Octopus by Gentle Giant - the Steven Wilson Treatment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Used to be the preferred version 'round these parts was the 80's German CD on Line Records. Some -- myself included -- now prefer the 1990 Vertigo CD, standard issue in most countries. It's not as detailed as the Line, but it's nice and wooly -- real fat and warm-sounding to my ears, especially in the lower frequencies.

alexpop likes this.
  2. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Frankly, all the ones I heard sound good, some just a little more than others.
    I felt the Repertoire remaster was really good at the time.

Tristero likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought that CD was a needle drop?

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not at all. I'm talking about the 2009 (?) version, I don't know if there was another. It was mastered from the same digital copy as the Line and/or the Vertigo, by forum member (and ex-Grobschnitt drummer) Eroc, as they couldn't get the master tapes for it.
    The 2012 Alucard remaster was from the original tapes, and is equally excellent, although more compressed.

alexpop likes this.
  6. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I like the BGO twofer of the first two albums - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t&qid=1447885797&ref_=sr_1_26&s=music&sr=1-26

If you scroll down you'll see a nice review by Wayne Klein who is a member here.

Apparently some errors were corrected on the repress as well - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t&qid=1447885797&ref_=sr_1_26&s=music&sr=1-26

Multiple comments at the bottom of that page.

ultron9 likes this.
  7. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Where to get the 2012 Alucard? I see this on Amazon but not sure its the one you mention.

ps... I'm sure y'all know this but just in case - Alucard is Dracula spelled backwards.

8. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Its an app that some forums contract with to provide its content in an app format for mobile devices. QQ uses it too. This forum uses something else, I forget exactly.

There is a cost if I'm not mistaken. I prefer just to use my browser even on my iPad. Browser is a little clunky but its free.

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

This forum always runs better than any other I have seen. Sometimes I get throttled down to 56 kps until the end of the month and this site is the least effected. No advertising is most likely the reason.

I use tapatalk for Avsforum. QQ and a few others on my tablet.

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Just received the 5.1 Steve Wilson re-mix of Octopus.
    My Oppo BD-83 defaults to stereo though when every other 5.1 or 4.o disc defaults to multi-channel.
    There's no menu either.
    Anyone have any info?

Thanks

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It seems others have that same problem too. There is some info on the Quad forum, maybe try the tricks exposed here.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  12. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I have a BDP-83 and my copy of Octopus works fine. Do you have the latest firmware? There was one released last year I believe.

13. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I preordered the Octopus vinyl Steve Wilson edition from Burning Shed in the UK. For me this one has to be vinyl and there is no good reason for it! Expected in December. And thank you duneman for the hot tip, I just ordered a used copy of Giant On The Box from Amazon. It should be a treat. I can at least play the vibe solo for my son (a percussionist) over the holidays.

duneman likes this.
  14. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Got the CD/Blu-ray yesterday. As I don't own a Blu-ray player (yet), I've only listened to the CD. While not blown away with the sound, I think it's good. My girlfriend who is more of an audiophile than I, said she was disappointed after a first listen.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Have you both heard the album before?

16. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Yeah, of course. Big GG fan here. We've not heard it on vinyl, but I own the old Vertigo CD. Compared to that one, I think this one is better.
    She was mostly disappointed with the sound of the drums.

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Clean the Persistent Storage on your 83. It usually solves many problems.

18. husafreak

That Giant On The Box DVD is pretty cool brought back some great memories!

duneman likes this.
  19. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Here are some (badly shot) photos of the packaging, if anyone's interested:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. husafreak

My old Octopus LP (vinyl) has the Octopus in a jar cover, I think that is the original. The jar is the entire cover. I like it.

21. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

That's the US cover. The Roger Dean cover is the original UK/Europe one.

Schlack_Gong, ultron9 and duneman like this.
  22. husafreak

Just got the 2015 S.W. vinyl pressing from Alucard and compared it to my really old original Columbia. Not a big difference at all. So really no need to buy the new one if your old LP sounds good and you like it. That said the new LP does sound fantastic! Dead quiet and very true to the original mix, but with the original you have to use your imagination a bit more ;) The music is all there but just a bit more monolithic and less ambiance. The new S.W. mix just pulls a bit more information out of those old tapes. The instruments have a bit more personality, and extension. The sleeve and liner notes are cool. Here is a quote from them: "Martin's original mixes were already fantastic, but Steve managed to expand on that, bringing subtleties and nuances to the fore that we otherwise didn't notice during the original sessions." Anil Prasad.

duneman, Isaac McHelicopter and Dok like this.
  23. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Just ordered the Wilson remix Blu-ray 2 disk set via Amazon.uk. I noticed it's unavailable via Burning Shed and prices going up on eBay. I recommend anyone wanting this version to get it now before it becomes very hard to find, The wilson high rez versions don't stay in print for very long. I plan on getting "The Power and the Glory" set as well.

husafreak and DaverJ like this.
  24. husafreak

You will not regret it. I am lucky to have nice copies from back in the day but I still purchased these remixes. For me it is not "just another album" I am a huge fan of progressive music for life because these albums blew my mind when they first came out. It amazes me that these remixes are even being done, I feel the love! There is an outfit in Canada that did a remix vinyl of "Acquiring The Taste". I didn't get it because of the expense but I did pop for their reissues of my favorite Harmonium albums. I'll bet that LP sounds fantastic...
    GENTLE GIANT Acquiring The Taste - $29.99 : ClassicReissues.com - Canadian Home To Exclusive High Quality Vinyl And Compact Disc Titles »

ultron9 likes this.
  25. husafreak

Oh yeah, they don't ship outside of Canada so you would have to get creative there, I found a seller on Discogs.

ultron9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.