Stereo vs Mono: The "White" Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KinkySmallFace1991, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I've got a 1st issue stereo, MFSL and the mono reissue from The Beatles in Mono box set and in most cases I prefer the mono. Some track that come to mind is While My Guitar Gently Weeps...sounds punchier, Revolution sounds smoother especially the Harrison's guitar and Helter Skelter just jumps out at me.

2. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have to respectfully disagree. Airplane, like cowbell, is always better if there is more:winkgrin:.

Tero likes this.
  3. 905

905 Senior Member

Both, you need both if you like Beatles.
    One thing though, Don't Pass Me By is just too fast in mono.
    I wonder if the McCartney scholars and Starr readers can agree if Paul played the basic drums while Ringo played piano.

Galeans likes this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, I came to the same conclusion after hearing the outtake snippet on the Anthology DVD. Definitely sounds like Paul on drums and Ringo on piano and (guide) vocals. Presumably the overdubbed drum fills on the finished record are Ringo, with additional piano by Paul.

swampwader and 905 like this.
  5. DennisJordan

DennisJordan Active Member

I lied about Why Don't We Do It In The Road
    I prefer it in Stereo ....so that tips the balance a bit ....oops

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If I'm in the mood >MONO's <my first choice.

7. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

Which mix did the Fabs work on?
    Mono right?
    Which version did most if us listen to?
    Stereo?
    How bout a WA mono fold down from stereo? Hey just a thought !!!!

8. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident

What did Bungalow Bill kill? ...mono

oldsurferdude likes this.
  9. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

I agree on the cowbell. It was James Brown's main instrument.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  10. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

I was wondering how that would sound, decided to do a quick audacity edit for fun :cool: . Here's a sample;

mega:///#!Fpln0JxI!fGmvpSR2SP2nuH_b3ypi9aHquGLewh5Lu6x7_dDdpQA

it's pretty messy, but the solo is interesting. Still 'leaks' through in the vocals.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I give the edge to the stereo version, although I like both of them.

12. alexpop

UK:-Vinyl:-Mono

13. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

It's like comparing fellatio techniques (from a receivers point of view). That said, I think the mono has a little more to offer (imo)

14. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I didn't hear the White Album in mono until the early 80's when I first purchased the Japan red vinyl issue. Having listened to the album for 15 years prior in stereo, outside of a few tracks in mono on the US "Rarities" album. Listening in 1983 to the mono mix came as a pleasant surprise with it's additional punch on several tracks. I guess I'm partial to the stereo having grown up listening to it. But actually prefer the overall sonic presence of the mono. It's one of those Beatles records(Like Sgt. Pepper), that you can choose between the mono or stereo and enjoy a slightly different listening experience, both with equal musical enjoyment.

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've always liked the rock tunes better in mono and the quieter, more acoustic tunes in stereo. But I vacillate all the time, so I probably shouldn't even opine.

Grunherz54 and Tom34772 like this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I'm pretty close to you here. But still, if it's all acoustic, I prefer stereo.

17. alexpop

I'll take your word on it. :)

Al Smith likes this.
  18. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Was the White Album ever released in the US on vinyl in mono? I know originally it was just UK, I believe. But what about years later? I know I had a reprint vinyl mono of Pepper in the 80s because the 87 CD I bought in 92 sounded weird to me and now I know why. However, hearing that the White Album was stereo only in the US seems strange because the 2009 mono CD sounds very familiar to me as if I maybe had a reprint 80s mono vinyl. Maybe it was as import. Then again I'm more confused because I grew up with "Blisters on my Fingers" then again I knew of that from my parents having it on a single release in the 70s. But I swear the faster Don't Pass Me By seemed really familiar because the first time I heard it on cd I had the same strange experience as the first time I heard She's Leaving Home on cd. They both seemed unusually slower than I remember them on my vinyl in the 80s that I bought as new reprints. Even Revolution 9 sounded more familiar to me in mono.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The White Album never got U.S. release in mono although two tracks (helter Skelter and Don't Pass me By)did appear in mono on the U.S. Rarities album. As far as Rev 9, it sounded familiar in mono because there was never a dedicated mono mix made of the track. You were simply hearing the familar stereo mix in fold-down mono.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yeah, I knew the mono Revolution 9 was a fold down but I just meant everything being centered but then again what was clearly my 80s stereo vinyl album probably didn't have a lot of the same stereo affect the cd has on headphones. I never owned Raraties so not sure why Don't Pass Me By sounded so slow to me when I first got the White Album cd. To be honest I don't think I remember it being quite as fast as the mono version but not as slow as the stereo 87 CD so I must be losin it :)

Drifter likes this.
  21. Cemetry Gator

Cemetry Gator Forum Resident

"Helter Skelter" is interesting. I think in the context of the album, it works better in the mono mix, since it goes into "Long, Long, Long" better than the stereo version, since it fades out, and then here's this quiet song that follows up. It blends nicely, and has a much better flow than "I"ve got blisters on my fingers." But then the stereo ending is really cool, and it's very iconic. So, it's weird. On one hand, stereo may be the better mix, but mono works better with the rest of the album.

For the rest of the album, I like both equally. It's interesting to hear both, since they were trying to give people reasons to buy both.

22. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Mono - its a better mix.

23. alexpop

When in doubt I always go
    Back to mono.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

25. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.