The Fleetwood Mac Heroes Are Hard to Find Apprciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

JimSpark,

I agree that the cover of Heroes is a poor choice as well as not making much sense. You might be right that with a different cover the album might have fared better.

Scott

phillyal1 likes this.
  2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the cover, either. Interestingly, Heroes had the highest ranking of any pre-B/N Mac album, charting at #34. (The next highest would be – weirdly – Penguin at #49.) So I guess a few folks didn't mind taking the LP up to the counter for purchase.

The only three presentable album covers from pre-75 to me were the debut album, Then Play On and Bare Trees. All the others have some sort of affliction or another. :p Album cover art improved dramatically with the arrival of Stevie and Lindsey.

ShawnX and Slokes like this.
  3. It's the music that matters, not what's on the front cover of the album.

rockclassics likes this.
  4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

This one is pretty easy to find on vinyl. The used store near me has several and he can't seem to move them even though they are reasonably priced - less that $6.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If they ever do redo it, I hope they remix it and exhume the buried lead vocals.

phillyal1 and Bill Mac like this.
  6. Never mind a remix... I doubt we'll even get a decent remaster on CD. :realmad:

7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

++++++++++++++++++

Of course the music matters most but at the time this album was released Fleetwood Mac weren't well known in the US and their earlier success (mostly in the UK) was a few years old. The cover of Heroes probably didn't do them any favors. I really like the covers of their albums starting with Then Play On. The covers of Kiln House, Future Games and Bare Trees are excellent choices. Mystery to Me and Heroes, not so much.

Scott

8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

What IS the deal with that cover? Not very educated on FM, so any info would be helpful to explain how they put that out.

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Like it a lot, but it lacks the lead guitar bite that Weston or Kirwan would bring (as well as a third songwriter).

Interestingly the Mac albums made as a quartet are their less-recognised works - the first two (Green + Spencer), Kiln House (Kirwan + Spencer, and C McVie in the background), Heroes (Welch + McVie) and Say You Will (Buckingham + Nicks). I'd not put any of those in my top five FM choices.

Lastly, this album is the only instance I can think of where a band has reused a song title on a totally unrelated song- Welch's Angel here, and Nicks's Angel on Tusk.

10. I think the only time that an album cover or any of the artwork on an album may influence the buying public is if it was something such as a picture or drawing of something in extremely bad taste or something very inappropriate.

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love the title track too as well as Come A Little Bit Closer. The album is all about Christine for me.

Slokes likes this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Keep positive. We did get a remastered, restored and expanded issue of Then Play On, so anything is possible

13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It's a fine album and gets regular play at my house. I still remember when it came out, when a friend who had be the best stereo around brought it home and we all went over to listen.

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Yes, but that really was an era where poor cover art choices were all over the place. Not too sure it made much difference on commercial success or lack thereof.

chacha likes this.
  15. Was it really expanded? I thought it just had one or two extra tracks.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The proper UK version, plus Oh Well (parts 1 and 2), The Green Manalishi and World Harmony.

17. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

1st time I was ready to buy the used LP, it was $6.99 (about 2 years ago). Next time, it was $12.99 (just a few months ago). That price, plus the album cover, made me leave it behind.

Maybe a download of the album should be in my future!

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

People have a tendency to read too much into that kind of stuff. I think the meaning behind it was probably as innocent as can be, but it certainly wasn't a wise move.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think years afterwards, it probably kept at least a few people from taking a chance on it. If you bought it in '74, it was because you were already a fan. But if you were flipping through the glut of pre-BN Fleetwood Mac LP's in a shop in the late-70's to now, and didn't know much about them, would Heroes be the one you'd pick?

It's not really better or worse than a lot of other 70's album covers, though. It just hasn't aged well. And is slightly terrifying. I had an ex-girlfriend who haaaated that I owned that LP.

20. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

This album haunted all the cutout bins for many years! No one should pay more than $3 or $4 for it on vinyl or cassette.
    I finally bought it a few years ago. Probably played it 2 or 3 times. It seems to lack the blues rock of the Peter Green era, and the powerful chart topping rock of the Buckingham - Nicks era.

21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just look at it as another entry in the series of "covers with really strange Mick Fleetwood photos." Between Mick naked in a bush ("Mr. Wonderful"), Mick as an extremely ugly woman ("English Rose"), Mick with dangly balls ("Rumours")...

23. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, that's convenient - there's another 'Original Album Series' set with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Mr. Wonderful and Pious Bird Of Good Omen as well. :)

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Love how Welch and Christine work and sound together on this album. Always dug "She's Changing Me"--one tough little pop song that coulda been a hit.

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Either that or the Blue Horizon set if it can be found easily. It adds the 'Original Fleetwood Mac' outtakes album and all the single material from that era. I got it for cheap, but I suspect it's really hard to find now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.