Enjoying my new Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Smitty43, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty43

Smitty43 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is my 1st dac and has anyone got any of the Schiit DAC's and what is your thoughts on them? I listen to Pandora One with USB cable from the laptop and it seems to take some of the edge off the music. Any suggestions to improve the sound quality will be greatly appreciated. And be gentle I'm a old Fart.

james and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. Smitty43

And my system is a Musical Paradise MP 301 mk3 and ZU Omen's Dirty weekend speakers and Morrow Sp5 speaker cable Morrow MA5 IC to the MP 301.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have the Schiit Bitfrost Uber and for me it was a game changer. I never realized just how good CD playback could sound until I added it to my system. They've just released a couple of upgrade options for the Bitfrost, no doubt I'll go for one of them at some point soon. I also use a Meridian Expolrer portable DAC with my desktop system, an excellent little device. Incidentally I bought both of them on the Forum classifieds and saved a ton of money.

adamdube, Bill and Smitty43 like this.
  4. james

james Summon The Queen

Do you have a preference between the two?

5. Smitty43

I looked at the bitfrost. But the Modi 2 is within my budget and works very well. For the CDP I use a Cullen digital coax cable.

6. DigMyGroove

I only briefly hooked up the Bitfrost to my desktop system, and there when listening via small PSB Alpha PS1 speakers didn't hear much difference. Since the Meridian is designed as a desktop or laptop computer DAC I've never heard it through my full stereo system which is where the Bitfrost is hooked up, so I can't offer an opinion on that. They're really apples and oranges though, the Meridian is tiny, lightweight and designed for travel, the major reason I purchased it; the design is quite an accomplishment. I should also add that I have the Ver. 1 model, there is a newer device available now. The Bitfrost is a weighty piece of gear designed with upgradability in mind, which Schiit has just delivered on to very positive reviews. You would definitely not want to be lugging it back and forth between your home and office.

james and Smitty43 like this.
  7. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

I too have the Biforst and think it's terrific! I just sent it in for the "multibit" upgrade. I'll have it back Thursday. Can't wait to put it back in my system and give it a listen.

Hutch, Ham Sandwich and Smitty43 like this.
  8. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I've been using a first version Modi (optical) for awhile now and think it's great too. I have an Apple TV hooked up to it and stream CD quality tunes via Tidal. Sounds good to me. I noticed a decent sound quality improvement when I upgraded my cheap optical cable for the Audioquest Cinnamon cable for what it's worth.

Smitty43 likes this.
  9. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I have a Gungnir MB and it has exceeded my expectation. I started out with the DS, which was no slouch either. I upgraded to the MB a few weeks ago. Seemed like it to awhile to burn in, but worth the wait. I run it with balanced XLR cables and through a Schiit Wyrd too.

10. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have the original Gungnir, a Modi and a Modi 2. All highly recommended. But all with different hardware.

11. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I had the Bifrost at one time and still have an original USB modi. Both are excellent dac's but the Modi is really a tremendous value. What a great dac for 100 bones.

Smitty43 likes this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Another big fan of the optical Modi. I don't have any fancy engineering theories about it, but it works and sounds great, and it's put my computer files (and a bunch of amazing 24/96 vinyl needledrops) on an equal footing with my turntable and CD/SACD player in terms of enjoyment and musical immersion.

johnny q and Smitty43 like this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I have a (non-Uber) Modi 2 at work, and couldn't be happier. I have a DACMagic Plus at home, but if I ever decide to go another route, I'll probably end up with a higher-level Schiit. I'm really impressed with the Modi, so I imagine the fancier models are also fantastic.

Smitty43 likes this.
  14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I was looking to add a simple DAC for home listening, mainly for casual listening through the main set up. This would be for 10% or less of my listening, the rest is vinyl. I am considering something like this or the Dragonfly. I'd rather my computer be the source. With digital, I'd rather avoid messing with CDs. I still want this option to sound good and I think it can be obtained without too much trouble. I just haven't done much exploring in this area.

