Vinyl Rips You've Done That Are Better Than The Actual CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Picked this up today cheap at a flea market:

[​IMG]

Figured I'd "upgrade" from the rip I did 10 years ago.......wrong.
    Better highs & clarity on my homemade disc.

Others?

lbangs likes this.
  2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've lost count.

Keep in mind that I also have CD rips that sound better than the CD as well, it's not mutually exclusive to vinyl rips.

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

12 inch singles that are only released as digital compressed abominations
    For some it may be easier to do a good transfer of an lp where the cd equivalent has pre-emphasis, -OMD Architecture & Morality, every pre-remaster has it, and then this one-

4. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Captain Beefheart's Strictly Personal. The CD has the double problem of early loudness war (tinny) and noise reduction. Aside from a bit of inner groove distortion during Kandy Korn, my vinyl rip breathes life.

SquaRoots and c-eling like this.
  5. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

All vinyl rips I made of titles which (imho) are better mastered on vinyl are better (to my ears) than the actual CDs. I also have vinyl records that are mastered worse than the CDs. I love both formats, by the way

6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Lou Reed's New York. It always sounded dull on cd. Maybe the first album where I noticed the vinyl was superior.

grandegi, Geordie777 and Adamski777 like this.
  7. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

I don't see any point even doing this unless it's going to be better than the CD.

Dante Fontana likes this.
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

grandegi likes this.
  9. It's a poor mastering on CD IMHO and I quite agree that the vinyl blows away the CD. Sadly that included the newly released boxed set. I haven' t neard Ludwig's latest HD transfer yet.

dino77 likes this.
  10. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Would not, everyone's definition or at least idea of what constitutes better, factor into this mostly?

11. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Running the ripped cd files through SoX de-emphasis solves that problem. I've heard a few needledrops that bested the CD releases due to poor mastering for the CD release or a brickwalled remaster.

GerryO and c-eling like this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"I'm Your Man", Leonard Cohen. The original CD issue sounds out of focus compared to the LP. My burnt CD, needle dropped 44.1/24, then down sampled to 16 bit, sounds much better than the original CD. Not as good as the LP, not that I'm surprised. Still, as good a demonstration of the importance of mastering as any other.

Dave likes this.
  13. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't necessarily love em' (as I edit them out when I can), but I have some drops I've been listening to for so long that if the occasional click & pop weren't there it wouldn't sound right to me.

14. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Since the Rock Candy Label screwed up the Head East Live album I made my own needledrop from a near mint Japanese LP that was pressed on JVC super vinyl for A&M Japan. Yes, you can see right through it when you hold it up to a light just like the old Mobile Fidelity LP's.

It sounds way better.

MYQ1 and c-eling like this.
  15. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

JWB's rips/remasters of the 13th Floors Elevators' catalog trump the shiddy Charly versions....

JFS3, GreenFuz and Dave like this.
  16. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

My needledrop of the White Stripes' Icky Thump is far better than the CD. Our host mastered the vinyl which sounds great, the CD is a brickwalled mess.

17. I wish great masterings were universal for all formats of a title. Another reason, as a CD listener I feel I'm getting the shaft. New titles with better vinyl mastering than their CD counterparts. Perhaps the folks in charge think only the vinyl purchasers will care about DR and that CD listeners will more likely have a crappy system that needs brickwall compensation.

Dave S, Dave, Yost and 2 others like this.
  18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Ditto for the rest of their catalog.

19. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Every single one.

mwicks likes this.
  20. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Exile In Guyville by a wide margin. Once you've heard the vinyl rip you can't ever go back to the trash cd.

marc with a c likes this.
  21. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I don't do them myself,but I have many from some of the best the Internet has to offer.IMO if a CD sounds great the needledrop sounds the same but warmer or less punchy.On other occasions like Zappa ,the ND blows the Cd out of the water in all aspects.Again..to my ears.

22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

My drop of the Whispers "Bingo" murders the Unidisc CD. The original LP is far clearer. Unidisc does some truly terrible work.

Ed

23. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I agree. And this is a particularly sad case. This is one of my very favorite records. I bought the original vinyl new. Even the original vinyl sounded like crap. I mean this has gotta be one of the worst recorded GREAT records of all time. The idea that this already terrible sounding gem could be and is actually made WORSE with the digital age is just a plain disgrace.

onionmaster likes this.
  24. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I use the Dynamic Range Database to get some info on a release. It helps sometimes.

Hutch likes this.
  25. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I've had great success using a good CD analog recorder with Super Bit Mapping (SBM). Fleetwood Mac (recent Grundman Studio vinyl) and Nevermind (ORG vinyl) are two I've done that beat (IMO) the CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.