Beatles mono question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spice9

spice9 Senior Member Thread Starter

Are the mono mixes on the Beatles U.S. albums box the same as the ones in the original and much-lauded Beatles mono box. the one featuring the British version albums? Thanks...

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

In a word, yes.

3. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Are you sure?
    Not completely to the best of my knowledge.
    Some of the mono mixes on the 2014 US albums set are unique US mixes, unless they were fold downs in the 60s, then they are replaced with the 2009 versions.
    But there were some nuances to the US mixes in the 60s that were at the same time not fold downs and the 2014 set uses those and not the 2009 mixes.
    http://www.thebeatlesrarity.com/2014/01/26/the-u-s-albums-box-set-a-final-word-on-mixes-used/

coffeetime likes this.
  4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

From reading the press quotes, they are mostly the UK mixes, but with a bit of trickery to make you think they are the US Capitol releases.:biglaugh:

ohnothimagen likes this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

There are at least 8 unique U.S. mono mixes on the Beatles U.S. albums box: "I Feel Fine", "She's A Woman", "I'll Be Back', "I'm Looking Through You", "Michelle", "And Your Bird Can Sing", "Dr. Robert" and "I'm Only Sleeping".

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

These are the unique US mixes on the box (not the same as the UK mixes):

MONO
    Long Tall Sally
    I Call Your Name
    And I Love Her
    I'll Cry Instead
    Any Time At All
    When I Get Home
    I'll Be Back
    I Feel Fine
    She's A Woman
    Michelle
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Doctor Robert
    And Your Bird Can Sing

STEREO
    The Word
    I'm Looking Through You (standard 1965 mix, but with false starts)
    Day Tripper
    We Can Work It Out

Additionally, the stereo 'If I Fell' is the standard mix but sourced from Capitol's tape. Also bear in mind that most of the 1965 tracks are the 1987 remixes, not the original mixes. The box also includes the incidental music from AHDN & Help!

Mark Wilson likes this.
  7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

8. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

It's actually a very-good question. I hadn't thought about it before seeing this thread, but I have multiple original US Beatles LP's, and a few are US-marketed albums. Take "Beatles '65", which is one of those where the tracks were remixed, even adding echo & reverb to certain instrument and vocal tracks (VERY-unlike the old Blue Note jazz LP that I'm enjoying as I type this... Sorry, I haven't heard this in quite a while and forgot how natural this old 2-track stuff sounds, especially on a tube setup from the '60's).

Anyway, despite the mix futzing, I still love "Beatles '65". My copy is in especially-good shape, and it's a mono pressing. I need to revisit that and especially the movie soundtrack version of "A Hard Day's Night". It's been quite a while. I got the all-analog mono reissue of the UK album version last year along with "Sgt Pepper", "Magical Mystery Tour", and the "Mono Masters" triple-LP. For the most part, I prefer the UK titles/mixes/masterings for Beatles stuff, with very-few exceptions, if any. When I was growing up, I went to school with a friend who, by age 12, owned original vinyl copies of every single US title, as well as the UK titles. He probably still has it all, 30+ years later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.