Bought Sennheiser HD 598 On Amazon Today $94

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dukes Travels, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dmann201, bluemooze, Bolero and 3 others like this.
  2. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

3. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

yep I picked a pair of those up as well

Dukes Travels and Ham Sandwich like this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Nice, so much better looking than the beige. I never liked the looks of those.

5. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

Congrats on your purchase. That's a great buy and i am sure you will enjoy them.

Dukes Travels and Erik B. like this.
  6. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

7. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Have your converted your HD555s to HD595s yet? I did with 3 pairs I own & am very pleased... ;)

8. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

No, I might look into it. I have always been happy with the sound quality.

A side note about my other Sennheisers: I have a pair of Sennheiser OCX 880s that I use at the gym. You can't kill them! Previously I used various Sony models that had terrible sound and/or failed after 3-6 months. I got the 880s for about $50 CDN about 4 years ago. I abuse 'em daily - especially when the wires become knotted.

9. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Got some here in the UK from Amazon - £75 - will be a week till they're in stock though

10. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I have both the 555 and 595 and did not feel confident enough to do the modification to get a second one of what I already had.

But I have to tell you that the 598 is a big, noticeable improvement over both. At this price, it should be a no brainer. After trying the 650's and not being happy with them at all (I now know I need a headphone amp for the 650, which I did not know when I bought them), got the 598, then a second pair just because I loved them so much.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can save another $20 off of these today if you use the Amazon Now app and apply code GETITNOW. They're coming tomorrow morning for me, gave the driver a $5 tip (weird?) so $86 and done.

12. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

[
    How do you feel the 598 improves on the 595? I am curious as an owner of the 595 and the older 535. I have never been impressed with the 595, I actually now prefer the sound of the older and cheaper 535. I think the 595 just sounds kind of dull, although it is comfortable and lightweight which is nice. I mostly use AKG K712 now which I find much more spacious and detailed then the Sennheisers as they should at the price.

13. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Just better clarity and wider soundstage, by a wide margin. Did an A/B before writing this and again not even close, the 598 over the 595. A bigger jump than the 595 over the 555. I know what you mean about the 595 being (a little) dull, but they are sonically very solid but maybe unexceptional for their comparable class.

And again, at this price, don't think about it. I would guess the price drop is because they are being discontinued so I wouldn't wait.

I did wait for them to drop in price for a few years. Almost bought them at 300 Euros in Berlin about 3 years ago. Paid $169 each for the two pairs I got on Amazon 2 or 3 months back.

14. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Oh, they are now back to $165.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Got these in the other day, love them! For <$100, I don't know how they could be beat. I listed via the OPPO HA-1, which is overkill. But later I'll give them a listen via my Sony UDA-1.

One thing is for sure, they are really light on your head, and fairly comfortable. The build quality is not as good at $500+ headphones, but the sound makes up for it. My other headphones in this range are the Audio Technica ATH-A500X, which are closed back. The 598s are a much more enjoyable experience, assuming that sound isolation is not a concern.

16. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

They may sound good, but they look tacky. Good sound vs tacky, hmm.....

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've had a pair for over a year and I really like them. They fit over my ears perfectly and they are very comfortable.
    I don't really care for the color either but the sound and comfort win over aesthetics. They don't leave the house so no one will see me. :shh: They still look like new too. I haven't had any structural issues so far. I listened to a friend's pair of AKG K240 and they felt quite cheap by comparison. I couldn't imagine listening long on those. I want to upgrade in the future but not sure what. I like the Sennheiser sound if the HD598 is typical. I'm leaning towards a balanced connection for the Pono.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

They do?? I rather like the look.

[​IMG]

Bolero likes this.
  19. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Same here, I think they look fab and have a nice feel to them. I wonder if he was thinking of the original none SE model which is some kind of beige/wood combo - not to my taste but some people clearly like it.

Bolero likes this.
  20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I did it! It's an easy reversible mod. Opens up the soundstage a good bit.

21. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Great 'phones.

22. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

has anyone got a case for these?

I use them commuting on the train, would be nice to have something to protect them, while they are being carried in my knapsack

wondering what's out there

thx

23. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

I jumped on that deal too. I love them. They are super comfortable and much more pleasant to listen to than the Shure SRH-440s I was previously using at work. Running them with a Schiit Magni/Modi setup. I'm as happy as I can be. My only concern is how they will hold up physically.

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Anyone know how these sound compared to Grado 125s?

25. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I'm content with my Sennheiser 558s, but that is a great deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.