Poll--The Weakest Link: AL GREEN--GREATEST HITS (1975 version) Round 7, The Final

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

We ceased our infatuation with "I'm Still In Love With You."

That brings us to our final pairing. Remember, you are still voting to eject a song, leaving your choice of the Stronger of these two standing.

Discussion question: What would your final pairing have been?

Thanks for all that played and commented. Next: Not sure. I'm still thinking about whether to make this an "all-soul" WL series, or start mixing in some rock titles along with the two we have already done. Those playing this game are probably in favor of continuing; those that aren't are telling me something as well.

3 I'm Still In Love With You
    4 Here I Am (Come And Take Me)
    5 Call Me (Come Back Home)
    6 How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
    T7 You Ought To Be With Me
    T7 I Can't Get Next To You
    T9 Look What You Done For Me
    T9 Let's Get Married

2. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

"I'm Still in Love With You" and "Let's Stay Together," although they are kinda similar.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

My ideal final pairing would have been "Let's Stay Together" and "I'm Still In Love With You." In that case I might have picked "Let's Stay Together" for elimination (please notice the "might have"), but here there's no contest for me: "Tired of Being Alone" to go.

4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

This is my final pairing........"Let's Stay Together" - "Tired Of Being Alone" wins for me.

Mooserfan likes this.
  5. Monosterio

That's long been a complaint from some people about Green -- that his songs (and particularly the singles) sound the same. Robert Christgau mentions it in his review of Greatest Hits.

6. Joey Self

I had looked at Barry White as a possible entrant into this series, and came to that conclusion--too much sameness to me. Now, an expert in Barry White's output wouldn't hear it, perhaps, but I'm a neophyte beyond the hit singles in the '70's.

JcS

7. Monosterio

I agree about Barry White. I wouldn't have had much interest in that WL.

8. Joey Self

No, doesn't take long for me to say "I Can Get Enough Of Your Stuff, Barry."

JcS

9. Joey Self

Hmmm, only 12 votes so far. Maybe still too busy in the USA for this to have run only one day.

JcS

10. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

My final pairing would probably have been "Call Me" and "Still in Love with You"... These final two are great tunes--I've just heard them too many times, and they've lost some of their shine...

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

My top 3 are

1. Tired of Being Alone
    2. Here I Am
    3. Call Me

I take Christgau's point to an extent. But if you take the albums there's a lot of difference between, say, Gets Next to You, I'm Still in Love With You, Call Me, and Belle.

Next up. Tina Turner ? O'Jays ? Barry White mixed up with his Love Unlimited/Love Unlimited Orchestra ?

12. Monosterio

Just to be clear, I don't believe Christgau thinks that himself. He's just pointing out that some people have that opinion. He writes that the Greatest Hits album is "For those who refuse to believe the LPs contain hidden treasure and don't care that the singles 'all sound the same.' And for those, like me, who can go both ways with him."

Dhreview16 likes this.
  13. Joey Self

Still thinking about whether I will stick with the "soul" genre in this series or just go for a more grab bag approach. I'm looking at some options this afternoon. The Hollies may be next if I "go wide"; if not, The Pointer Sisters will probably get the nod.

JcS

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  14. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

final pair: call me & let's stay together.
    crazy suggestion for a wl: Saturday Night Fever ost minus the Bee Gees stuff. :eek:

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Tired of Being Alone

Most any of these songs would be ok for the last 2. Probably depends on what memory a song brings back to you.

16. Joey Self

That's a great thought. Of course, if you used the album as a "make-out" record, you might have problems cutting any of them! :)

JcS

Larry Mc likes this.
  17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

We all have those. :)

18. Joey Self

We didn't go for "Tired Of Being Alone," making

LET'S STAY TOGETHER

The Strongest Link on this album. (I am still thinking about what to do next; will start one tomorrow.)

19. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Let's Stay Together... I like the song a lot. Oddly enough my copies "disappeared" years ago. I probably like the song best on 45 more so than on album. My final two would have been "Look What You've Done For Me" and "I'm Still in Love With You."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.