Bought a New Turntable That I Love!! (RoyLCraft SP-1600MK2)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lymbo, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Looks life a TT you can have for life! Enjoy your vinyl.

sean

Lymbo likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

In my opinion, this SL-1600mk2 (fully automatic) and SL-1700mk2 are well deserving of this kind of treatment and replinthing. I also have experienced the stuck feet syndrome after reassembling tables after repair. It's a little tricky to get them back together properly and there really isn't that much "give" to the float suspension (although some claim the float makes the 1600 and 1700 more lively than the often mentioned "darkness" of the 1200). I think one of my tables floats and the other doesn't anymore.But going the other route and giving it a solid replinth might just make these monsters. I think these tables are well worthy of customization because they are just great tables. They represent the pinnacle of Technics design. Despite their model numbers, the latter 1800 and 1900 were a step back using cheaper construction and the 1200 -- well, it's simply a stripped down version of the 1600 and 1700. But for those desirous of the 1200, they are electronically EXACTLY the same SL-1200s (exact same drive and arm) only they are even more sophisticated with a high quality, motorized auto-return system that operates via an optical mechanism completely decoupled from the arm. It's an SL-1200 for those who want the benefits of automatics. It's solid as a rock and fine sounding. It's nice to see other people recognizing the Sl-1200 is really the "poor cousin" of the SL-1600mk2s and Sl-1700mk2s -- which astounding sell for less than the SL-1200 in a case of hype over reality -- like a stripped down Chevy selling for less than a fully loaded one -- and the 1600 being given the "star treatment" for a change. Of course, the SL-1200 has the variable speed slide, but what normal record spinner would ever use that when you have a quartz-locked direct drive system?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    bluemooze, Lymbo and OcdMan like this.
  3. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Is this going to be your main turntable for the foreseeable future?

4. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe so. I still really like my Pioneer PLX-1000 and Technics SL-10 but I'm leaning toward this being my main.

OcdMan likes this.
  5. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'm still fascinated by the removal of the springs.
    Could you post a needle drop?

6. Lymbo

Sent you a message.

7. Lymbo

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/zdc5g0

Not sure if I did this right. But this should be a 24_96 needle drop for "Let There Be Rock" by AC_DC from my RoyLCraft Technics SP-1600MK2 using an Ortofon MC-3 Turbo cart.

8. Lymbo

9. Lymbo

Any feedback....even critical, on the needle drops would be appreciated.

10. russk

russk Forum Resident

How would you compare it to a PLX1000?

11. Lymbo

Actually, the PLX stands up to it quite well. The Technics may have a bit punchier bass. I do love the auto features of the 1600 though.

12. Lymbo

A few more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

That looks ace man, bet it sounds great.

14. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

Very nice there. I wonder if my SL-1210 MKII could be modded that way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.