Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Well, there's the Complete Master Takes box set coming from Legacy next year, and I believe Chuck Granata mentioned that they have an ongoing plan to further revitalize Mr. S' Columbia era output.

rangerjohn likes this.
  2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The Beatles arguably reached a wider and younger audience with a lot of help from the Rock Band video game, timed to coincide with their remastered CDs as part of a joint marketing push back in '09. By contrast, the Sinatra 100 campaign seems to lack the kind of products that are central to generating and sustaining major mainstream impact. It's doubtful that FSE would have had the same success with younger audiences had they tried.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  3. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Luckily for FSE and Legacy, it seems as though the largest stockpile of unreleased recordings exists within the pre Capitol time frame! Is that safe to say?

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That may well be true...in thought and planning. However, I know of no actual confirmation (other than the update of the Big Blue Box) of material to be released. Let's not look at this new release lightly, folks. If it doesn't sell...and sell well in the eyes of The Power$ That Be...the less-than enthusiastic receptions Chuck mentioned he received will become closed doors and unanswered emails and phone calls.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Hey, I did my part-- I bought the CD box and I'm actually considering the 24/192 download version, as well!

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Sorry if I got preachy. Apologies.

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Not at all! I agree we should vote with our wallets. In my case, if I buy the hi-res files, I'll be voting twice!

Smartin62 likes this.
  8. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Spinning it just now, finished disc 1 going into disc 2 and I gotta tell ya that the NR commercial makes the entire set worth it.

Why, I can't tell you just how refreshed I feel and ... I think ... I'm no longer ... "full of it"!

Many Thanks to Chuck, Didier, MMM and all the wonderful folks for putting together such a swell set!

(And, nevermind the silliness, I really do mean Thank You to all and nicely done! Keep 'em coming!)

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That one's a hoot. There's also a picture in the book to go with it. Re commercials, I particularly love the last one, which ends the entire set.

...and you're welcome!

Bob Belvedere and Smartin62 like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm glad the commercials and show openings were included instead of it just being a straight selection of songs. It really gives the set some character.

Bob Belvedere, Turmatic, Tord and 4 others like this.
  11. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Just want to add my kudos to Chuck, Martin and all involved for an outstanding achievement. A great listen and a great set of wonderful music from a twenty year span that flows together perfectly. I doubt we will ever hear Frank Sinatra's music put together with more attention to detail, love and expertise. I can't thank all involved enough. Well done folks!

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This is the best box set I've bought in quite a few years.

13. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I was pleased to see it is #1 in the Vocal Jazz sales category on Amazon. I've asked for it for Christmas, so hoping Santa will come through. :angel:

Bob Belvedere and MMM like this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Santa and Frank are tight- Santa gets Frank good booze every year, and Frank sings nice songs about Santa. I'm sure you'll get it. :)

15. colormesinatra

Same with me. I've put in on my Christmas list along with the deluxe box set with the retirement concert, the Complete Duke Ellington Columbia album box Volume 2 1959-1961, the new Johnny Mathis Singles collection and the Nat King Cole TV performances set.

bozburn likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What's the deluxe box set with the retirement concert? I think I missed the news about that one. Can you post a link to it on Amazon? :)

17. colormesinatra

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Still waiting for my set. Should have it by the end of the week. Let's see now...I just purchased 2 Sinatra Box Set's,
    2 Sinatra DVD's (including "The Hollywood Palace " ) 2 Nat King Cole, including the 10 cd/dvd set.
    A lot to listen to...waiting for the Smith... lost and found...to boot.

20. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Make sure Santa loads two copies of each on the sleigh and sends the others to my house. :)

colormesinatra likes this.
  21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Bob Belvedere and MMM like this.
  22. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Best jingle ever.

MMM likes this.
  23. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

This set is $42 today at Amazon. Just ordered it.

Bob F and MMM like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It no longer pays to pre-order from Amazon, at least in this case:

[​IMG]

rangerjohn and Bob Belvedere like this.
  25. scoredaddy

scoredaddy Forum Resident

yep, Amazon USA lost my purchase dicking around with the price. I ordered from Amazon UK
    well, I suppose my money ends up in the same place!