Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Keep the reports coming, please.

My suspense will escalate during the week. Will it sell out before I have the money to buy it on the 3rd, or not?

2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I don't think this has been touched upon. No word about the sources.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  3. dercloud

dercloud Forum Resident

trumpet sounds likes this.
  4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Not to defend the sellers but in reading the descriptions these two sold items were opened and used, so on the flip side, they did run the risk of not recouping their cost. But yeah, uninformed buyers.

5. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

457 pages of thread... Nobody has info on what the sources for the vinyl are???!!!
    Anybody??
    Who mastered the vinyl?

thrivingonariff likes this.
  6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Have you tried asking the guy with the E harmonica?

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Interesting piece, but he must not have been listening very closely if he suspects that Take 15 broke down because Dylan "ran out of words". Also, no mention of the moose?!

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

"Throw them all up!"

9. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

That's a new one on me -- thanks, Rev.

(BTW: I'm gonna have to come back and re-read all of your posts about the Blonde on Blonde tracks -- I'm still trailing far behind you. :kilroy:)

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  10. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Shocking, on the SHMF, I know. It's almost as if people are more interested in the music than the technology! ;^)

11. Richard--W

I wonder how many copies will sell today on Black Friday. A lot, probably.

12. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

So far, 13 copies since 8:31 am

HominyRhodes likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Probably less than normal because people are busy doing other shopping (if they "do" Black Friday). And since there is no sale price for this item, it doesn't matter if you get it today, tomorrow, or next week.

14. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

The 6 CD Deluxe edition is now $84.99 on overstock.com

joannenugent likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

The 18 CD edition is now $999.99 on theresasuckerborneveryminute.com... ;)

16. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Thank you! Ordered.

17. Arnold Grove

Thank you! Ordered. ;)

18. Richard--W

update?

19. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Wait another week and see!

20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Did some more listening. Damn, I'm almost at the end! It's not the longest "musical journey" I've made (the last major one I did was going through Dylan's studio albums and bootlegs, from Thanksgiving 2013-June 2014, and that was many many more hours of material) and it's also very enjoyable. Didn't do much traveling today, so I couldn't even finish the last hour of studio material. It's amazing that they managed to cut SIX!!! master cuts in one day.

First up was Most Likely You'll Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine. Everything seems pretty set in place by take 1, except for McCoy on the trumpet. It's fun to hear them shape it up though. Next up, Temporary Like Achilles. Not a song I listen to often. Take 1 is in a different key, I believe. But they work fast, and 3 of the 4 takes are complete! Without much variation to soak in, I was instead enjoying the new mix, and really paying attention to Robbie's guitar work. He definitely worked in his style, and it gives the song a nice edge.

Rainy Day Women is a one take wonder. I think by this point, everyone is feeling good, and they know they can knock these songs out fast. Johnston believes that they sure can, and tries to get them to do Obviously 5 Believers in one take. Well, they take just a bit longer than that. Dylan seems to have a little trouble coming in at the right moment, and the breaks are too sparse without the bass. Frankly, I'm surprised that they let take 3 run to completion, unless they just wanted to see the song through, even if it was too sloppy to be a master. Now, I have a question. Is Dylan playing the harmonica on 5 Believers? It sounds very distant, unlike his voice. Could it be McCoy?

Then they go at Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat for the fourth time around, and knock it out as one take wonder. This mix really emphasizes Dylan's guitar for the intro. Unlike the rest of the set, where Dylan's guitar is often mixed quite low! I forget which version it was, but I like the mix where the piano is very prominent throughout.

I didn't get to I Want You. Still, over the course of 13 hours, they cut 6 master takes. Considering how the sessions started off, this is really impressive. Perhaps the pressure was on a bit too. That being said, it seems Dylan's next album was cut in just under 13 hours. That's twice as many songs. Not all in one day, though.

Man, not even an hour and a half left. I'm looking forward to the Hotel stuff. I loved the snippets we got from Don't Look Back and 65 Revisited, and now these tracks can heard in full (especially Wild Mountain Thyme which was criminally short in the films) along with the previously unheard tracks. And I'm even looking forward to hearing the Glasgow tape again. I only listened to it once before, and that was already a few years ago.

highway, joannenugent and subtr like this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I definitely got the impression that that is not Dylan on harmonica on "Obviously 5 Believers". One of the musicians asks another to do the count in (count ins were not a Dylan specialty, clearly) because he has "a mouth full of harpoon".

Thelonious_Cube and Dave Hoos like this.
  22. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It's McCoy on harmonica on 'Five Believers'.

John DeAngelis, spindly and slane like this.
  23. voles

voles Forum Lurker

According to Roger Ford - http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BobPart1/BobPart1.htm

'Fourth Time Around' received a further overdub on 16th June just prior to a hasty re-cut of the album. Does anyone know that this overdub was and what version is actually on the Collectors Edition as the released track? I listened to the latter yesterday and thought I detected a slight verbal slip - but now I can't find the 'mistake' even after after replaying the track twice...!

24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I think it refers to the overdubbing of a new drum track, thus deleting and replacing the old drum/keyboard track on the multitrack. The drum/keyboard no longer exists on the multitrack, so this is the version included on the box set (same as on the currently available "Blonde On Blonde", only a new mix). I'm sure Sony still has in their vault somewhere the first stereo downmix of "4th Time Around" with the old drum/keyboard track, as it was this mix which was first released on LP before getting replaced.

In case you've never heard the first mix, to give you an idea about how that sounded listen to the takes prior to the master take, which still contain the keyboard.

HominyRhodes, voles and slane like this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Which sounds like a Dylan lyric in its own right.

Lost In The Flood and RayS like this.