Record Store Day is dead

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I always thought Cyber Monday was invented to boost Internet sales at the beginning of the holiday season and then slowly spread out to include Black Friday.

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Black Friday in record shops, or Black Friday in general? The term has been used to describe the day after Thanksgiving sales longer than the Internet has existed.

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I thought cyber Monday just happened to be the busiest online shopping day. I didn't think it was a separate event. To be honest, all these days tend to merge into one. It's ridiculous.

4. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I dont understand why they would WANT it to collapse. Everyone here loves music. If someone doesn't like Record Store Day, they can just not attend! No need for them to rain on the enjoyment of others. I have a great record store where I live and I always try to buy some pre-loved vinyl in addition to whatever else I'm getting. Record Store Day is not just for exclusive releases, but to support the independent stores. Who would want that to collapse?? (I should note this post is directed "generally", not at you Dr. Psych)

5. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Wow! That's amazing. I remember standing in the freezing cold with easily 50 people ahead of me just a year ago.

Edit : did you mean Vintage Vinyl in NJ?

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I just noticed a hype sticker on the SRV at El Mocambo that stated the same. " Specaialy vinyl has nuances in the materials used that may effect playability and sound. You may experience noise and skips while playing."
    WTF? So defects are now called nuances? Unfortunately they put this sticker on the back of the cover and I missed it at the store or I would have left it on the shelf. I've only played one side so far but any skips and it's going back I don't care what the sticjer says. They should have put a big hype sticker on the front. warning: this album for display and resale purposes only. Now I can say conclusively that RSD is dead. Only the record industry can produce a shoddy product and tell their customers they need to accept that. And here I was thinking that high prices was the only big issue on RSD. This SRV set was $36 and the double lp wasn't even a gatefold!

7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That's consumerism for you!

Lost In The Flood and Dave S like this.
  8. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I will add this - the quality of everything that I bought, especially the Garbage 2 disc 45 rpm original album, is amazing. Perfect surfaces. My Zombies looks like a picture, with alternating shiny black and matte black rings, no marks whatsoever. Ditto my Howlin' Wolf. Nice job by the plants on this crop of rsd releases.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I agree, he is right. I'm not disputing that; it was just the way it came across. No biggie.

10. rabblerouser

rabblerouser Forum Resident

No, St Louis...And the lines there were 100 deep 2 years ago.

11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, this is the thing that puzzles me about this forum. Lots of sky is falling rhetoric on a wash / rinse / repeat basis from people who supposedly love music, all old enough to know better.

12. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

A new record store opened up a few months back with high quality vinyl new and used. Yesterday they got a ton of new business thanks to RSDBF. It was a pleasure to see.

Rocketdog and e.s. like this.
  13. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

People are coming around to the hobby-killing scam known as "Record Store Day" (Black Friday version or otherwise).

14. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

You. You opened the thread, read it, and added a comment.

Ed

15. rabblerouser

rabblerouser Forum Resident

I see what you did there.

Nostaljack likes this.
  16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

The april RSD is the correct one for me atleast as for this year there were few interesting releases scheluded for april but hardly anything worthwhile for black friday.
    I have felt that few times already this whole black friday seems somehow forced and I didn't even bother going to any store yesterday.
    I didn't buy anything yesterday...I buy records when feel like doing so and when can find something worthwhile additions to my collection.
    Im still amazed how some people just go so crazy over the whole hype for black friday generally, just watch some clips from youtube to see the madness.

17. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Sarcasm isn't your strength, is it?

18. Nostaljack

I've never messed with RSD. No compelling reason most of the time. I patronize the stores throughout the year.

Ed

Edited because I'm a dolt and I didn't get the joke. LOL!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Stone Turntable likes this.
  19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Oh, he most certainly does care: He makes a point of posting derogatory remarks in most vinyl threads. He didn't contribute his usual anti-vinyl rubbish this time, though, so I guess we can at least be thankful for that.

Dr. Mudd and Scott222C like this.
  20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

"No one goes to record stores anymore, they're too crowded."
    HA!
    He was quoting Yogi Berra ... it's funny, nobody goes there because it's crowded, get it?

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It is a strange phenomenon, isn't it? If I don't like it, nobody else is allowed either, or nobody in their right mind would disagree. It isn't just on this forum, either, unfortunately.

Lost In The Flood and e.s. like this.
  22. Nostaljack

Ah! No I didn't. LOL! I'm a complete idiot. Gonna go slink off to a couch now and drown in my own self-loathing.

Could I be any more dense? LOLOLOLOL!!!

Ed

Stone Turntable likes this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not everyone here loves music, as a whole. They love their very selective genre and/or formats of music.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  24. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

No, he did not :p

That being said. I have been buying records since I was 5 years old. About 1980. I have never been to a RSD because every year I still see the titles that I'm interested in on the shelves at Amoeba. Why would I brave the crowds, when I can wait and get my Komeda lp at my leisure?

25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That much is all to clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.