CBS SPECIAL PRESENTATION--Remastered (or recreated), in HD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chip TRG, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I've never seen a CD for the soundtrack. But yes, I was amazed at how "Call To Danger" had been reconfigured (I had no idea that the original "Special" consisted of three snippets of a song from another of their shows). Recreating that was way more fun than recreating the spinning "SPECIAL".

Vidiot likes this.
  2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Gems-A-Bems and Vidiot like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've got the CD, but didn't remember it was from FSM. Absolutely terrific soundtrack full of memorable cues.

Did you actually do this? The graphics are great, and I can see that a lot of time was spent working on it.

It does technically need 3/2 pulldown in order to match the "broadcast telecine" look of the original, but I'm being a little nitpicky. I think the film weave was carried a little bit too far, but that's me. I don't dispute there have been shows broadcast (including some I worked on) where the weave and jitter made me cringe. A lot of that is gone now with pin-reg scans, which makes me much happier.

4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Tommy Shaw had 6 weeks off from touring earlier this summer....

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

In truth, a skilled graphic artist could do a bunch of versions of this logo in less than a day. But I bet it might be about 5-6 hours. Never underestimate the ingenuity and passion of nutty, obsessed fans.

Chip TRG likes this.
  6. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member Thread Starter

True, but as an archivist, I've found that sometimes those "nutty, obsessed fans" end up helping out when least expected on occasion.

7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I did not do this. I did something similar about ten years ago as an intro to another project.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Absolutely. I'm sincere in my admiration for anybody who can do a polished, high-quality project -- even if they're obsessed and nutty.

Gems-A-Bems and Chip TRG like this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Maybe off topic, maybe not....
    If I remember correctly, there was another CBS Special Presentation bumper in the early 70s, nowhere near as brassy and urgent as the one re-created here. I remember it was very low-key, and the animation had a line drawing of a family and a house. With a muted trumpet melody.
    Anyone remember this?

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

O Don Piano likes this.
  12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

That's the one!
    40 years of vague memory brought back to life!
    I loves the internetz!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.