My my main media being used would be 16/44 ripped CDs, mp3s (for background), some high res files and it would also allow me to the opportunity to purchase more lossless FLAC/WAV files from indie bands. I think the latter is important because it supports new music (without having to always buy the vinyl).

Would this or the Dragonfly 1.2 be go0d choices? I found a DF 1.2 for $120 but may be able to find one used for a little less. Also, it appear the Modi2 Uber is about $149. I'm also not sure of all the other hardware or software needed.

In addition, this is for speaker listening, not headphone listening.

15. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I have the Modi and you get a lot more flexibility with it. If it's just for listening from a computer the Dragonfly is more convenient due to its size. I run optical, USB and RCA cables from the Modi as I have the CD player running through it as well as the laptop. I have a cheaper USB DAC than the dragonfly and it sounds good with the laptop.

16. moops

moops Senior Member

bluemooze and Jasonb like this.
  17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Count me in as a big fan of this Schiit! I have the Modi 2/Magni 2 Ubers and couldn't be happier. I use this setup via the USB of my laptop and primarily play 24/96 and 24/192 Flac files from an external drive. Sounds fab via headphones.

For those of you using the Schiit DAC's with a cd player - you are simply placing the DAC between the cd player and amp/receiver? Dumb question I know :) My cd player has a digital coax out...I may try that someday. Cd Player coax out -->Modi 2 coax in--->Modi 2 rca's out to old school 50 wpc receiver.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm a fan of both devices but in your setup I'd get the Modi. I prefer not having a volume control in a desktop DAC, and having owned both the Modi is just a little bit better IMO, and I'd give it the "more vinyl-like" edge over the Dragonfly.

mikemoon likes this.
  19. Huge fan of Schiit. Just days away from getting a Multi Bit BiFrost. As a previous poster noted BiFrost was a game changer for me in digital music.

Rolltide likes this.
  20. For any set up the DAC should come between the input source and the output. Preferably your output is a regular amp. If it's a receiver it needs to be set to a "Pure" or "Straight" mode so that the receiver's internal DAC doesn't co-opt your external DAC. You want to make sure your external DAC is the last stage in the processing.

johnny q likes this.
  21. DigMyGroove

Yes, the Schiit or any other DAC you output your CD to via digital coaxial or optical interconnect does the digital to analog conversion and your CD player becomes a transport only device. But that doesn't mean that any CD player hooked up to the DAC will sound the same, not at all. Higher quality built players will sound better, much better. When I added the Schiit Bitfrost Uber to my system I tried four different players with it. The best sound came from a Rega Apollo with a 1989 Belgian built Phillips CD-50 close behind. Next in the ranks was the Onkyo C-7030 a CD only player, and coming in last was the Denon 1940ci, a DVD/ CD/ SACD player, the literally lightest weight device of the four. I recently replaced that Denon with a Pioneer DV 79 AVI, a solid heavyweight player of the same formats. It sound fantastic on it's own for SACD and DVD Audio, I need to hook it up to the Schiit for CD play and compare it to the Rega, I expect it will sound very similar in quality.

johnny q likes this.
  22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have just received a Bifrost Multibit for the office. It is a great piece for the money.

Hutch likes this.
  23. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

I have the Bifrost with the Uber upgrade. I am curious re: Multibit upgrade--I just got the Asgard 2 headphone amp paired with the Bifrost Uber is wonderful so far. Please let me know everyone's impressions, especially compared to the Bifrost Uber.

24. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

I have (had?) the Bifrost Uber paired with the Valhalla 2 (and HD 650s, FWIW). Just sent the Bifrost off today to get the Multibit upgrade. Excited to hear the difference!

Maybe some of the members who did the same earlier in the thread can comment on their experiences...

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Receivers have the same RCA analog input as amps do. I see no need to confuse people about a receiver being anything more than an amp with a radio in it. DACs in general send an analog signal output. It's all too simple right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.