Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I'll take something from 1966 or a combined live 1965-1966 set to go with BS 12. Plus, all the Pennebaker footage from both years and whatever else they got.

After that, I don't care what they put out.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Dylan's concerts in 1965 evolved so much from the beginning of the year to the end of the year that a collection documenting the arc of his growth is called for. There were several historical concerts, and I don't just mean the BBC, Newport and Forest Hills, but other shows that are sitting in Sony / Columbia's vault. Some of these have been booted, but some haven't. Others can be heard in snippets here and there on official releases like Dont Look Back. He starts the year in the Spring playing acoustic for about 75 minutes, by mid-summer he's way out on a limb, and by the end of the year he's playing half acoustic, half electric for 90 minutes. I much prefer his acoustic sets from this year to the drugged shows in 1966. Along the way he's inventing new arrangements, trying out different way of playing the songs, writing increasingly surreal lyrics, changing his voice. I hope the next collection will be Live '65.

matt79rome89, notesfrom and George P like this.
  3. Richard--W

The complete recording sessions collected in The Cutting Edge is only half the story. The other half is in the live concerts.

Mike Bass, notesfrom and ruben lopez like this.
  4. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Yes sir!:righton:
    We should get the complete live recordings starting with Newport 65 ending with his last gig with The Hawks in 1966 before the accident.
    I don't really know how much of this was professionally recorded or how many gigs they played but i sure wish to have it.

5. Richard--W

We should get the live concerts starting in January 1965, encompassing the Spring tour of the U.K. where several important concerts took place and which were recorded, then the BBC concert in June -- his finest hour as an acoustic performer -- followed by Newport and the rest of the year. According to Olaf's Chronicles, Sony / Columbia have several additional concerts in the vault from throughout the year, including a complete show at Carnegie Hall in October. There is more variety and experimentation in the 1965 tours than in the 1966 shows.

The Cutting Edge, Part 2.

notesfrom likes this.
  6. dalsh327

dalsh327 Forum Resident

Blood On The Tracks era, "Christian era" live" and the rehearsals, a new Dylan/Band 74 album, Dylan/Dead box set (because of how much the single album is hated), Dylan/Petty.

The Newport shows are on the "Other Side of the Mirror" DVD.

Renaldo and Clara.... that would be awesome if Ronee, Joan, Sara, Sam Shepard and Ratso did DVD commentary and any archive interviews that might be out there. I think Bob would be reluctant to do it unless Scorsese or Robbie Robertson persuaded him, and I could see him writing about it in "Chronicles 2". It should be a 6 hour miniseries and promoted as "surreality TV". It's tough to watch as a movie from beginning to end, but in 2 or 3 parts is easier to digest. No doubt Criterion has people asking them to put it out.

They should have thrown the Highway 61 CD-ROM in the massive box set for the hell of it.

7. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

So if they in fact do release the 65-66 concerts in 2016 for the next installment does everyone think we'll get similar options like The Cutting Edge? The usual 2-cd of highlights, a 6-cd release that gathers the "most important" 3 or 4 concerts and a massive 15-cd or so release of everything they have?

8. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I love the "surreality tv" idea!

9. Richard--W

Regarding Newport 1965: there is a complete uninterrupted audio tape from the soundboard that Murray Lerner didn't use, or didn't have. In the film, the audio is matched to the camera footage, and since Lerner's camera footage is incomplete, so is the audio. The audio tape is particularly revealing to hear the audience reaction after the electric set. All I'm saying is that the complete concert should be released on CD.

Moreover, "The Other Side of the Mirror" was shot by a rank amateur and ultimately edited by a rank amateur. Someone needs to wrestle the audio tapes and the 16mm footage out of Murray Lerner's cold dead sticky fingers. Yes he was there. No one denies that he was there. But he did a lousy job. His failure to properly prep the shoot and co-ordinate his camera crew resulted in incomplete footage that was badly assembled. The best I can say for his work is that it's in focus, mostly. A professional editor could probably make a smoother, and perhaps even more complete, assembly. Where there is no footage, there are stills.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Mike Bass, notesfrom and asdf35 like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

One can only hope there'll be a 15-Cd something.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  12. Richard--W

Come to think of it, "The Other Side of the Mirror" is so inept it should be taken off the market, and Murray Lerner's name obliterated from the project. Hand over the audio tapes and the 16mm footage to a professional who knows what he's doing. A much better documentary and a less incomplete concert can be assembled. Ditch the stupid pretentious title and simply call the new edit BOB DYLAN AT NEWPORT.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Carserguev likes this.
  13. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Just keep the ears !

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

More than that. It should also include the full Pat Garrett, Planet Waves, Desire, and Street Legal sessions.

The Cutting Edge has raised the bar.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Look man, carrying the Cutting Edge up the stairs was hard enough!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Don't think I'll lay $700 down again, at close to $40 per CD

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would donate a Casio keyboard instead of an organ.

syf likes this.
  18. Richard--W

Donating an organ gets you nothing. You think Bob Dylan is going to swap an over-priced box-set for an organ?

Auction a kidney to the highest bidder on the black market for internal organs. You can live okay with only just one whereas desperate parents will sell their homes, liquidate their assets, and assign their paychecks to replace a failing organ their child needs to continue living. One of your kidneys should raise enough money at auction to pay for Bootleg Series #13 and fund your independent film.

19. wanderer1

wanderer1 Forum Resident

Let's see, he's been on a "Never Ending Tour" since 1988, almost 30 years, and has issued how many live albums from the NET? How about a live NET Bootleg Series vol 13 or soon?

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Nice idea, but I'd much rather get studio sessions that we never knew existed or have only been rumored

21. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

It takes a little work, but you can construct a 24 song NET compilation from officially released B-Sides and compilations. Considering they would probably use a lot of those in a NET BS set, I'm willing to wait and let other material come to light first.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Color me not in favor of a comprehensive 65-66 Tour mega box. Repetitious. There is a bunch of other routes this series could take that would be much more varied and inner'esting.

Now, if they have some much upgraded audience or soundboard concerts that we have only had in harsh quality or not at all from the 65/66 era? Absolutely. But date after date of the this period or any period really is not what I would want.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

But, I dont think youre going to see another mega set like The Cutting Edge. That was a very special time period in which Dylan was firing on all cylinders. Arguably his most creative. I think thats why they did it. Well, that and profit.

24. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

ugh -- we have to wait again for Blood On the Tracks? This is exasperating....

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  25. If there's a tape out there of him reading the phone book, I'd probably buy the 2-disc highlights.