Seasick Steve - any Fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulT, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Cool!

I had never heard of him, but his latest album was available on the audio entertainment section on my last long flight so I listened to it. Absolutely loved it! I've bought that album (You Can't Teach a Dog New Tricks) and I'm sure I'll collect everything he's done. Love the raw "authentic" sound.

You Better You Bet likes this.
  2. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

This guy has no presence at all in the US, his home country. I think he is more of a novelty than anything . There is at least one guy just like him here at every party I go to (only very slightly exagerating here). :rolleyes:

3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Anyone pick up Walkin' Man: The Best of Seasick Steve yet? I got the deluxe with the DVD.

However, on disc 1 there seems to be a silent pause on track 14 at 3:44. The same track is on Dog House Music with no silent pause on it. Anyone have the new disc and can check theirs?

4. Complier

Complier Senior Member

5. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I'm pretty much in agreement with #13 and 14. He seems huge here (UK), and is pretty competent, but yeah, since I found Junior Kimbrough and R.L Burnside, and read that SS had been a successful producer (ie the dress sense thing is just a marketing ploy, which happens all the time I'm aware, but I feel that this one insults my intelligence a bit) I came to the conclusion that he knows his genre inside out, but that's it.

His two stringed, or three stringed, whatever it is, guitar thing is all well and good, but I even see that as a way to just get the hipsters involved: "he plays this guitar, with like 2 strings, and it's sooooooo cool" seems to be what I hear if the subject's up for discussion at a party. So I think he's a boring fake, in short. I realise this opens up a whole other area of discussion about what is genuine, does that matter and so on, but that's certainly how I feel about SS.

6. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

I don't see him as The Messiah, then again I don't think he's a Naughty Boy either.

He's pretty entertaining and good at the job, which is part of show business. Just as ZZTop can wear beards and look like hobos (that drive some serious metal), I don't feel strongly about SS. He wasn't teleported in from the 30's dust bowl that's for sure. He's following the folk tradition and is lucky that the marketing has worked, at least for some punters out there! We should celebrate anyone making it big in the 'wood & steel' sector of the music biz these days.

7. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

On his latest album, Hubcap Music, he's assisted by Jack White and John Paul Jones according to wikipedia...

8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

A friend of mine was in Nashville for business. He picked me up a copy of Hubcap Music at Third Man Records.
    It's pretty cool.

9. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

There you go. Jeez guys lighten up, eh? No one has claimed Seasick Steve to be the new Messiah. I've got his Walkin' Man-Best Of and thoroughly enjoy it. Is his act contrived? Is his appearance calculated? KISS, anyone? Let's not forget the Beatles were "dressed" by Brian Epstein and I'll but forth Steve is no more contrived than the highly regarded around here Monkees.

Enjoy the music. Or don't. By the way, he got his first appearance on Letterman last December.

10. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I think he's the real deal. What's not to like?

11. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Agreed. Who cares about the "packaging" and whether it's real or an act. He write entertaining songs and can play the hell out of whatever the F it is he's playing (cigar box, hubcap, guitar, etc)...

Although I will take offense at that last sentence. As a fan of the Monkees, I can tell you they are FAR more contrived than this guy could ever be. :tiphat:

You Better You Bet and chaz like this.
  12. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Check the rest of his catalog. Hubcap Music is my least favorite of his so far. It's still good, but the others are that much better.

LavidDange likes this.
  13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Will do! Thanks.

14. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

:laugh: Hey man, just want to let you know I have no agenda regarding the Monkees. I guess it was just a kind of knee-jerk to the accusations voiced regarding the guy's authenticity. No worries. ;)

By the way, to anyone interested, the studio version of Cut My Wings - the song he did on Letterman - is on Walkin' Man - The Best Of Seasick Steve.

15. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Seasick is not a phenomenal guitar player. He even admits this humbly in interviews. What makes him stick out, to me, is he brings back a rougher blues sound similar to Kimbrough and RL, and his energy is honest. You can tell he loves playing music. So while he may not be the most technically proficient guitar handler, he loves to rock out. I think that intensity is missing on the blues scene today.

Favs: Live at Third Man Records & You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks.

16. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

If they could have marketed Kimbrough or Burnside like they do SS, that would have been truly great!

LavidDange likes this.
  17. I am really enjoying his latest album "Sonic Soul Surfer". I did get the 2-LP vinyl, and I think it is all AAA. Very simple production but nicely recorded with great dynamics.

I also have "Hubcap Music" and the live album recorded at Third Man Records on vinyl.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    LavidDange likes this.
  18. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I have Sonic Soul Surfer on cd and it sounds great.

19. Got "Dog House Blues" on vinyl today. Recorded in mono, doesn't get any more basic. I am enjoying it. Nothing really new here, but down to earth blues music.

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Upon seeing the thread title my immediate impression was "a CD of gagging and retching to a background of waves and foghorns?".

21. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

Love the song "Treasures"

22. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

He's in my collection.

23. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

24. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I live in the US and have known about him for years. Cool stuff but I don't find myself going back to it often.

25. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Imagine70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.