Stephen Colbert: Not funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by erniebert, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't think that it's a matter of me not "getting it", it is a matter of me thinking that he does not belong delivering his version of a funny monologue before the Congress of the United States of America.

I would respect him if I felt that he was bringing something relevant to the table, but alas, he brought nothing to the table except his usual smart ass remarks.

As a private citizen, I would like to believe that our elected officials would have something better to do with their time than listening to stand-up comedy from a sitting down comedian.

Many members of congress were similarly not amused, but there was no "OFF" switch.

Why didn't he simply address congress by inviting all who are interested to view his dissertation on national TV.

Is someone trying to convince me that he was presenting relevant testimony before the congressional committee? Please.

Lightworker likes this.
  2. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Perhaps Congress should vote on the question of whether Colbert is funny and settle the matter.

bpmd1962, Huck Caton and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I did comment that I don't watch TV at home.

However, since there are TV's almost everywhere you go now, he does pop up a lot. Although my exposure to Mr. Colbert represents a small statistical sample, my impressions were and are that his jabs were pretty much directed at the other party.

Actually, I happened to be in one of those places when I viewed his "testimony".

Before he spoke, I said to myself, gee, I had no idea that Stephen Colbert was some kind of authority on the subject. I listened to him because I was genuinely interested in what he had to present on the subject.

Then, he started to speak... Nothing of any intelligence was said, just the usual rock throwing.

If you are trying to convince me that this was relevant testimony, I am not buying into that.

It does seem that you are trying to make the point that he is not one sided and I'm missing all those remarks about the other party, let me ask you.

Would you say he balance was about 50/50%? My perception would be more like 90/10%. I would like your views on an approximate percentage of jabs on his party vs. the "other" party.

Just curious???

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Tedster likes this.
  4. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

He stepped up to address improved labor conditions for farm workers. A noble cause. I think he made relevant points about visas. And the line about funding for waist high soil? Boom!

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree with the comments that Kimmel is the most naturally funny. I have no problem with Colbert but do not go out of my way to see him. It is still hard for me to tune in to that channel and not see Letterman. Fallon has to have a must see guest before I tune in to him at all and then usually when the interview is over I'm annoyed at how much time he spent laughing instead of asking good questions. And when it is time for some stupid game I'm out.

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You, my friend, are not alone. I cannot stand looking at or listening to him. He is just plain "goofy" & not at all funny.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3.... 2...... 1......

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It's a shame that congress has become a reality show that it takes something like this to cut through the clutter before anyone will pay attention.

Of course people aren't going to get it. I'm sure there were a lot of people who didn't get "A Modest Proposal" in Jonathan Swift's time, too.

At the end of his testimony, Colbert did break character to explain why he came before them. It was quite heartwarming.

Gems-A-Bems and Deesky like this.
  9. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I don't get involved in political discussions on internet forums, or I'd weigh in here.

10. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I was laughing, that was funny! Thank for posting it.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  11. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Have you read your own posts in this thread?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  12. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"I like talking about people who don’t have any power, and it seems like one of the least powerful people in the United States are migrant workers who come in and do our work, but don’t have any rights as a result. And yet, we still ask them to come here, and at the same time, ask them to leave. And that’s an interesting contradiction to me, and um…you know, “whatsoever you did for the least of my brothers,” and these seemed like the least of my brothers, right now. A lot of people are “least brothers” right now, with the economy so hard, and I don’t want to take anyone’s hardship away from them or diminish it or anything like that. But migrant workers suffer, and have no rights."

Yep. Rock throwing indeed.

13. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile Thread Starter

What's a "Congress"?

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Good lord man...he is a comedian that's lampooning Bill O'Reilly. What's there to get?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

That's a silly comment. I've besmirched no poster here. I just don't care for Colbert's lapdog shtick and choose to highlight the mendacity of many of his fans.
    I find that when I'm exposed to viewpoints that I don't agree with, I learn from them and either change my own views or verify my own perceptions depending
    on the evidence I'm presented with. I've seen no evidence that Mr. Colbert is positioning himself as a mainstream talk show host a la Carson or early (pre-1994)
    Letterman. He's transparently preaching to the politically-unsophisticated choir that found the tiresome conservative-mocking of old The Colbert Report entertaining.
    Personally, I find Bill O'Reilly insufferable...so the last thing I want to see is a second-rate parody of something that I find annoying to begin with.

16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I was waiting for the "Ba-Ba-Booey" at the end...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

On A Lighter Note........ :whistle:..... one of the funnier late night episodes was with James Corden. He talked about getting to work on time and needed somebody to ride with him so he could use the express lane. If I remember the scene correctly, he's sitting in the passenger seat and nervous about the driver and after some back and forth comments he decides he cant do it and says he'll drive. The camera pans over and it's Stevie Wonder behind the wheel telling Corden: "I can do this". I lost it. One of the better late late night moments.
    Like I said, if I remember correctly, but the whole 5+ minute scene was truly funny.

inperson and dlokazip like this.
  18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

No, not trying to convince you. The fact that you don't understand is how it is obvious that you don't get it.

swandown, Billy Infinity and dlokazip like this.
  19. JeremyD

JeremyD Member

Not ever?! I have laughed during every late night program at one time or another. Some are better than others: I thought Letterman was funnier than Leno, Colbert funnier than Kimmel and Fallon, and O'Brien is O'Brien, kinda an oddball, but he is funny. Maybe I'm just easily entertained.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Thread closed due to political discussions throughout it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.