Do you buy vinyl reissues to protect your originals?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Or keep them both, after all it's only 1/10 of an inch of precious space.

Vinyl Addict, MLutthans and FJosh like this.
  2. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Not sure where it comes from, but the queen term gets used in other collector communities. The classic car guys call a restored car that is never driven a "garage queen." If the car makes it to the show, but not under its own power, it is a "trailer queen." The airport guys call the beautiful plane that never flies a "hangar queen."

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Most new vinyl is more expensive than the originals anyway. Whipped Cream and Other Delights anyone??

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Exactly. That's why I said "If a choice between the two," although I can't imagine the choice being absolutely necessary.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

?"
    No!

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, it seems to me "queen" is a reference to an object "treated like royalty" i.e. pampered and kept on a throne.

wcarroll and theshape like this.
  7. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I buy reissues partly because I'm a bit of a completist and because I like to compare them with the originals. For some reason the changes in the label copy and the inscriptions in the deadwax fascinates me.

I do notice that sometimes the artwork on the reissues is not as sharp as the originals, such as some of the albums in the Lennon box set from this year. Makes me wonder if the negatives or printing plates no longer exist.

8. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I buy records to play them. I'd prefer original pressings of everything but that's not going to happen unless I win the lottery.

As long as you're careful and don't have a horrible table/worn cartridge I doubt they are going to degrade massively.

Would be different if you were intending to sell them at a later date hoping for a big pay day.

9. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I play the originals in order to protect me from getting the reissues.
    Seriously though, I'll get a reissue only if I can't find an original, or if the original is too pricey.

10. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

If I have a good sounding original I don't even think about getting reissues. I'll play that old motherfreaker until it begs for mercy.

And then I'll die.

rxcory likes this.
  11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Unless you plan on using the records for retirement or figure out a way to take them
    With you when you die I say what's the point.

12. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I buy re-issues when I can't afford originals. When I can save my pennies for that rare, expensive beast I play it. I might not play it often, but I play it and don't bother with a re-issue. I have a first pressing of Somethin' Else and, for me, that's a VERY expensive record. I only play it every so often and when I do it's like an event. Kinda special.
    That said, I do have some iTunes versions of some stuff, but that's for convenience and not for getting-lost-in-the-music time.
    But you know, it's not like you're hurting anyone. Enjoy your hobby however you do.

13. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

On the contrary, I replaced my reissue of Smash Your Head Against the Wall with a UK original.

14. I used to buy the re-issues hoping to get a better sounding copy than the originals but soon found that many times the originals sounded better than the "audiophile" re-issues on heavy weight vinyl. In the last couple of years, the re-issues have started to finally surpass the originals, especially the MoFi releases. Now I am buying the audiophile re-issues to retire the originals to the shelves and, if the price is decent, to buy as an investment.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

What I get from your post, and I agree completely, is you either buy to collect, or buy to listen. There is no way on earth I am going to retire a recording I enjoy! It was made to be listened to, not sit on a shelf. If you are buying to collect, maybe you are concerned about resale value and you feel by not playing it, someone will pay more for it. Which makes no sense at all if you have a decent turntable and cartridge, which a vinyl collector likely has. You aren't going to hurt the record, and how many people are really going to believe you weren't playing it? So, my vote is bought to be played!

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Wait until your drop that rare original record. Seriously, the only reason you see so many obscure punk LPs is that the owners bought two copies, one to play, one to keep.

17. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

I didn't notice a big difference, but my system might not be the most resolving. It's hard to imagine a scenario where I would get rid of the original, other than perhaps it being less than NM. So would I listen to the reissue and keep the original as a trophy? I guess I could have sold it, it is a $200 record in that condition. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. And keeping both, I would always opt for the original otherwise it's pointless to own.

This hobby is tough sometimes.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

But why? For me the point is to have the best sound coming from the record on my turntable.

Sorry, I realize this is just us coming from different angles on why we collect. I don't mean to be obtuse, but I suppose in this case i just am.

19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I keep both, most of the time I don't feel one is better than the other but different... Cocteau Twins Heaven or Las Vegas or the Depeche Mode re-issues come to mind...

20. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I play all my records, cause they were made for. If a reissue sounds better, I sell the original. I keep one copy of each album only (with a very few exceptions).

21. I try to have original presses for collecting purposes and reissues for listening purposes
    then I often bitch that reissues don't sound as good as original presses
    So I had to take the radical step of removing my originals from my shelves and boxing those in order to protect them
    this created space in my shelves for me to fill with more records, BUT I now have a stck of boxes filled with records and our basement is full, so I need to empty the basement, but the wife doesnt want me to because I'd screw up everything down there, but at the same time doesnt have time to do it herself, so she ... well you get the picture...

c-eling likes this.
  22. I bought an alarm system and insurance to protect my originals :tiphat:

Tommyboy and Vinyl Addict like this.
  23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Does this fall under homeowners insurance?

24. Yes it does or if you are a renter content insurance is a very good idea. . I have a line item for my records but in a perfect world you would attach a rider with a detailed list and value and pay a bit more.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  25. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

No. The point of owning an album is to listen to it. So no, I don't buy reissues as safety copies. I do buy duplicate copies in hopes of finding a quieter, better sounding version. I generally will keep the two best copies. But they are two vintage copies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.