Which albums can be spotted as first pressings without further checking?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hail Vinyl!, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Hideous, but excellent sounding 1st press US/UK Billy Idol can be easily identified :D both include Congo Man, later dropped for the re-record Dancing With Myself
    [​IMG]

2. JeremyD

JeremyD Member

Any authentic original copy had/has the artwork with the Beatles next to a trunk pasted over the top therefore to see the "butcher" cover one had to peel the top artwork off which left the cover a total mess. So you know it is most likely a real first if the cover looks like s. Not sure how many were pressed like this - I've seen two copies here in Seattle, each were several hundred $ a piece.

3. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

:)

4. Further

Further Forum Resident

The Crosby, Stills & Nash CSN album from 1977. First pressing cover art has a picture of them looking serious on the boat. Future pressings have a picture of them laughing on the boat.

s320no likes this.
  5. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

The first 2 Ramones albums..
    S/T - label states "Beat Is On The Brat + Marketed By ABC Records
    Leave Home - Marketed By ABC Records + includes "Carbona Not Glue"

6. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Before the "Jr" was added.

[​IMG]

7. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I had no idea the butcher cover was so... jubilant.

hi_watt, e.s. and Lost In The Flood like this.
  8. JeremyD

JeremyD Member

So they were called Dinosaur originally?

9. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

The first U.S. pressing of the "White Album" (do I HAVE to say by The Beatles?! LOL) has "Revolution No. 1" and "Revolution No. 9" on side 4, and "Bungalow Bill" (no "The Continuing Story Of...") on side 1.

10. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Yep. They were sued by a band called The Dinosaurs shortly after "You're Living All Over Me" was released, so subsequent copies of the album had the "Jr" printed on the cover and labels.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Well it's the last track on Side One on the first press. I bought my copy second hand and it didn't have the 7" so I can't check.

12. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Really, halfwit (fellow Dutchman btw?). Never knew that. My copy does have 'Watford Gap'. What track replaced it?

13. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia, it was replaced by Breakfast With You, although later versions on CD reinstated the original track. I'm Scottish by the way, not Dutch - Are halfwits common in the Netherlands?

14. c-eling

Initial first US pressings had the 'serious' cover, not sure if they were sent the wrong art or what happened, but no other country used this, if anyone has more info let me know
    [​IMG]

15. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

B-52's "Whammy!" first pressings have the track "Don't Worry". On later pressings this was replaced with "Moon '83" after Yoko Ono made them remove it. The track was supposed to be exclusive to her forthcoming "Every Man Has A Woman" album. In the end it didn't appear on that album, either.

Kristofa likes this.
  16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Haha, sorry about that then... halfwit, in Dutch, is half a white bread!
    Incidentally, I believe my cd (have to check) has Breakfast With You AND Watforf Gap...

Lost In The Flood and Halfwit like this.
  17. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Baby Woodrose 1st pressings are all on black vinyl. Later repressings come on colored vinyl. If it is on black vinyl, it's a 1st pressing.

18. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

Beatles - Please Please Me the very first pressings for both the UK Stereo and Mono Lp's was on the distinctive Parlophone black and gold labels.

19. c-eling

1st Press Ole' ELO has the full version of Kuiama-11:10, listed of the back and face
    [​IMG]

20. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Rush's s/t debut was originally a limited pressing on Moon records. It was subsequently picked up and released by Mercury.

21. npc145

npc145 music junkie

Alice Cooper - Love It To Death
    (original "thumb" cover)
    [​IMG]

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Here's a bit more info (and this goes for the US pressing as well):
    I don't know if they were subsequent pressings, but the cover with the embossed graphics was released with several variations of graphics, that became more minimal as the pressings continued. Whatever the case may be, if you've got a Zoom pressing of any Simple Minds record, keep it. It's a first.

c-eling likes this.
  23. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

not enough, they need to have Dick James credits for all maclen songs, there are black and golds for both stereo & mono's that have the northern songs revision.

hi_watt likes this.
  24. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

True first pressings of Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True have a laminated cover (as well as the yellow back cover).
    First pressings of The Velvet Underground & Nico have the complete Eric Emerson photo on the rear.

I may be wrong about these but I believe the Claudia Cardinale photo is only on first pressings of Blonde On Blonde. And Freak Out! first pressings are the only ones with the "Hot Spots" map.

Giorgio likes this.
  25. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

Just to finish this one, the first issues will have the photographer credits Angus McBean on the front cover extreme bottom right. Later issues have this credit moved a bit to the left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.