Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrong thread, bud. That's got a cult following for sure. :righton:

2. I could watch this on loop. Grab some brew and get ready for some eyebrow raising fun:

goodiesguy, Thwacko, gramfan and 3 others like this.
  3. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - I thought this was the installment of the prequel trilogy that saved the series from being completely useless IMO. While it does have some of the infamous corny acting like the other two, it didn't bother me too much this time around. Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid are the best performances. The space battles and lightsaber duels are the most fun of the whole trilogy. I do think it deserves more credit than it got.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - This film may have the most interesting depiction on Atlantean culture I've ever seen. The look of Atlantis in this version differs from the heavily overused Greek and Roman architecture as it shows a mix of Mayan, Khmer, and Tibetan architecture. The idea of a crystal being the main source of life for the people is something worth talking about too. The villain could've been better than your typical money-grubbing mercenary but the rest of the cast is funny and diverse enough to keep one interested.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. But, there's a caveat with this one, right? RIGHT?

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It's become my personal life goal to get Criterion to issue Grosse Point Blank.

6. Thaaaaaat's what I was looking for. :thumbsup: (I agree about the ending. :cheers:)

The Hermit and Marzz like this.
  7. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

8. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Bubble Boy

jerol

9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Zach Galifianakis' crowning achievement!

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Looking at recent films, apparently I'm the only one who liked the 2015 "Fantastic Four".

Might not qualify for the thread because I didn't love it, but I did enjoy it quite a lot. I kept waiting for it to suck but it never did!

11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Regarding my picking The Godfather, Part lll:

I would agree Robert Duvall should have got off his ass and Winona Ryder should have grown up instead of chickening out. The film would have been stronger with them in it. But I accept the film as it is. The virtues far outweigh the weaknesses, and it's the logical next step in the Corleone family saga. Make no mistake, it's an authentic part of the Godfather saga. There's a story being told that has genuine visceral power. The film also shows director Coppola at the creative height of his visual talent; he's no slouch as a filmmaker or as a dramatist.

I miss Francis Ford Coppola on the big screen. He was just too good at what he does to be forced out of the industry.

MrCJF likes this.
  12. My question is, what did they have in mind for that proposed part 4?
    Also: wasn't Duvall's absence a contract dispute? Either way his absence was glaring. George Hamilton's character was clearly a stand in.

13. Hey, if it happened for my favorite movie ( Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas) then any title has a shot. Keep the faith.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

You're not the only fan of those! ;)

That's a great movie. And the transfer on the current blu-ray is pretty mediocre. I'd buy a new one.

What part was Winona Ryder supposed to play? Pacino's daughter that Sofia Coppola ended up portraying?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    mikeyt likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The book "The Godfather Legacy" states that Duvall wanted too much money.

I seem to recall hearing that Duvall also didn't want to do the movie because the part was small and the character had little to do...

Marzz likes this.
  16. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I can't answer either question. I recall Coppola saying in an interview somewhere that he and Mario Puzo talked about a prequel focusing on Alfredo discovering that he was gay while in Las Vegas and that it fell apart when Puzo died. I'm glad it did, personally. Also, I know that some actors who wanted to do Part 2 and Part 3 walked away because Paramount wouldn't meet their agent's demands for salary, percentages and residuals, but I don't really know the facts.

One thing I am certain of: there should have been a Godfather film set during prohibition in the 1920s and 1930s, or that period before the start of The Godfather but after the flashbacks in Part 2 . It's a real shame this was never done.

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

80 Steps To Jonah...

gramfan likes this.
  18. Michael

yes, a bad trip!

brew ziggins and Hutch like this.
  19. Michael

I love all three!

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

My entries for movies I really like but probably have few other fans:

The Howling II: ...Your Sister Is A Werewolf (1985)
    The Amityville II: The Possession (1982)
    Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)
    Roller Boogie (1979)
    Deathstalker II (1987)
    Eye Of The Beholder (1999)

CrazyCatz, gitters and Texastoyz like this.
  21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Terry Gilliam and Johnny Depp have a pedigree that George Armitage and John Cusack (arguably) do not, though. I've been planning to make a "Three Things" video for Grosse Point Blank that I would post to Youtube and the Criterion Facebook page, just haven't taken the time to sit down and do it. I wasn't joking when I said that it's a life goal to get them to issue it. Getting the rights for this film shouldn't be that difficult or expensive, and IMO it really is one of the great comedies of the 90s; a near perfect ninety minutes of humor, emotional depth, and Cusack's everyman charm.

22. no9

no9 Member

Mud (2012) McConaughey, Witherspoon, Sam Shepard, Micheal Shannon and Joe Don Baker
    Bug (2006) Ashely Judd, Harry Connick Jr. and Micheal Shannon
    The Fountain (2006) Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  23. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Yes. Film industry nepotism at its worst. One of the most inept acting performances I've seen. Not to be outdone by her directorial efforts Lost In Translation and Marie Antoinette. Gack.

Huck Caton likes this.
  24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I really love Lost in Translation. Not a fan of anything she's done since, though.

SandAndGlass, DLD and SMcFarlane like this.
  25. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Yeah, I admit that film was well received, and certainly launched Scarlett Johansson's career, I just could not get into it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.