Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

I bought the vinyl and it's great - so great that I immediately had to go out and buy the 6 CD version! It was clear I needed more. The vinyl does sound a bit better to me but the cd sound is very good. Given what I now know I would have just gone with the 6CD set, but I will play the vinyl as it is a very enjoyable listen.

2. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Another vote for the 6CD Set here. Unlike some of the Dylan vinyl issues, which clearly have a separate mastering chain source compared to the CD issue, the vinyl and CD issue of the Cutting Edge sound extremely close to me....and I am guessing the vinyl is cut from the same digital files (or at least high res versions).

So between any possible extra warmth your vinyl system will add vs having the extra songs on the 6CD set, I think it is a hands down win for the 6CD issue. As others have mentioned the 6CD issue is a well though out compilation.

George P and Bill like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Another vote for the 6-CD by a mile. I think they did a great job choosing tracks - you'll get nearly every complete take and a healthy selection of partial takes. And the LP set is the same as the 2-CD set, correct? I'm not as impressed with the track selection on that one; very glad I opted for the 6-CD set.

Bill likes this.
  4. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Vinly, for sure. Reportedly better sound and too limited to miss out on that.

Bill likes this.
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm a good consumer. I plan on buying the 6 cd set after I secure the 18 cd set. I must have both.

Thelonious_Cube, Mitchum and Bill like this.
  6. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Oh and before I forget, I added that with the 18CD set in my hands... ;)

Bill likes this.
  7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I have the LP's (as well as the collector's 18 cd version), and if I had to choose I'd go with the 6 cd set. Its about the music, isn't it?

8. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Check your PMs

9. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Just an F.Y.I., If you buy the vinyl from Amazon, it includes the 6CD set as a download. At ;east it did for me, I don't think they changed it.

10. Joey_Corleone

6CD No contest. The content is that much better, and the CDs do sound great and were mastered with care

Mitchum and Bill like this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thanks, but, with Barnes and Noble's weekend special, I can get the vinyl box for $50 and the 6 disc set for $100. Decisions, decisions.

12. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

BOTH

FJFP and Bill like this.
  13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The thought has occurred to me!

Mitchum and Buda like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But missing 67% of what is on the 6CD. Get the 6CD.

Bill likes this.
  15. What buy the deluxe if you ready own collectors edition? I must admit to almost doing the same then I figured, what's the point, its all redundant in the smaller box.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If this has been covered I apologize but if they made 5000 sets and now have to replace discs does that limit the number of complete sets to under 5 grand? I doubt they had replacements made in "lieu of glue."

17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They've said they're pressing additional disks as replacements.

Thelonious_Cube and eelkiller like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone know what the AUDIO SONIC logo is on the side of the 6CD set and exactly what it means?

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  19. Any limited edition of this size is always over-produced. I would guess 50 extra boxes, books and discs so that missing, damaged or defective boxes and/or parts can be sent with having to go back into production. In this case, with glue issues abound from shoddy assembly, it's entirely possible they were forced to go back to press new CDs to fulfill the demand.

eelkiller likes this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

What a pain in the *** that is, thanks for the reply.

21. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah. I recall someone earlier in the thread posted that customer service said they've got to go back to the presses, and it'll take a little time to receive replacement disks for that reason.

22. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

It's Charlie McCoy playing the attention-getting harmonica lick that graces 5 Believers, after each verse. But I believe it's Bob who tries a harmonica solo at 2:35 of take 3. The solo is clearly Bob's style. :D

(In my humble opinion of course)

23. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Well-the short answer is I'm nuts. Come to think of it-- that's the only answer.

No--I liked the idea of having all 4--the 18 CD, the 6 CD, and the LP (which includes the 2 CDs) (I even thought of getting the 2 CD anyway so I'd have all four different packages). Of course I did realize the Deluxe would be redundant--also, I could just recreate it from the digital files.

24. Joey_Corleone

Yep. I just spent a little time and made itunes playlists for the 2 CD and 6 CD from my collectors edition. Now I have all three : )

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

You need to buy the 1 disc promo CD as well...:)

Thelonious_Cube likes this.