1978 Sansui stack ... help?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AndyMac, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMac

AndyMac New Member Thread Starter

Hey there! My folks are cleaning out their basement and they're looking to get rid of a stack of equipment dad bought in 1978 and was quite proud of. They still use it today, though I think it needs a little work, like the volume slider has a few spots that need cleaning, etc.

I don't know much about this kind of equipment, so I went looking for some folks that did on a semi-active forum, and I found this one. Hoping some folks here know enough to give me some guidance.

What he's got:
    All Sansui equipment
    - A-1100 amplifier
    - D-65BW cassette deck
    - T-700 tuner
    - P-L35 turntable
    - PC-V750 cd player
    - Two S-820U "the tower" speakers

They've got it all connected in the basement and it works decently (mom uses it when she's working on her projects down there).

So what I'm looking to figure out is basically, what do I do with this? Is it "worth" salvaging / selling / or just dumping on craigslist? I've got some electronics knowledge (including a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, but don't hold it against me, I can solder, too), so I feel like I could completely refresh this system if it's worth doing, or I could even more happily sell it to someone who would want to do that. I'm not even sure yet how much "refreshing" it needs other than a good cleaning and cleaning some of the electrical contacts like the sliders.

If, however, these pieces fall in the category of "fairly worthless 70's tech", then I could just dump it on craigslist for some local college kid to work on and use for his dorm :).

I'm a lover of some quirky old things, so I didn't want to commit the sin of wrecking something that's a treasure to someone else.

Please advise ... and thanks!

2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

You might want to try the Sansui Forum at Audiokarma.

3. AndyMac

Great! Thanks!

4. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

Keep it! :uhhuh: To this day,I still have my old sansui audio rack from 1979. I use for my pre-amp and amp. Let your mom enjoy it,she finds it useful.:wiggle:

5. AndyMac

Lol. That was my initial advice to them as well, but they're gutting and re-doing their basement. Mom's the one who primarily wants it gone and Dad never goes in the basement to begin with :). So it's a cool system, and it sounds pretty good, but no one in the family wants it that I know of.

6. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I think thats after the heyday of Sansui. as Wally said check over at AudioKarma

7. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i had a sansui "rack" from the early 80's once the speakers went i just ditched the rest.

8. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

It's actually "fairly worthless 80's tech", not from the 1970's, so don't feel bad selling it cheap to some college kid.;)

jeff

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Their rack stuff was of much poorer quality than their separates, which is the norm for all manufactures back then.

10. AndyMac

Got it. Confirmed it's 80's stuff. Mom was certain it was from '78, but Dad confirmed he bought it in '85. So ... not worth fixing up :).

Thanks for all the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.