Scott Wheeler

No kidding! It's quite the buyer's market right now.

SuntoryTime, Robert C and Tim 2 like this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

My point was, if it's good music keep it regardless of format.

I've been consecutively collecting vinyl since the early seventies but listen to CD's 90% of the time.

SuntoryTime and Brother_Rael like this.
  12. Scott Wheeler

Oh, yeah of course. :edthumbs: But it's a great time to be buying CDs too. Amazing value for the money.

SuntoryTime, Robin L and shaboo like this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I guess thats true in some area's but around here new CD's are still the same price. The used bins are usually picked clean, by the time I get there anyway. :cry:
    Lp's I find are way over priced, I only purchase them if it's something I really like.

14. Scott Wheeler

I do most of my CD shopping online. Ebay and Amazon

SuntoryTime likes this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yeah, thats probably the way to go.
    I'm still living in the past, but I like searching for music in stores and chatting-up other music lovers.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  16. Den.

Den. Well-Known Member

Sound quality matters a lot to me. I didn't vote. I prefer vinyl; but I would be willing to bet that for many of us, sound quality matters just as much to those who prefer CDs.

Scott Wheeler, Robin L and Tim 2 like this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And all that vinyl that was digitally recorded too. Oh hang on...!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  18. Brother_Rael

So I guess those hi-res Genesis SACD boxsets sound great after all and wayyyy better than the Japan for US Atco CDs.

Oh wait a minute...!

SuntoryTime and Robert C like this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Dunning Kruger? I've never even met the man.*

(*With a nod to Billy Connolly)

SuntoryTime, Robert C and Robin L like this.
  20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Insulting forum members is not acceptable. Do so and take a chance on suspension. Please disagree in a civil manner. Thanks.

Robin L and Tim 2 like this.
  22. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Sound quality matters very much hence joining this forum. Unfortunatley, original vinyl pressings of my fave artists are too expensive, CD's take up too much space living in a bungalow and high res players are not accessible which leaves me with playing 44.1 on the PC and MFIT on my iPhone. I choose not to import lossless DUE TO issues scyncronising iPhones to iTunes on a desktop PC. I still collect SACD's now and then though.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Used CDs are a safer bet than used LPs. And because so many people are ripping their collections to their hard drives and dumping the CDs to used stores/thrift stores, it's a buyer's market.

Just found both books of the Glenn Gould recordings of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier for $6. Do these CDs sound as good as the LPs? Probably better. Columbia was making a lot of off-center records when they released book two, almost impossible to find properly centered LPs of that set of records. And as regards the surface noise, the mid 1960s through the 1970s were not Columbia's best years. Imports at that time were from dubs of master tapes and sounded like they were dubs. The later LP masterings had digital intermasters. This is a specific instance where CDs of something originally recorded in analog are better than any available analog masterings.

24. Scott Wheeler

:mudscrying:

25. Scott Wheeler

Yeah, because "civil disagreement" has been working really well on this thread. :whistle:

SuntoryTime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.