Too Much "Star Wars"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GLUDFSSR, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I'm loving every minute of it.

JuanTCB and Jason Manley like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Funny, by your avatar and user name I always pictured you as more of a Star Trek guy.

:D

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  3. I wouldn't disagree normally but as someone interested in seeing the movie, it's burning it out for me to,the point where I might do what I normally do 1) wait 2) wait till home video so I can divorce myself from the hype. I occasionally can separate the hype from a movie but this one is EVERYWHERE from the supermarket to the gas station to big stores.

I know that they truly are trying to reach beyond the fanatic to average Wayne's like me who just want to see a good movie but the build up can sometimes backfire as well. I doubt that will happen. Yes, if I were in Goofy's shoes I'd market the hell out of it. Stock options, bonuses and awards beckon BUT I'm not in those shoes. I'm in size eleven tennis shoes.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Coming soon a Jar Jar Binks Christmas special.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope he steps in Reindeer poop.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Size 12 Nike shoes for me! (And I'm a short guy.)

I'm sympathetic to a degree with Lucasfilm and Disney because this is uncharted territory and a lot is riding on it. But I think we're already past the point where they've gone too far with overhyping the living crap out of it. There's a lot of this kind of thing going on with Star Wars...
    [​IMG]

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This kind of hype has come with every Star Wars movie since 1977. Why do people think this is something new since the Disney buyout?

8. I don't think that's it necessarily new but the cross promotional tie ins which act as part of the hype have grown to outrageous proportion. I suppose working as much as I was in the 80's I missed most of,the hype. Don't have much time for TV when you're working on shows.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the difference now is the frenzy of interviews and billboards and toys and crap. Plus all the other relatively-minor movies that just raise the level of noise up to a deafening roar. Back in the 1970s, there weren't 15 blockbusters a year screaming for our ticket dollars. Now, there are. To some degree, I think people are getting sick of it.

I think it's telling that J.J. Abrams was initially really gung-ho about doing the movie, but I've seen him on talk shows and he looks tired and beat-up to me. And he's already said he's not going to direct any other Star Wars movies. I think the studio execs are really, really scrutinizing every single step, every frame, every bit of social media, every toy, every single iota of media involved with the movie.

The Hermit and driverdrummer like this.
  10. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

That's okay, I've never seen the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit Trilogies, or the Christian Bale Batman trilogies, with no intention of catching up on them.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Have you seen the new Trojan condoms...
    To certain extent but everywhere go almost everything see at a store..
    Marketing overload on speed and redbull.

12. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Or, the Harry Potter films.. :cool:

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Not to mention that social media doesn't help things. Years ago, you only saw stuff on TV or a promotion at a fast food place. Now it's plastered all over Facebook and Twitter, and probably Myspace if it still exists. Although, I did do something to my Google account, so that now if I use Google maps, it looks like I'm flying a Tie Fighter.

driverdrummer likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Based on yer avatar, shouldn't that be, "Loving every minute of it, I am.":laugh:

Yeah...I'm starting to think the overabundance of Star Wars merchandising is getting a little bit out of hand. Went grocery shopping yesterday morning...they actually have 'special edition' Star Wars Kraft Dinner- pasta that looks like R2, 3Po, Yoda, Vader and an X Wing fighter. R2 or 3P0 are on the boxes. That said, my kid loves KD (what kid doesn't?) so I bought two boxes...I couldn't help it:shake:

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

How about this?

JPagan and turnersmemo like this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: That is great!

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

BTW, see the following for an explanation of the man with the incredibly obvious fake beard at the beginning:

turnersmemo likes this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

In all honesty, I'd rather see a butt-load of commercials for "SW" than to sit through those commercials for pills that take about 2 minutes to tell you all about the crazy side-effects that can happen if you take them!

driverdrummer and lightbulb like this.
  20. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

21. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

:laugh:

22. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

To me, since modern advertising is a mega-zillion business, nowadays I fully expect mass market tie in promotional advertisements, commercials, product tie-ins, celebrity appearances, billboards, banners, wraps on buses, skywriting, etc...

In an odd way, part of me is intrigued to the extent of how the boundaries of commercial marketing have exploded!!!

I think and marvel at whomever thought of it... hmmmm... What a great job that must be!!!

Some are quite inventive...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    scobb, driverdrummer and marblesmike like this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'm ready for the new film to be released just so some of the hype dies down...

Complier, lightbulb and driverdrummer like this.
  24. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I feel kinda sorry for the fanboys who must buy every new Star Wars related product!

lightbulb likes this.
  25. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I can imagine that for those poor souls who have never seen the movies, or for those who don't "get" Star Wars, the marketing hype must seem absurd right now.

For those of us who realize the galactic significance of a sequel trilogy and the return of our childhood "friends", it makes perfect sense that half the world is ready to pee their pants with excitement. :laugh:

Allen Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.