Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No. Robert Duvall's role. :laugh:

2. Don't under estimate Cusack's star power. He's due for a comeback. And when it happens GPB will be one of the first films to be reconsidered. (Stanz's new Ghostbusters gig may help bring some attention to it.) Again: Keep the faith.

Wait. EDIT: Gilliam has pedigree? Yeah. Of being a pain in the ass, box office poison.
    Seen the new Don Quixote movie? Yeah, me neither.

EDIT 2: when I went to see Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in theaters I was literally the only human being there. I sat in the middle seat of the middle row, with my favorite "fun guy" and bought the ticket, taking the ride. (luckily the theater was literally across the street from my apartment at the time. When I left the theater that two lane street I had to cross to make it home seemed to stretch for eternity. )

EDIT 3: If you care that much, do it!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Trapper J and mikeyt like this.
  3. I can think of better, more psychedelic trips. This movie took a well known Korean and turned him into a joke.

Michael likes this.
  4. I sat next to her on the subway last year. She looks just like she did in that movie.

EDIT: Sofia. Godfather 3

mikeyt likes this.
  5. Add Howling 3 while we're at it.

6. Who doesn't like Tommy Boy? I'm sure that's considered a classic 90s films, along with the only to (two) bearable Adam Sandler movies.

7. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

On Her Majesty's Secret Service would easily make my top 5 Bond Films, it is a grossly under rated film. George Lazenby is a pretty solid as Bond, but he made the huge mistake of not doing a second. Telly Savalas is still my favourite Blofeld, there is something very restrained yet sinister about his performance (which was sadly lacking from the most recent Blofeld) and Diana Rigg is, as always, faultless as Tracy, still the best Bond Girl. Love this film.

My favourite American film is DELUSION, a great little independent film directed by Carl Colpaert in 1991 and starring Jennifer Rubin, Jim Metzler and Kyle Secor.
    Unfortunately it has never been released on DVD and so I haven't met anyone who has even seen it, let alone dislike it.

Another one would be the French Film TOUTES PEINES CONFONDUES directed by Michel Deville in 1992 and starring Mathilda May, Jacques Dutronc and Patrick Bruel. A great little thriller, a few nice twists. Mathilda May is perfect.

arley and The Hermit like this.
  8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Doesn't Gilliam have a few titles in the collection? His films haven't been commercial hits but he's the type of creative auteur that Criterion likes to give attention to. His films all have cult status, which is something I'm not sure Gross Point Blank has. I feel like the 90s were filled with good to great comedies and dramas and it's gotten lost in the mix.

The one time I was the only person in the movie theater was for Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous and I loved it. It felt special getting that experience all to myself.

The Hud likes this.
  9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Modern Problems
    Swamp Thing
    Flash Gordon

Various biker films.

skisdlimit and Pinknik like this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

King Arthur (2004) Yeah, it makes Excalibur (1981) look historically accurate by comparison, but after reading so many panning reviews and being noncommittal when my wife bought the DVD sight unseen (just because we're into the whole Arthur thing), I was completely surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. There's just something special about the rugged faith of Arthur and the hard-bitten fierceness of his knights that just makes this a treat.

The Man In The Iron Mask (1998) Similar story, my wife (girlfriend at the time) dragged me to this movie and I was shocked to discover it was about The Three Musketeers! I was completely ignorant of the novel. Even Leonardo DiCaprio (whom my wife also hates more than I do) can't ruin this film. The story of the aging heroes standing up one last time for king and country punched all my buttons and also spurred my interest in Dumas' novels. It only gets dearer as I get older.

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  11. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

How could one really hate Flash Gordon?

brew ziggins likes this.
  12. He does, yes. But Robin Williams is one factor. Hunter S. Thompson and Johnny Depp is the other. You can do the math on why which films of his have made the cut.

EDIT: but there's always licensing issues too. so who knows. But on the surface it seems to be because of star power or lack thereof.

My advice to Gilliam for getting the Quixote project off the ground (yet again): Cast Ian McKellen. thank you, and good night! :wave:

13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I don't know? Campy? The dialogue is cheesy (not to me) but the colors used in the film as well as the beautiful women (Ornella Muti) among one of them is appealing. I find the colors to be some of the best from that time. The sound effects are great as well. And Ming was great! I saw this movie in the theater when it came out.

14. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

And don't forget about Queen!

nsmith1002 likes this.
  15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Oh yes of course, how could I forget. The SDTK is awesome. I have it on vinyl and cassette.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Chris Farley was great! I really enjoyed his work on SNL. I have no problem with Adam...ever.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea.."bad trip".

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Assassination Tango.
    Robert Duvall gets to strut his stuff, and be baddass at the same time, not bad for a seventy year old.

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Can't agree with that at all. Lost In Translation is fantastic, as is her first movie, The Virgin Suicides. I haven't seen the other.

nsmith1002 likes this.
  20. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Great choice, a film I revisit regularly. Hard to imagine an actor like Warren Oates being a leading man now!

Mechanical Man likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Hackers". It's silly, stupid, and cheesy... and it's just fun. :)

22. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I don't think it's about star power as much as it's his very unique vision and storytelling. Having the stars sure helps, but it's the stories and his direction that have made these films the cult favorites they are.

His Criterion contribution is kind of amazing:

Monty Python And the Holy Grail
    Time Bandits
    Brazil
    The Fisher King
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

That's artistic pedigree. When I pitch to Criterion Grosse Pointe Blank, I'm going heavy on it being one of the 90s best gems with a spot-on soundtrack, the creative and quirky fun screenplay, and the element of having everything that made Cusack one of the 90s best stars. I can't think of any Criterion titles where the director is practically an unknown so it's going to be tough, but I'm gonna do my best. :cool:

Zoot Marimba and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

According to Coppola himself, the planned fourth installment was to be like Part II, in that it would show the rise of a new Don - in this case Vincent - alongside a parallel storyline from an earlier time - in this case centering on Sonny - they started working on ideas but Mario Puzo died in 1999 and Coppola dropped it... he was right to do so, even if Puzo hadn't died, the story was over.

Robert Duvall wanted to do the film, his Tom Hagen character was the second most prominent person in Coppola's and Puzo's original story outline - which was supposedly to see a growing rift and dissent between Michael and Tom - but Paramount only wanted to pay Duvall a fifth of what Al Pacino was getting, Duvall was asking for half, which was entirely reasonable considering his character's importance in the overall saga... but the studio refused to budge, and that was all she wrote, alas.

Ohhh, I forgot that one... unlike anything I'd ever seen before, very strange indeed but yet strangely transcendent too.

Darren Aronofsky for a Dune remake!

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Uncle Buck

Home Alone

Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  25. xios

xios Senior Member

I like Captain Ron

Lightworker and Mr. E. Tramp like this.