Beach Boys vinyl reissues thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvakman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's the only one I've bought. I guess I picked the right one. I Love it.

2. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

The Stereo Mixes in Surfer Girl center Brian's vocal and put the harmonies on the edges which just makes you melt into your favorite chair. For whatever reason on cuts like Don't Worry Baby they opted to stick him over to stage left mostly. They had it so right on Surfer Girl.

chacha and EdogawaRampo like this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I like the stereo mix of In My Room.

4. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Yeah, the pure honesty of the lyrics and vocal really hits home. I've had many a hard day when I self reflected and written songs "In My Room". Just none as good as Brian :) I should also mention that warm, throbbing clean guitar with the tremolo sets the mood from the get go. Amazing song, I always wish it lasted longer after it's over.

Alex Zabotkin and Tommyboy like this.
  5. chacha

Beautiful. Listened to it last night

Tommyboy and Wade Burrow like this.
  6. chacha

I love Surfer Moon too.

Tommyboy and Wade Burrow like this.
  7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I'd like to hear a little more on Today before pulling the trigger. The overall consensus seems pretty positive on Pet Sounds

FJFP likes this.
  8. Merzbow MFSL

Merzbow MFSL New Member

Stereo Surfer Girl is unparalleled. Probably the best sounding record I own, although I have likely listened to it too much at this point. All Summer Long through Pet Sounds just arrived today.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

In My Room and Your Summer Dream are my favourites. :edthumbs:

Same here. :cool:

Wade Burrow likes this.
  10. MartinWarrilow

MartinWarrilow Forum Resident

I've just been previewing some of the mono/stereo reissues on Spotify to give me a better idea of the soundstage before deciding on which versions to buy. Going back and listening to Party! (I haven't heard that record for some time) I realised it might be a real shame not to pick up the mono AP Release. It's a pretty decent sounding record, with some great unplugged style covers.

I have all the other monos from this second batch on the way, they just haven't made it in to the UK yet to my supplier.

I think anyone who's debating pulling the trigger on any of these releases needs to just pull the trigger.

Al Smith and Wade Burrow like this.
  11. Merzbow MFSL

Merzbow MFSL New Member

The new mono Pet Sounds is probably the best version of the mono mix that I have heard (never heard DCC though). The percussion is amazing (especially on the last two tracks). Smiley Smile will probably sound 3D - it already does digitally - excited for that one.

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Me too...I've got both Brother reissues (the Carl & The Passions two-fer, and the brown cover), though I've never heard the DCC. The Brother versions sound pretty good to me, so I'd like to hear from somebody who can compare the new AP reissue to those.

chacha and scotth like this.
  13. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

I was planning on only getting the Pet Sounds stereo pressing since I don't have that on vinyl, but I just couldn't help myself and ordered the mono too. I have an original mono, brothers pressing(two-fer and single Lo release with brown cover), early 80s Capital pressing with the green label, and the capital vault reissue. The early 80s is my fav currently, so depending on how this AP pressing sounds, it may be time to finally get rid of some duplicates.

dvakman, Stone Turntable and scotth like this.
  14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Nice Pet Sounds collection! Would love to hear your thoughts after you spin the new mono edition.

15. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

Ill be sure to post after I get it. Should be arriving later this week hopefully.

snorker and Wade Burrow like this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Maybe I'm just drunk (full disclosure: I am), but I'm listening to the new Pet Sounds right now, and it sounds pretty much perfect. Really lovely, this one.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

good to know, I don't have any Pet Sounds on vinyl (I wish had the 1st US Mono or DCC Hoffman but...) so I expect a lot from the AP release.

18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

My other copy is a green label Capitol pressing. Liking this much more.

No.

Just flipped sides, and "God Only Knows" is on now.

Loving this much more.

Fcuking brilliant.

19. chacha

Cool! I have the DCC as well as the brown Brother issue from the 70's (which I have a slight preference for). Look forward to hearing more from you guys on this.

20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

And bye bye goes the bank account..

21. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

I currently have a mint WLP of the Carl & The Passions/Pet Sounds double LP, and the "Brown" cover reissue. Music Direct is offering a 10% discount, shipping today. I ordered Pet Sounds and Today!. I will be listening to Pet Sounds as soon as it arrives and will post impressions vis-a-vis other pressings.

chacha likes this.
  22. chacha

I assume the Passions version and the Brown are the same?

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'll try to take a moment and A/B my new AP and the olde brown & green label Pet Sounds. The Carl & The Passions 2-fer was my previous favorite. With "Pet Sounds" you have a few viable options as far as getting a nice sounding record. In the case of the other albums in this series there is nothing to compare them to. The 'Today' and 'Summer Day's "from the vaults" were underwhelming, the original Capitol albums were a bit murky, the 80's green labels were abridged and/or duophonic, so AP will win those contests pretty easily. I listened to side to of the AP "Summer Days" and thought it sounded absolute fantastic. And I can't wait for the stereo albums as they are going to sound like the voice of God coming through my stereo speakers.

Wade Burrow, dvakman and GetHappy!! like this.
  24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

So what did happen to the beach boys vinyl reissues thread?

Benjy and hishou like this.
  25. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel Thread Starter

Great Zodiac, I look forward to your analysis. Monos of All Summer Long, Today and Summer Days are already on their way to me. The Brother Pet Sounds has been my go to for a long time, but if the new AP mono is generally thought to supercede it, I will shell out for that one too.