Pink Floyd '1965' double 7"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Collins, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

no.nine, I get what you're saying about renewing the copyright but to release 300 or even 1000 copies of this doesn't make sense. For sure there's lots of record collectors who would buy this. Why let it get released on the grey market? Personally, I don't care enough about it that i'd HAVE to own a legitimate copy but i'd still pay $15 legit or not. I'm sure there's quite a few folks that feel the same.

2. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I'll repeat the last line from my last post because you may not have seen it (I'm not being sarcastic: I added it to my post right before you posted just now):

A small handful of diehard fans having the songs might be a small price they're willing to pay in order to retain their control.

Granted, I'm only speculating.

3. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

Even if they sold a handful, say 2500, that's still a decent chunk of $$. Why let a bootlegger cash in and not themselves??? If you're going to go through the trouble to release 300, it doesn't make sense.

P.S. I'm sure 2500 would EASILY be sold.

4. If this is indeed the case, I don't get why they didn't go the Dylan route and release the tracks as a bare-bones promo microedition. As it is, by stealth-releasing them as a nicely-packaged RSD set, it seems like maybe they're trying to get some buzz going.

MarkTheShark and mr.datsun like this.
  5. no.nine

But it probably makes perfect sense to Floyd and EMI... after all, I'm sure their lawyers were involved. :winkgrin:

jmczaja likes this.
  6. :confused: Why is it baffling to you that other people's taste are different and view these songs as pretty weak and not particularly interesting? I can understand and respect your opinion that you find them more enjoyable than I do without viewing your expressed opinion as baffling.

7. no.nine

And maybe you're right. That also makes sense to me.

Hell, I HOPE I'm wrong about this one!

All I'm trying to say is that it's very possible what we're seeing here is collector's fodder being driven not by the desire to do something nice for the fans but rather by corporations doing what they do so well.

Pete Puma and Dudley Morris like this.
  8. tonefloat records

tonefloat records New Member

From what I've read it was pretty secret so a lucky leak. At least my sales rep here in Holland didn't tell me

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Why do you say it's a small price? Why is a there a 'price' attached at all? The sense I think you are describing is that it was a reluctant move thrust upon them, so they wanted to limit the damage. But release 1000 singles or release 5000 singles – the damage/price is much the same, except you have fewer annoyed fans with the second option.

And yet, we know this stuff is all coming out in a box-set next year. So were they more worried about cries of foul – by including these tracks in the boxset, fans buying the single, and then complaining (as they do) about having to buy them all over again in the box? More speculation :)

jmczaja likes this.
  10. And indeed if this is correct, presenting it the way they did raises the possibility that the band or EMI may be sadists, who are taking perverse glee that their copyright-protecting move has triggered all this wild fan speculation that they know will never be fulfilled. :)

IpseDixit and no.nine like this.
  11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I don't get all the hate, this has always been a holy grail for me. If I could get a physical copy I would. HUGE thanks to the person who uploaded the samples, and hopefully the full things eventually appear on the interwebs sooner than later.

mr.datsun likes this.
  12. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Try to see the bright side, folks... from what I understand, there will be a box set next year. This stuff will probably be on it, and this unexpected, limited single is the perfect marketing trick to fire up interest. Which is what's happening right now. I like to think that is the strategy, anyway.

mr.datsun and no.nine like this.
  13. no.nine

Yes, "reluctant move" is exactly what I meant by "a small price".

I don't think they necessarily care how many fans they annoy. I think their ultimate intention is to retain control. And the end justifies the means. But again, I'm just speculating.

We do? This is the first I've heard of it. Is there any more concrete info?

I know that Andy Jackson mentioned a "filling in of the gaps" of earlier material, but nothing more specific. This could mean a string of RSD releases, or a miniscule CDR scenario such as what Columbia did with Dylan, or maybe other creative ways of ensuring the Copyright doesn't fall into Public Domain that I couldn't possibly even dream up.

