The Beatles 1 and 1+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nikh33, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

So is it justified being on #1, did Come Together hit the top in the USA ??

2. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Not really, was combined in the USA on strength of sales & radio play. On it's own Come Together actually out preformed Something on Billboard (before it was combined) and Cashbox (where it went to #1 on it's own for 3 weeks).

Maidenpriest likes this.
  3. Maidenpriest

If it was a choice between Come Together though, Strawberry Fields would be included because Something made number 4 in the UK, even by the criteria for this comp SFF placed higher than Come Together or does its USA placing override this ?? (I am going to have to re-adjust its placing in my UK Singles Comp now and relegate Come Together to the B Side Disc :( )

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In the USA, the COMBINED Something/Come Together single made #1. So both were credited as #1, although the term "Double A-side" was not used. As mentioned previously, before the combination was done, "Come Together" peaked at #2 and then fell to #7, while "Something" held steady for two weeks at #3. Then, the COMBINED 45 single was credited as #1 the following week on the USA Billboard singles chart.

5. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

If they were following rules of #1 for the whole thing, For You Blue should have been on it, since it was officially listed as a combined #1 on Billboard. You Know My Name even though it was issued in between it wasn't listed as part of a 2 sided #1.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  6. Maidenpriest

Definitely the B Side or it would have the Apple Uncut !!

nikh33 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  7. Maidenpriest

And unfortunately I guess the combined Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane never made number 1 on Billboard, given them a reason to drop SFF :(

8. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

WE all Loved Strawberry Fields, but at the time, Penny Lane was what we considered the A side.

9. Arnold Grove

This is strong evidence that it was NOT a Double A-side in the UK.

zobalob and nikh33 like this.
  10. Maidenpriest

In the UK as you probably remember Strawberry Fields was considered the A Side, although it was double A. it was always listed Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane the 1967-1970 album proving this !! (Edit actually Penny Lane was listed first but this was done for the adverts because on the map featured Penny Lane is to the left and Strawberry Fields is too the right, looking at a copy of the trade advert now, I forgot what a great book Stannard's The Long & Winding Rd is :))

zobalob likes this.
  11. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

My memory is that Penny Lane was A side. Maybe it just got played more on the radio and on Top of the Pops

12. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems that they had made a decision in 1976... :D I just had a look in my Beatles singles case because I suspected it was like this.

13. Arnold Grove

I agree. I still use that book regularly to look up stuff.

And love your new avatar!

Maidenpriest likes this.
  14. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Still, discussing the track list on 1...!!! Jesus!
    It's like when a topic about Oh Darling appears, the discussion revolves around John saying that he should have sung the song himself, it's never about how great Ringo plays on it, or about a chance to listen to an outtake during takes of John leading the band with Games People Play, even if it's just for some seconds. At least to know if John was playing the piano or bass!

15. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

The BBC would not have played 'Come Together' at the time due to the appearance of the words "Coca Cola" (which in the following year would necessitate Ray Davies having to adjust the lyrics to 'Ape Man').

A UK promo 45 of Something / Come Together can be seen here with the A-side clearly shown
    http://www.45cat.com/record/r5814uk
    But this does not answer why the chart listings all appear to show both titles.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

In the absence of an obvious label difference indicator like this, I've noticed that on the overwhelming majority of singles I own or have seen, the matrix number is one integer lower on the a-side than on the b-side. This is true for the pictured record here - Something has a number of 7YCE.21369 whereas Come Together has 7YCE.21370. I've found this pattern to hold true for almost every 45 rpm vinyl disc I've seen. There are exceptions, but rarely.

17. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Lola

18. Maidenpriest

there really is nothing great to talk about the tracklisting because it is crap, reason why songs are not included when they qualify is interesting !!

19. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Yes, not sure why I thought of 'Ape Man'

Kermit27 likes this.
  20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

My copy of this single from the early 70s (U.S.) shows SFF on the "unsliced" side and Penny Lane on the "sliced."

zobalob, nikh33 and OneStepBeyond like this.
  21. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Yesterday was also an EP. Eight Days A Week was on the Beatles For Sale EP.

22. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Whatever!

23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Is it though? :shrug:

Then again, I never even thought about the track list until I came to this place....so thanks? :)

BTW - dig the new pic!

Maidenpriest likes this.
  24. Maidenpriest

whatever what ?? you felt the need to post so what is your opinion or is that 'whatever' your contribution, maybe ignoring something if you don't like what you read is a much better option rather than feeling the need to express an opinion without actually saying anything :)

25. Arnold Grove

So at lunch time (Eastern USA time), the consensus was that Something/Come Together was a Double A-side in the UK. But by dinner time, it seems as if the tides have reversed, and most indications are that it was not.

Another reason to never take anything for granted here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.