Poll: 'Mr. Tambourine Man' album by The Byrds (1964–1973) in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have all The Byrds studio LPs through Farther Along. Monos and stereos for the first five. An all time favourite and indispensable band for me. And Mr Tambourine Man has to rate as one of the all time great debut albums. When you listen to how they sounded just a few months earlier, it's all the more amazing.

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Ladies and gentlemen let's have a fine hand for The BYRDS!

3. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

I started off with History of the Byrds on double vinyl in 1989. From that I bought up their late 80s CD pressings and vinyl, and then gradually replaced most of them with the Sony Legacy expanded CDs.
    I picked up the 1990 box set for €10 a while back and also have Sanctuary III on vinyl.

I love the Byrds and have come to love Gene Clark even more as a result. I am completely psyched about the imminent release of The Lost Studio Sessions 1964-1982.

4. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Same here. :)

I clicked 'All essential' because I think that is about the closest description. I own the following, as Legacy CDs.

Mr Tambourine Man
    Turn! Turn! Turn!
    Fifth Dimension
    Younger Than Yesterday
    The Notorious Byrd Brothers
    Sweetheart Of The Rodeo
    Dr Byrds And Mr Hyde
    Ballad Of Easy Ride
    r

plus
    Live At The Fillmore - February 1969 (2000 release)

and Mr Tambourine Man/I Knew I'd Want You (Original 1965 UK CBS #1 single)

So I'm missing the last four studios, but will acquire them in due course (actually, while I'm thinking of it, I'll take a look on Amazon...) My favourite is Younger Than Yesterday and is followed by Sweetheart Of The Rodeo. although sometimes they are interchangeable. And then Turn! Turn! Turn! would be next. I've owned a few comps in the past (and see no reason why not to again, even if I have the tracks already; they had single after single that was stunning IMO) and also Turn! Turn! Turn! and Younger Than Yesterday as Sundazed mono LPs but sadly they got stolen. One day, they will be replaced and more will follow...

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

An Essential album, and the first album to be called "folk rock." I had the 8-track tape, but got rid of it when I replaced it with the vinyl album. I have all officially released albums during the group's time together, plus the Pre-Flyte sessions, the 1973 reunion album, the black box set, Live at the Fillmore, and a live boot from 1969 (Shame on me). My favorite is Notorious with Younger Than Yesterday coming in a close second. Untitled,IMO, is their last truly great album.

6. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I meant Fillmore West...

7. catman

catman Forum Resident

Two copies....the original LP, which I "borrowed" from my brother when he went in the Army in '68, and never gave back (he moved on to CD's, and it's beat to hell anyway.) Of course, I moved on to CD's as well and have MTM in this form and play it at least 2x/year. Still my favorite Byrds record. I have most of their stuff, missing a few, such as the reunion album. "Feel a Whole Lot Better" was my lone lead vocal in my high school band.

8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I have The Byrds' Original Album Classics set plus Sweetheart of the Rodeo on CD.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Love ,The Byrds, Monkees.

Folknik likes this.
  10. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

No argument from me here, although there are some gems scattered across the last couple of records:
    Citizen Kane and Jamaica, Say You Will on Byrdmaniax
    Bugler on Farther Along (one of the Byrds most emotionally effective songs and I don't even like dogs so much!)

Folknik likes this.
  11. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I couldn't find a category that matched what I have, so I didn't vote. For me their essential material was with both Gene Clark and David Crosby in the band, but I still listened through So You Want To Be a Rock and Roll Star, though admittedly, I got more into that song when done by Patti Smith. I have the 45s for Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn Turn, 8 Miles High/Why?, theLP of 5D and for CDs, the two Byrds box sets. I really liked the early era and lost interest with Byrdmaniax, Sweetheart of the Rodeo and all. I like Clarence White's playing, but I wasn't that into the Byrds going in that direction. Chestnut Mare was just something I couldn't get into at all, and I was working in a record store in 1972 with a guy who loved it and played it every day he was in. I still can't hear that today without flashing back to that time, and then turning it off as quickly as I can. On the other hand, I could listen to Mr. Tambourine Man any time. The beginning of that particular song is just iconic: the 12 string, then the bass slide up, then the band and vocals all falling in is just a great sonic rush for me.

12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

All officially recorded and released music by the actual Byrds, none by any of the subsequent fake Byrds lineups.

13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

everyone should be given copies of the their first six albums when they're born.

sami likes this.
  14. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I said all essential releases 1964 - 1973 (is the Byrds 1973 reunion album considered essential? That's the only Byrds studio album I don't have.

15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

No offence, but they're one of many 'great' bands I can only take in a Greatest Hits/Best of fashion. And I don't really play that very often.

16. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

I have only Sweetheart of the Rodeo and a lot of bootlegs.

17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

All I got of theirs is the "Turn! Turn! Turn!" 45 (of course), "Eight Miles High," and a cover of Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay" that preceded by a matter of months the release of the Bard's own.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You are way above and beyond the call of duty here. Relax. :)

sami likes this.
  19. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I have the 1996 reissues/remixed versions of the first five, plus Essential and There Is A Season. I'd love to hear the mono mixes of the first five one day.

20. sami

sami Mono still rules

I just recently picked up a Columbia CSM 2-Eye Sweetheart, so I have Columbia 2-Eyes of everything through Ballad of Easy Rider, and everything else digitally. As far as I'm concerned, they are the greatest ever American band, and it isn't that close.

The pioneering of different genres, the exquisite harmonies, the different personalities in the band, the way they were able to reinvent themselves as they lost members - all of that plus a collection of singles that stands up to any other band's. Oh, and Mr. Tambourine Man is one of the essential debut records in the history of pop music.

Now I'll get off the fence.

21. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I have the There is a Season box, but only find myself listening to the first two discs. Might pick up expanded versions of their pre-Parsons albums some time.

22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The Columbia releases through Ballad Of Easy Rider plus the first boxed set. The first four albums are my favorites, about as good as anybody's work.

23. if having a boot shames you . you would not want to be me.

Folknik likes this.
  24. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

One of my favorite American bands :

I own:

Mr. Tambourine Man
    Turn! Turn! Turn!
    Younger Than Yesterday
    Fifth Dimension
    The Notorious Byrds Brothers
    Sweetheart Of The Rodeo
    The Byrds Play Dylan

The Byrds Greatest Hits
    Never Before

The Byrds (4 CD box set)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

All essential music by The Byrds (1964–1973)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.