Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: A Jolly Christmas (1957)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Cherish the time with him!

DLant and dasacco like this.
  2. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Great tradition with your son! Loved your story. I fired up side one of my gray label this morning at 7. Side 2 tomorrow.

I will watch the Frank and Bing tv special from the 2014 DVD bonus disk that came with the new A Jolly Christmas cd with my Dad when he visits in a couple of weeks.

dasacco likes this.
  3. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I would like to own this one on both CD & LP!
    From what I can tell, I'm set on CD:
    • CDP 7 48329 2 Monaural Digital Mastering
    • 14 tracks (the 12 Gordon Jenkins LP tracks + the 2 Nelson Riddle single sides)
    • (P) 1987 Capitol Records, Inc.
    • Purple disc with (P) 1987 on it
    • Tri-folder booklet with Pete Welding's essay
    • "REMASTERED BY LARRY WALSH AT CAPITOL RECORDING STUDIOS" (in all caps - this is the only place his name appears)
    • Conclusion: I've got the Walsh CD.
    • Interesting footnote in the booklet: "+In addition to all the selections included in the original LP release, the Compact Disc version of this classic album contains further selections performed at the original recording sessions from which the LP was drawn, remixed to the digital format from the analog master recordings to insure superior sound reproduction." (The italics are mine.)
    • The songs flagged are the last two tracks - that were done with Nelson Riddle. This can't be correct can it? 1) They were recorded in a different session. 2) They are mono, so they can't be remixed. I assume they meant to say "remastered to the digital format".
    • BTW.....when I was a buyer, this title was shipped in box lots that contained both covers: the original "Jolly Holiday" cover and the red "presents" cover titles "The Sinatra Christmas Album".

As for vinyl, my only copy is the red "presents" jacket - in lovely Duophonic. So, considering that an MFSL would set me back quite a bit, your recommendation would be??? The 2014 release?

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I
    Correct. See —> post #239.

That's right. The notes are incorrect. The Riddle bonus tracks are from 1954; the album proper from 1957. (BTW, the ’57 recordings were also full-track mono only. There is no remixing possible on ANY of these tracks.)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I can never remember. Do I have the right one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

No, You have the Bob Norberg version as stated on the back inlay card. You need the one that is published 1987 Capitol Records, Inc.
    See reply #628 above.

DLant likes this.
  7. Richard--W

8. TeacFan

No, if you want the correct one, you will have to look for it used as it is out of print.

9. Richard--W

10. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

^^^^^
    Based on the UPC, catalog number & "1987", that looks like a Larry Walsh remastering to me.

Remember: As Bob F. said, it can also show up with the red "present" artwork, titled "The Sinatra Christmas Album. They're out there.

11. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Last evening I was at a friend's and they put on the vinyl reissue from last year of "Jolly Christimas". It sounded great to my ears, so I thought I would pick up a copy. It seems no one has a copy in stock, locally or online. My local (Bullmoose) has put in an order, but said there was no stock available so I'm not holding my breath. Anyone know why this is so hard to find? Was it a limited release or just so popular that it's now out of print?

12. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Did you try Music Direct?

13. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I just did. It didn't say it was in stock, just that it usually ships in 3-7 days. Also, the cheapest shipping was over $12. I'll pass. Thanks, though. Hopefully Bullmoose comes through.

14. TeacFan

A few are listed on eBay calling it a 2014 RSD exclusive.

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Bob's link nails it:
    IMO, the new LP is not bad, but either of these LPs are superior choices, sonically speaking:
    http://www.discogs.com/Frank-Sinatra-A-Jolly-Christmas-From-Frank-Sinatra/release/2517308
    http://www.discogs.com/Frank-Sinatra-The-Sinatra-Christmas-Album/release/3884765 [http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRANK-SIN...APITOL-CAPS-1809871-1983-UK-LP-/121821476619]

Neither is especially easy to find, but they do pop up.

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Running order from the Muntz 4-track tape release:
    Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 11.14.18 PM.png
    and the 8-track tape release:
    Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 11.17.42 PM.png

17. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Is "A Jolly Christmas" standard CD edition out of print in the US?

I always give a few for Christmas, and nobody seems to have any in stock, and haven't for a few weeks.

The Target edition is still on their website, but as an in-store purchase only.

Thanks.

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Amazon marketplace sellers seem to have it, but it is strange that it's out of stock direct from both Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Jolly Christmas just went "temporarily out of stock" at Amazon just this past week. I know because I had my eye on it and I didn't pull the trigger soon enough. I did however buy Frank's Columbia Christmas album.

BTW, the chorus I am in is doing a rendition of "Christmas Waltz". I look to Frank for inspiration! :D :winkgrin:

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Dmitri, IMHO the 1968 Reprise version of "The Christmas Waltz" is the most perfect and beautiful Christmas recording EVER! :love:

21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Paul, Thanks! I will definitely seek it out -- the Larry Walsh mix, natch! :thumbsup:

-- David

22. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I'll be danged...this has been unavailable, new, from every retailer I've tried...tried a brick and mortar in Nashville, they said it is not available from their distributors.

The greatest Christmas album of them all deleted at Christmastime 2015?

What the hell, Capitol/ Universal?

DLant and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

They are a fairly inept organization these days. IMO.

24. Richard--W

frankfan1, you can have the one I posted a picture of above, it you want it. It's almost new. Just use the conversation function to send me the address and I'll drop it in the mail.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Now THERE you go! In the spirit of the Centennial and the holiday season, I bow to you, sir and applaud your kindness. I did the very same thing 2 Christmas seasons ago with an extra LP copy of mine that I know I would never need. BRAVO!