Which albums can be spotted as first pressings without further checking?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hail Vinyl!, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anti PC.

anti PC. Forum Resident

Black Crowes Amorica with girl in bikini showing more then some people like on the 1st pressings. A cover with only the bikini with the rest blacked out in later pressings ..
    Poison . Open up and say ...... ahh with the tongue sticking out. Later pressings cover the tongue.

2. anti PC.

anti PC. Forum Resident

Guns n roses appetite for destruction . 1st pressings has the "rape scene" later pressings have the cross and skulls .

3. anti PC.

anti PC. Forum Resident

Thought of 1 more. Bon Jovi with girl showing too much cleavage on Slippy When Wet. Later pressings got rid of the girl all together.

4. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Here's something I posted last night in the Listening to on Vinyl thread:

The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run
    US Dolton mono 1st pressing

On the back cover of the very rare first version, the band is shown in an actual photograph. (copy on the left).

All other pressings but the first batch have somewhat indistinct sketch of the photo, like the copy on the right:
    [​IMG]

The reason that the original photograph was replaced is because the band themselves are not pictured on the front cover--it's a bunch of stand ins.

From Wikipedia:
    The Ventures were on one of their first tours as Liberty Records began compiling their first album and were still on the road by the time of the front cover photo shoot. As a result, four employees from Liberty's stockroom (with two wearing sunglasses) were posed as if they were falling or tripping over instruments with model Barbara Grimes walking in front of them. A photo of the actual Ventures was originally featured on the back cover, but to avoid possible confusion when compared to the "stand-ins" on the front cover it was replaced with an outline-drawn version of the same photo.

jamesmaya likes this.
  5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The girl photo version was never released in the United States, and it might not have ever been replaced in other countries (though I'm not 100 percent sure of that second statement).

6. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Pavlov's Dog's debut was originally released on ABC with the white bordered cover before soonafter being released by Columbia in the alternate cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rockclassics likes this.
  7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Alice Cooper - Love it to Death In addition to Alice showing his thumb, first pressings were on the Straight Label with pink colored LP labels. Subsequent issues of the album were on the familiar Warner Brothers label.

Scott

8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The first two Lynyrd Skynyrd albums, (pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd) and Second Helping, were first issued on the Sounds of the South label; the records have yellow labels.

First U.S. pressings of Skylarking by XTC contain the song "Mermaid Smiled." Second editions contain "Dear God" instead.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

[​IMG]

3 Dog Night - original cover for It Ain't Easy

10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

In the UK, the first 1000 pressings of MAIT had a voucher enabling a friend of the buyer to get a free copy, as a way of promoting the record to a wider audience. It was also originally planned to replace the record after initial copies had sold with the newer version that Elvis had recorded with the Attractions (most of Clover backed him on the original recording). That never happened.

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Original copies of Sonic Youth's Sister has the photograph by Richard Avedon, later replaced by a black box.

12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The other thing to note about the first pressing cover is that it has the thumb and does NOT have the white box in the upper right corner that says "includes I'm Eighteen" this would be a second press on the Warners green label.

13. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

If you talk about the baby woodrose Danish band first álbum you are wrong, The first pressing is not Black vinyl, first pressing was in blue vinyl on animal records, spanish label...
    The other big different is that the first pressing wasn't mixed or mastered (i don't remember)

14. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

The 3 first White stripes records are in sftdr, both, The cd and the vinyl...
    Sound and look awesome. Best pressings so far (of both formats)

Jimmy B. likes this.
  15. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Black Sabbath, Paranoid: first UK pressing has matt unlaminated gatefold cover with "Management/Jim Simpson/Big Bear/Birmingham" credtis inside the gatefold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There was a version in the middle - with a black sticker over the photo. I have one, and was able to peel off the sticker. It left a bit if glue but the picture can then be seen.

Dave S likes this.
  17. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin IV, there are two variants of label considered first UK pressing:
    - one has the plum-red label with Peter Grant credits and name of the band below the white strip, moreover, the "Superhype Music Inc." credits is missing.
    - one has the plum-red label with stickers applied in order to correct the above mistakes.
    Both have the text "Under licence from Atlantic Recording Corpn., U.S.A." over the white strip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  18. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. I didn't mention the insert because they are near impossible to find... at least legitimate inserts. As far as, "the newer version that Elvis had recorded with the Attractions," - I'm fairly certain the Attractions MAIT never left the planning stage. Though I'd love to be proven wrong.

19. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Moby Grape's self-titled debut features Don Stevenson flipping the bird in front of the washboard. His mischievous finger was airbrushed out of later versions.

20. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Neil Young "Comes A Time": first US pressing has the song "Lotta Love" listed as last track on label and cover (matrix side 1 with "RE 2").

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sean and Bob M. like this.
  21. The OP did not specify format in his first post, so I'm gonna assume you are referring to the CD version of 'Amorica' and not the vinyl which I believe was never censored. Also, i bought the CD the week it was released here in Canada and it was the censored version.

22. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. Great album, always wondered what "WG" was about!

23. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Abbey Road UK - Misaligned Apple on back cover.....

[​IMG]

24. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Those pressings with the different covers went to certain retailers, like Walmart, that would not carry the original covers. Jane's Addiction, "Ritual de lo habitual" also had 2 covers for that reason.

25. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i'm not sure about my aim is true would need a citation for that but the Claudia Cardinale remained on UK pressings for many years, in fact I'm not sure if it was ever removed, however UK orig B&B pressings have flip overs on the inside gatefold and 33 not 33 1/3rd on the labels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.