Pixar's The Good Dinosaur

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

aarsonbet and Captain Groovy like this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

At least they're putting out some original films again. Seemed like they were putting out nothing but sequels/prequels for a while there.

Then again, I know Nemo 2 and Toy Story 4 (why??) are in the pipeline...

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Why? Money, my dear boy! :) Those franchises make huge money for Pixar/Disney in both ticket sales and (especially) merchandising.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

New trailer is up. Man, this has got some good-looking animation! I think Pixar has raised the bar again. The movie was delayed over a year, but I think the wait will be worth it. Looks absolutely brilliant.

I'll predict right now it'll hit $700M worldwide, easy.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

At some point (soon) you'll get diminishing returns as the environment animation becomes too photorealistic while the characters remain looking like plastic toys. It'll be like putting Roger Rabbit in a live action movie.

Having said that, yes, the movie will do just fine.

6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

What is strange in the preview in Australia before another movie Pan the trailer for this had no voices I was thinking this was some sort of cartoon version of Lassie or Benji until I saw the full trailer. very strange marketing,

7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

It's already gotten to that point. These characters look cheap and terrible to me in comparison to those lush, gorgeous backgrounds they are placed into. I loved Roger Rabbit, but this isn't done to that same purpose. As you said, the general public won't care, and this will still be a hit.

brew ziggins and Texastoyz like this.
  8. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Well Nemo was a fantastic movie, deserving of a sequel I think. Long over due really. (if what you're saying is true. I haven't heard anything about a sequel)

As for toy Story, personally I really like the series. I've thought there is a lot that could be done with it to keep it going. And not just from a kids movie point of view... (although I'm sure this wouldn't happen) but what if they made it into an grown up movie now, get a little more "real" with it. Have an adult spot a toy moving and start going crazy trying to explain it to the rest of the family. Doesn't even have to be the known families that are already in the series. All the kids are older now... Have all the toys that were ever in the series be brought back. Show them in their current homes / dumps / side of the highway environments that they are residing in. I'd like to see a toy that just messes with people, moving things and has fun making their person think they are going crazy lol. There is so much they could do with it. And most of the kids who grew up with this movie are in their 20's now... So I think they're would be an audience.

Think about the possibilities... These toys NEVER die! Or if they do, we haven't witnessed it. Let's get real with it, and show the more real side of these toys. Facing the types of consequences and things that we as adults are now asking, realistically, while watching the movies.

applebonkerz likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been getting a lot of promo from Disney on this...looks cute.

10. Michael

that's all?

11. Michael

I can go for both! why not? TS 4 will be fun.

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Pixar just announced their release slate through 2019, and 4 out of the 6 films are sequels...

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think you're wrong. My take is that if they had placed realistic characters into the same backgrounds, it wouldn't have registered as a cartoon -- more of a motion-capture experiment gone horribly wrong. I think Up proved you could have stylized but realistic backgrounds and still put cartoony characters in them and have the story worked. Monsters University did the same thing.

I think there's a line that gets crossed when a character gets too cartoony or too realistic that the audience either gets uncomfortable or gets turned off. I would bet that Pixar went through months of endless tests to determine where the best compromise would be. I'd agree that this line is different for different people, but my belief is if the story is good enough, you'll get past it in 5 minutes. Although... there were moments in Monsters U where I had to stop and say, "man, can you believe how fantastic those backgrounds look?" So there is that danger.

brew ziggins likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

15. This movie's preview left me disinterested. The subject matter has no appeal for me. I haven't enjoyed an original Pixar film since Up and this one is not likely to change that record.

Texastoyz likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Right. I'm not saying that the characters also need to be photorealistic (they shouldn't), but they could have made them look a lot better than something you buy from a dollar store. You can enhance their visual representation AND still retain caricature-like features or exaggerations that kids will find endearing, including funny movement and behaviors. Here, the contrast between the two is rather jarring, to my eye at least.

17. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I agree completely. It also seemed like some of the background creatures, both on land and flying, were rendered better than the main characters are.

brew ziggins and Texastoyz like this.
  18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Saw it tonight. Movie is visually gorgeous but otherwise unremarkable. It was like "The Lion King" without the family drama or comic relief. I had no problem with the character designs since the animation was so expressive, but the story was really basic by the numbers coming of age stuff.

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Truthfully I saw the trailer and it reminded me of "Walking with Dinosaurs" or whatever CGI created documentary. Sure kids will eat up "Good Dinosaur" over holiday weekend, and family will all go see it at Multiplex to get away from Turkey leftovers.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sadly, I've read a few reviews that echo the same problems. It's still predicted to do very well in terms of box office, but I think it's not going to be the massive hit Pixar was expecting.

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  21. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

IMO, The Good Dinosaur looks like a Picasso napkin on a lace tablecloth. :hurl:

Maybe it's just me, but the differences between the over-simplified character CGI and intricately detailed landscapes are jarring to the point of ugliness. Heck, Rex from PIXAR's first Toy Story had better CGI treatment (Arlo needs to fire his agent and get better representation if there's a sequel!) ...and if the criticisms of the story are accurate, TGD sorely needed a script Doctor! [​IMG]

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Texastoyz likes this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, it's not just you. :)

23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'll be seeing it with the family today, will report back with my findings (will do my best to put away my cynicism about these movies first)...just so tired of being marketed to death by the Mouse and all their brands.

24. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Well it's enjoyable enough, but certainly not up there with their best efforts. My daughters aged 6 and 9 liked it just fine, but my wife and I both felt the story was too simplistic and echoed too many other films we've seen before.

As for the clash between animation styles, for us it was disconcerting. IMO it was a mistake to go so realistic with the landscapes compared to the characters. That said the landscapes, water, and weather animation is very impressive, and there are many bits with the characters that are genuinely touching and amusing. I just wish there could have been more thought put to the story itself, some original ideas and not just a retread of all the Disney archetypes. I hate being so cynical but when you're certain about an upcoming death of a parent character AGAIN, it gets old. But then the movie isn't for us when it comes down to it, and our kids like the films as made.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  25. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

It'll probably do OK, but not like PIXAR's more prestigious films. I'm pretty sure that ticket sales were below expectations given the target demographic and Thanksgiving crowds.

TGD'
    s domestic opening places it a distant second to Mockingjay Pt 2's second week box-office talley. Disney can't be overjoyed with the modest results. In some ways it's reminiscent of A Bug's Life's weak Thanksgiving opening back in '97. Anyway, I think it's safe to say Disney will do some serious number crunching on this franchise's marketing potential before green lighting a sequel. My 2 cents (not adjusted for inflation).

:cheers:
    Cat

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.