Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Wrong, its not just the intro of one song, its lower or missing throughout the whole remix compared to the original, also the Drums sound way off.

DiabloG likes this.
  2. CheezCache

CheezCache Forum Resident

I just compared the original and remix, and while the rides (and the drums in general) sound a little lighter, I wouldn't say they're too low in the mix. It just sounds a bit different, which was kind of the point of the remix.

Billy Budapest and Ben Adams like this.
  3. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Not sure if the point of the remix was to lower the Cymbals or change the drum sound on the Album.
    Thats was not what people were complaining about.

Well thats for another thread, I'll leave it at that.

4. CheezCache

Hey, can someone with a good collection of original vinyl compare the cover art with the new reissues? I noticed upon receiving AFtK that the cover was slightly out of focus, and upon comparison the color is a bit different as well. Are the others the same, or better?

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I think Grace Under Pressure uses the updated color scheme from the '97 and Sector remasters. In addition to that, the colors on the Fly By Night reissue's cover are darker than the original vinyl.

6. I respectfully disagree. The whole ride cymbal argument is just plain . . . untrue. It's basically just the intro of one song where the ride cymbal is mixed way down.

7. DiabloG

Would this track be Secret Touch or One Little Victory? I remember it being either of those.

8. I don't remember. It's the one that has a cymbal intro.

I generally do not listen to the remix. I had bought the Andy VanDette remastered Vapor Trails when it was available on HD Tracks for a few short months before the remixed version replaced it. The remastered original mix of Vapor Trails is my preferred way to listen to the LP--it has none of the crackling distortion present on the original mastering.

9. Patti12

Patti12 Well-Known Member

Is this remastered original mix available somewhere to buy or download at the moment?

10. DiabloG

I'd really like to hear that version someday. I remember someone on the forum saying that it's on Qobuz, but getting it in the US involves emailing the site or something else of that sort. Hopefully this album somehow gets remastered by McGee, but I'm pretty sure the band considers the remix to be the definitive version for now, so it's very unlikely. I'm guessing that the reason Clockwork Angels won't be remastered is because it's either "too new" or due to it being owned by Roadrunner Records in the US.

ytserush likes this.
  11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/vapor-trails-rush/0603497923021

It was pretty easy to email and ask for access.

Patti12, Plan9, DiabloG and 1 other person like this.
  12. CheezCache

Thanks, I thought Fly by Night looked a little darker. Is all of the art just as crisp and sharp? I immediately noticed my new AFtK cover was way softer than my original; I hope the other reissues look sharper.

13. It is no longer available from HD Tracks. I am not sure about other vendors.

It looks like Qobuz has it based on the 2002 copyright on the page linked above.

Patti12 likes this.
  14. DiabloG

The FBN reissue isn't as sharp as the original, but it's close.

15. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I am enjoying the reissue of All The World's A Stage but did they have to replicate the A/D B/C sides. Annoying!

keiron99 likes this.
  16. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Hymie the Robot, Patti12 and DiabloG like this.
  17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That's the way it was issued, for use with a record changer.

18. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Do you see a benefit to ripping the audio to replace the cd's or do they sound very similar?

19. "Automatic Sequencing" ®

20. I did an A/B comparison and can't tell any difference. (But tinnitus and 50 year-old cochlea make me a poor judge of quality.)

21. Sorry, I only bought the Blu-ray of R40.

Yes, on the older releases (Blu-ray and DVD) I seem to recall that the lossy Dolby Digital tracks were worse than the lossy DTS tracks. But for the R40 Blu-ray, the Dolby trueHD (lossless) track is nearly identical to the DTS-HD MA (lossless).

22. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I ripped the audio from the Time Machine tour Blu Ray and thought it sounded worse than the CD, so immediately deleted it and continued to listen to the cd audio. I haven't even bothered ripping the audio from any other of their live Blu Rays, assuming that will be the case with the rest.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Oh yes, I thought we were talking about lossy. Both lossless encodes, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA *should* be identical.

24. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Cheez, can you recommend a good place to order the vinyl? Amazon has "Roll the Bones" but the only offer mp3 downloads.

25. CheezCache

Do you mean Amazon's AutoRip mp3's? If so, the vinyl includes a separate card for lossless hi res downloads.

The three online stores I recommend for vinyl:
    1) Music Direct: Absolutely phenomenal customer service, wonderful with returns, solid packaging, and will even test play an LP before shipping if requested. Usually not the cheapest though.
    2)Deep Discount: Fair prices, good shipping time. I've never had to use their customer service before.
    3)Collector's Choice: Usually cheapest, but has terrible customer service. Good luck orchestrating a return if you happen need one.

Don't forget to the Coupons and Discounts part of the forum for promo codes before you buy!

enro99 and FashionBoy like this.