Hey, like I said earlier, I'd be happy to be wrong about all of this.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Just found this on wikipedia.. it is indeed Juliette Gale on 'Walk with me Sydney' -

"Walk with Me Sydney" is a Waters song written in 1965 that took its title from Hank Ballard and the Midnighters' "Work With Me Henry" and was a novelty number.[13] Waters had written it for Barrett and Juliette Gale (Wright's wife) to sing.[13]

It has been believed that the song has never been recorded. However, while revising band's catalogue for Why Pink Floyd...? campaign, the original 1965 demo for the song has been discovered. Mason has confirmed this in an interview with Spinner, noting that it has been found in archives by a friend of Wright's, along with other demos.[14] The song was finally released on the EP 1965: Their First Recordings.

zobalob and Scope J like this.
  15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok, we don't know next year but it doesn't look like this year. But I was told by someone, who has worked with them for years, that a Barrett-era set was the planned project after the Gilmour album and a documentary in production (which also involves Barrett). I suppose the Barrett-era set could possibly have referred to this single but all the other stuff we're hearing from the engineers (elsewhere in this thread) points to more unreleased material. CD box or LP box, who knows....

16. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

Baffling because I keep listening to the samples and they sound amazing.

17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The only thing I'm annoyed about with this release is that a needledrop hasn't made its way onto any public or private trackers yet.

18. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Count me as a big fan of these samples! I've heard Lucy Leave before in its entirety and really enjoy it. Much of the music here sounds to me almost like a cross between a Stones-influenced garage band and Syd Barrett's inherent style. A great example of a band playing it straight before they would fly off to more abstract and experimental territory.

19. no.nine

OK, but since that isn't official info, nothing really changes. The manner in which these songs are released could be in a complete set of some sort, or they could be strung out over several limited releases, or they could be put out on micro CDR releases. Or this double 7" could be the release your contact was talking about, as you've already suggested yourself.

Which all means that these releases of previously unavailable songs, in whatever form they may still appear, could be for the purpose of reinstating the copyright instead of being intended for general public consumption. We don't KNOW that this double 7" is a teaser for anything, though it would be nice if that turns out to be the case.

Time will reveal the truth.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Only heard the samples (and the old acetate), but it is so nice to hear Syd Barrett's voice again.
    It's like hearing a dear old friend from sunnier times.

Chris M, mando_dan, Mal and 7 others like this.
  21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I think the principle is more general, and not just tied to the commercial value of any particular track. It's not just 'grey market' companies that can release public domain material, it's any record label. If Parlophone / Pink Floyd let too much material slip into PD, they could be facing a rash of widely distributed, perfectly legal CDs of material they deem substandard, and they could do nothing about it. How much brand value would be lost if the official releases were outnumbered by dozens of terrible bargain-bin releases on the racks? Or if potential new fans opt for a $5 'best of Pink Floyd' that turns them off for life?

The other obvious concern is that, if they if they do decide to release a Super Deluxe Piper at the Gates of Dawn Complete Sessions in 2020, and they haven't protected the unreleased material before then, ALL of the new material in that box could be legally issued as a 'highlights' set a week later, allowing punters who don't want to outlay $500 for the official release (and its attendant beads and dashiki) to get all the new stuff for $15. This disc would be sitting right next to the big box in every store, trying to look as much like an official release as it possibly can.

If anything in this life is certain, it's that legacy acts will continue to milk their fanbase with new releases of old music, and unreleased recordings are the only reliable selling point. They're definitely not going to throw that away if they can avoid it.

Lost In The Flood and no.nine like this.
  22. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It will happen! They asked for it.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

For sure. Let's just say maybe I have more reason to be confident than you. And then again I'll believe it when I see it.

no.nine likes this.
  24. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

um, wow.

I'm going to arbitrarily jump on the idea that this is legit and either a copyright protection release or a sampler for an upcoming box. Hopeful, me.

25. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

I already have a needle drop from a friend. All I can say is the material is not worth paying $300+ on Ebay for. Nice curio though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.