System recommendations - starting from scratch in NYC apartment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ellsworth, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident Thread Starter

All. A good friend of mine loves music and wants to have some quality sound in her apartment. As you can guess space is limited. I would appreciate any recommendations that the good folks on the forum might offer. Here are some guidelines:

Budget = $3K
    Prefers to buy new
    Starting from scratch so budget will need to include stands and wires
    Not 100% sure of media. Has some CDs ripped to a hard drive but no CD player.
    Ability to stream from Spotify, Tidal, etc, is highly desired
    Don't want to mess with low powered tube amps
    Favorite music is Pearl Jam and Springsteen

My original thoughts were to keep it simple and inexpensive and suggested an NAD 3020 integrated with Elac B6 speakers. A step up would be a Peachtree Adecco integrated.

However, on this type of budget, she could get a pretty nice set of speakers and a decent integrated amp. One challenge is that the speakers can only go about a foot off the back wall. We looked at KEF LS50s and the Harbeth P3ESRs online today as potential candidates.

Any suggestions on a path forward? Thanks.

2. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

Marantz PM7005 $999
    Kef LS50 on sale now for $1199 (kefdirect.com)
    Oppo 103 $499 (will stream tidal and I think you can connect an external HD)
    The rest of the budget can be used for cables (Blue Jeans or Signal) and stands

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    brew ziggins likes this.
  3. everton

everton Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd get the Harbeths, the Peachtree (or something similar with a built-in DAC), and some sort of streamer with a digital out. I think you have to go up to something like a Sonos to get Tidal, but a cheaper chromecast audio can stream Spotify.

A friend of mine in NYC has this same setup, but subsitute Totem speakers for the Harbeths. Great small system.

5. Ellsworth

Thanks for the great suggestions. The big decision is going to be how much to put into the speakers versus the rest of the system.

6. PSB X2T floorstanders, NAD 326 and an Oppo player would get you pretty far. Cables from monoprice.

7. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Does she want to get into LP's, CD's, stay totally digital/streaming, or all/some combination?

8. Ellsworth

This is the biggest question. She is wishy washy on it and would need some guidance on setting up an all digital system. However, given that it is a small apartment and she has already sold off many of her CDs, I think all digital is the way to go. The problem is she has ripped stuff in different formats and has some Apple lossless so the music collection is messy.

9. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

10. Ellsworth

Thanks again from the recommendations. One product that a dealer has her interested in is the Naim Unitilite. Has anyone heard this? It seems pretty expensive and would blow the budget.

11. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

It's hard to make a single component suggestion without knowing what percent of the budget will be spent for each item. The $1,200 Marantz is $700 and they (A4L) also have a $1,000 Cambridge Audio for $700.

The Naim would definitely be a huge chunk. I'd rather have the $700 Marantz and put that money into the speakers, personally. Heck, even room treatments.

12. everton

everton Forum Resident

I think there are different ways to divide the budget up. In my opinion, if your friend likes the sound of the LS50, it is more than good enough. She could spend, say, $2,000 on a different pair of speakers, but I think it would just give her different, but not necessarily better, sound.

avanti1960 likes this.
  13. Ellsworth

I agree with this and am going to recommend to her that she should dump the most money into speakers.

14. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I live in NYC apartment.
    Is your friend in a new luxury high rise?
    If not:
    Have her put some money toward sound proofing.
    Otherwise- some high end headphones.

Neighbors do not tolerate a loud system regardless of good it sounds.

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

It looks pretty cool. How much is it?

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Absolutely agreed. She needs a quality source / amp and that is where the remaining 1800 should be spent.

17. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Not to stereotype but... I would agree with this if we were talking about a guy. Ladies don't tend to listen as loud as guys do. Maybe I'm wrong though. She would probably listen at reasonable levels if not lower than she wants out of respect for her neighbors.

18. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Check out this Yamaha Integrated. Looks fantastic, like the old Yamaha Integrateds from the 70's. Does DSD, FLAC, MP3 etc from USB, 100 watts, $700 What other Integrated for the same price will do DSD? I think with a $3k budget the electronics should stick in the realm of Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. Something like a Parasound Halo Integrated would be great if she could save a bit longer. Is she against used? Some great stuff could be picked up used.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...d-amplifier-w/built-in-dac-black/1.html#!more

19. Ellsworth

The Naim is over $2k so I don't think that is a good use of resources. Something in the Marantz, Yamaha world with good speakers as suggested would be better suited. By the way, as always I am so floored by the generosity of everyone taking their time to post. Whatever the result, I will post a report (hopefully with pictures).

Used would definitely stretch the budget but may be a pain to navigate for someone just jumping into this.

FJosh likes this.
  20. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

If by hopefully you mean definitely then I agree.

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Does she have a TV? Cable? Netflix?

I'd go with a high-end soundbar, probably one that supports AirPlay (since much of her library is digital already from the sound of things), complete with a wireless sub. Much easier to setup, takes far less space, performs many functions, can usually be controlled from your smartphone (giving you easy access to that digital library), and often sounds as good as or better than a comparably-priced system of separates.

Sony makes one that looks impressive, but I haven't heard it:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-st9

Yamaha invented the things:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NKQEWQ

There are audiophile models from Paradigm and such - they tend to cost more and sport fewer features:

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=soundbar-powered/model=soundscape/page=overview

And of course there's always Bose... I think their soundbars sound alright but overpriced, and lack many of the features Sony and Yamaha currently offer.

22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Warefdale Denton. Peachtree Audio Nova 65SE. Additional sources as required.

FJosh likes this.
  23. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Don't forget stands. Those would be perfect apartment speakers, nice suggestion.

Ntotrar likes this.
  24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

find the speakers she likes and run them with a BlueSound PowerNodeII. 60w of clean NAD power, optical or line in, headphone amp. Simple operation, hi-res and Bluetooth aptX. Done!

Doing same with a Sonos amp might seem similar, but the PowerNodeII bests it in every way!

Only knock with Peachtree gear (I liked my Decco65 a lot) is that they roll out new models and sell refurbs dirt cheap and thus absolutely kill any resale value on their gear if you buy new.

For that matter, use two of BlueSound's excellent Pulse speakers and be done! It really doesn't have to be complicated!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  25. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

My daughter will be hitting me up soon to assemble a system, and if her career goes well she will be in a NYC apartment before too long. She definitely wants vinyl, and will probably stream the rest of her music. My first thoughts for such a system that will also meet with her desire for an aesthetically pleasing look follows:

Peachtree Nova 65se (black/white) $799
    Rega RP3 (white) $900
    Tekton Lore Speakers (white) $900
    Lounge MK III $300
    Audio engine B1 $190 - (upscale Bluetooth streamer)

I own the suggested KEF LS50s and know they love power. However, I give the nod to the Tektons for their crazy efficiency which may work better for her intended lower level listening volumes. Floorstanders like the Tektons will give her the scale I know she will appreciate. The Peachtree should give her the SQ as well as ease of use that she will love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.