Do you buy vinyl reissues to protect your originals?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

I was always of the mind that albums were meant to be played and that the original pressings can't be beat. I would never, ever consider owning a reissue of any sort. No way!

Then I started to acquire valuable records....

Like all of you, I have some super collectible albums. I've recently become very weird and decided that I don't want to play them because of their value. Also, the quality of reissues has really impressed me over the last few years.

I've spent the last week buying the Beatles mono reissues so that I won't have to play my UK mono originals. Same thing with my Dylan mono first pressings. In both cases, the reissues are excellent so I know I won't be missing much if anything by playing the reissues.

Oh and the Hendrix reissues are excellent too. So I've retired my originals.

I owned a few Zeppelin reissues, but they can't compare to my original UK pressings. So I won't be getting the reissues as replacements.

Anyway, does anyone else do this maddening behavior?

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Question: Where do originals go when they retire? Is life over when you've been replaced by a shiny reissue? Really, there's no harm in playing records that are valuable.... if you're not playing the best why play the rest??

Slick Willie and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  3. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

What's the point of having records to look at?

Their sole purpose is to be played and enjoyed, they are not a trophy.

richbdd01, jgrillo, ClausH and 7 others like this.
  4. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Retired? In any case you should enjoy the originals every now and then.

Tremaindous and Vinyl Addict like this.
  5. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

I buy records to play them, regardless of their "collector value". Their true value to me is the music they produce when played.

There is a relevant term among firearms aficionados for this syndrome.....Safe Queen. Don't have any myself. They were bought to shoot.

Don't have any "Rack Queens" either. Bought them to be played.

Just my opinion. YMMV

6. Guy Gadbois

I've got a space on my shelf for the originals. I'll play them from time to time, but I have a pristine UK first press of Abbey Road, misaligned Apple and everything that I just don't want to play.

7. Guy Gadbois

They will come out of retirement every now and then for sure!

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

EXACTLY. I started keeping records in 1964. Now I too have all the original mono UK Beatles, plus records from the 1950s, with all decades represented since. I play those.

I sure as hell know they can't go with me, into the urn.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I buy reissues so I don't have to listen to old vinyl that wasn't taken care of, which is a lot of it. If I find a valuable original in really good shape I'd buy it and play it on occasion and mostly play the reissue. I guess it would depend on how valuable though. Something worth a really good amount I'd frame it. Once they're wore out and unplayable they're gone forever. I know it wouldn't matter to me after I die but there's something about preserving a pristine piece of history that would give me satisfaction.

J Vanarsdale and dlokazip like this.
  10. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I buy vinyl reissues when:

1. I don't have the original and acquiring one is godawful expensive.
    2. My original is all scratched to hell.
    3. The CD version is different or sounds like garbage.

johnny q, Kristofa, 762rob and 2 others like this.
  11. George Blair

Why Queen? Is that left over from some derogatory reference to unmanliness... Off topic I know, but really? I hope it's a reference to Chess.

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

If I gotta be honest, Im guilty of this. I will buy a new copy of a valuble record if a suitable one is pressed.
    A perfect example would be Mad Season or Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
    But the originals are not retired. They still go for a spin every now and then.

13. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

Refers to a firearm is rarely or never fired. Could be for a number of reasons. Maybe because of the beauty of the wood in the stock or the high cost of a particular firearm. If it's an antique perhaps a question of if it safe to fire. If a collector wants to maximize the resale value, an unfired gun has an increased desirability for some buyers. Safe queen is a term in common use, not intended to be derogatory or a reference to unmanliness.

My point was that I buy things to enjoy them. Not to put them on a shelf or in a safe. Sorry if it offended you.

George Blair and Ghostworld like this.
  14. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

15. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

I hate having duplicates. I buy reissues when the original is expensive or hard to find in good shape. Once I find an original, I sell the reissue.

I had the really great Love "Forever Changes" reissue from RSD a few years back. Very, very well done. I found an original, NM/NM, still in shrink for $12! I kept the reissue for a bit, but then decided what's the point and sold it off. Space is precious, and I'd rather have room for new stuff rather than duplicates.

As long as your system is aligned, and you're careful with your jackets, you should be fine.

mooseman, Sean and J Vanarsdale like this.
  16. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I buy vinyl to protect my CDs.

Sean, audiotom and Ghostworld like this.
  17. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Spend your replacement money on a cartridge upgrade

Something that impacts the grooves less and sounds fabulous

Some new smaller needles trace lower down in the groove

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  18. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Enjoy them now! When its time for you to leave this earth your heirs will sell them for a dollar a piece at a garage sale anyway.... and some lucky collector will have a story to tell :righton:

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like to make a nice Maxell XL-IIS recording of my vinyl and the play the vinyl to protect the tape, since I anticipate the cassette revival being HUGE!

IbMePdErRoIoAmL and ShawnX like this.
  20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Sounds like plastic covers so the couch won't get worn out.

Slick Willie, Jrr and ShawnX like this.
  21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`ve only gotten back into vinyl a few years ago so it`s the other way around for me.I bought many originals after purchasing and listening to reissues.I ended up selling some of the reissues when I bought the originals.In some cases I upgraded my originals with better condition copies if I had the right oppourtunity.
    I guess my answer is I will play all of my originals but I`m very careful.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

23. George Blair

Not offended, just never heard the term before. I agree with your reference, it makes sense.

24. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Sorry...:)

It's the wine. :)

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

But almost every review said the reissue sounded better than an original. Wasn't that the case? If a choice between the two, I'd keep the one that sounds best.

Gaslight, Spitfire and e.s. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.