Does anything good remain unreleased in The Monkees' vaults?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You didn't miss anything and you're correct... The 45 you mentioned is the one I was thinking of, but *I* had the CDs wrong...

2. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Then there was that business of Denny Randell asking Rhino to clarify that he produced the original tracking session, but not the final production of "Sally"...

3. Grand_Ennui

Interesting... I didn't know about that...

4. MarkTheShark

It was mentioned as a disclaimer at Monkees.com at one point.

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The vaults will never run out of something. The Monkees recorded more than Hendrix.

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"Christmas Is..." is on a Rhino CD, "The Best of Cool Yule."

7. MarkTheShark

That's the 1986 remix with added instruments (like the "Daydream Believer" Arista remix). As far as I know, the original mixes of "Christmas Is My Time Of Year" and "White Christmas" only came out just that one time, on a 1976 limited-edition 45 (though both were bootlegged later). I'd like to get decent transfers of both sides.

Hep Alien and readr like this.
  8. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

There are loads of as-yet-unheard song titles in Andrew's 'day-by-day' book, but either 1) insignificant backing tracks or 2) songs that no longer exist.

But who knows...... it'd be nice if they dug up the "Changes" outtakes.

9. readr

readr Forum Resident

I'm sure there are interesting bits left over from the Pool It! and Justus sessions, much better than that stupid photo session malarkey. Real sessions stuff. I would be interested in a Pool It!...Naked.

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Ew... Now I'm getting uncomfortable thoughts of the three of them in their 40's naked in a pool.

MarkTheShark and readr like this.
  11. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Christmas Is My Time of the Year and White Christmas chronologically goes well with The Dolenz Jones, Boyce and Hart Album. So I would put it there. A lot of great suggestions out there. Hopefully the reissue series will continue in 2016.

Hep Alien, Galley and D-rock like this.
  12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Would love to see expanded releases of complete and compilations of incomplete or fragmented concert recordings from each decade and configuration of the group.

In fact, one of my other concerns is with regards to bringing the Complete Summer 1967 U.S. Concert Recordings back into print. Great music should be available to everyone.

It's my belief that younger generations of fans should not have to pay scalper/collector prices for OOP titles or be punished for being born later than many of us on this forum. Our main goal should be to preserve this classic music and keep it alive by passing it down to future generations of listeners.

13. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don't know if Rhino could ever pull it off (since it wasn't Colgems), but "Dolenz, Jones, Boyce and Hart" needs a boxed set/deluxe edition of some sort. That album needs a proper CD release.

Hell, do like they did with 'David Jones' - if they need another disc for the set, get the rights to 'The Point' and have that as a bonus disc.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Or at least a reissue with something other than the "Look! My six year old drew a cho cho train!" artwork on the cover.

HolsteMan, Hep Alien and Galley like this.
  15. readr

readr Forum Resident

Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart

.....would be a perfect release for 7A Records. I would suggest 3 bonus tracks:
    Christmas Is My Time Of Year (Original Stereo Mix)
    White Christmas (Original Stereo Mix)
    Sail On Sailor (Extended Stereo Mix)

I think Ian and his team at 7A are the best label for this release, and I like that they go after the unreleased or rare material....not like Friday, who are only interested in re-releasing prior packages. Is there is any mono mixes for the singles from this era?

I would also like 7A to dig into the MGM Davy recordings. I think if there was only the 4 tunes: Who Was It?, Rubberene, and You're A Lady (English and Japanese), why not tag those onto the Micky Dolenz CD release? If there are Davy recordings in the MGM vault, try to dig those up for a Davy Jones MGM record. That would be so cool...much welcomed.

And for you who are Turtles fans, 7A is trying to get their ducks in a row for a catalogue reissue, as deluxe or expanded versions.....very interesting, and about damn time. The Turtles have gone too long without any decent consideration.

16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Good idea about the DJB&H Lp. Problem is that was issued on Capitol. so its not a Rhino/Warners owned product. I'm actually surprised that Rhino didn't buy the rights to that album over the years.

I would really like to see the first two albums REMIXED from the multis, with emphasis made on sonics. The First album, "The Monkees" needs a remix badly, the guitars are screetchy and puny sounding. MOTM is my favorite Monkees album, and it needs a remix also, but this time with "I'm A Believer" remixed from the multis like the alternate version mix that has the instruments spread out...that mix is killer!!

wayne66 and readr like this.
  17. readr

readr Forum Resident

The multi's for some of the MOTM tracks are missing, including I'm A Believer, and also Laugh and When Love Comes Knockin'. Also, the multi's for several tracks from the debut are MIA. Last Train To Clarksville being the most notable, but also Let's Dance On, Saturday's Child, Theme From, Take A Giant Step and Gonna Buy Me A Dog.

So, we'd get a hodge-podge of remixes. Andrew remixed all the available multi's from the debut for the latest box set. He hears us just fine. He did what he could with what he had. I believe we'll get more of the same on the MOTM box.

As far as Capitol, and the DJB&H tapes, I'd wonder if they would license them out to 7A, who would do a wonderful job compiling that release...they are into getting anything available to throw into their releases (unreleased, alt. mixes, single mixes, etc.) as bonus tracks.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  18. I'm down for remixes that give bottom end. Also (tasteful, non-bright, DR intact) remasters of the Missing Links series. There is still no remaster of the ML mix of Carlisle Wheeling.

D-rock likes this.
  19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

As far as "I'm A Believer" goes, they must have the multis for the backing tracks, as evidenced by the fantastic remix of the alternate vocal with wide separation between the instruments. Using todays tools, the "hit" vocal from the stereo mix of the single can be extracted and synced up to a new stereo mix of the backing tracks. The Cd would be worth buying just for that.

D-rock likes this.
  20. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

I would like to see a Missing Links album that only has songs that were not released on any official studio album. Take out all the alternate versions of existing songs. It would be great if they sweetened them to sound like the released product of the day too. An example would be Apples, pb&p: give it similar echo and phasing like the first album.

21. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

I've asked this before but never really got a straight answer.......... I'm really interested in seeing if there is an abundance of outtakes (or interviews even) from the TV series. Would anyone know if a) they do exist and b) if they will ever be released?

22. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Nope.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I doubt anything like that exists. Outtakes from the 60's were rarely saved. If they existed they would have probably been included on the Blu-Ray set.

24. Grand_Ennui

I thought there were supposed to be some out-takes of mainly "romp" type footage?

25. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply.
    That really is a shame......... i was hoping some were kept

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.