Why So Many Cuttings Of The Mono With The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nad 214, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Awhile back there was a nice discussion of the different cuttings of Rubber Soul. Lots of good info and a few things i didn't know myself.

looking forward to hearing what people have to say about this.

2. Nad 214

Oh well I guess there aren't as many Beatles experts on here anymore.............

to bad I was hoping there would be some excellent replies and discussions..........

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I suggest that you articulate what you're talking about in your original post, so others can comment. How many cuttings of the mono With the Beatles are there? I never heard that there were many, unlike the "loud" and regular Rubber Soul or the first, withdrawn version of Revolver with the alternate mix of Tomorrow Never Knows.
    Can't read your mind!

crispi likes this.
  4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Maybe there was a communication error with the pressing plants... they kept trying to get the second channel to work... ;)

5. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

Contrary to what some people say there IS a "loud cut" version of "With The Beatles". It has XEX 447-1N and XEX 448-1N in the runout grooves.

I think the OP means that there are many "high numbered" regular pressings with -7N instead.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. Nad 214

7. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

They'll reply soon. It's Sunday morning, so they're gonna be busy checking the bowl for fiber and taking five hundred years to order a plate of breakfast at the local greasy spoon.

BurgerKing likes this.
  8. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

I picked up a trashed -7N for £5 last year. Even through all the crackle, I can clearly hear a 'squeek' between most tracks. Does anybody else hear it?

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Those are variations in the labels and packaging. According to Bruce Spizer's great book, Beatles For Sale on Parlophone Records, all of the albums had such variations, as manufacturing parts wore out and were replaced, along with label and credits information, like song publishers, being revised. Is that what you're referring to, rather than revisions to the actual mixes?

10. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

He's talking about the number of cuts, 7 occurring between Nov and Dec 1963 in the case of WTB according to the link.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

bluemooze and Smartin62 like this.
  12. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

There are some albums that do not have multiple cuttings: Beatles For Sale, Help!, Sgt. Pepper and I think A Hard Days Night.

The second side of Please Please Me was recut sometime in 1965.

I'm referring to originals and not the reissues from the early 1980s.

14. Nad 214

What I'm asking about is why are they so many. As you have a -1 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 with the XEX447 and 448 matrix. Where as with HDN you have just one matrix with the original 1964 pressing

XEX 481-3N XEX 482-3N

15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

It was not unusual to make several lacquers to facilitate production when demand exceeded production. Or was expected to exceed it. The fact that production of WTB had to be farmed out to other label facilities says a lot. The record manufacturing industry was either not prepared or not experienced (or both) for what was unfolding.

There were two cuttings for A Hard Days Night: 1 and 2. For some reason 2 didn't get pressed until later.

TLMusic likes this.
  16. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Taken at some point from another thread. It may have been updated at a later point.

UK Tube Cut Mono
    PPM -1N/-1N, -1N/-2N

WTB -1N/-1N, -3N/-3N, -4N/-4N, -5N/-5N, -6N/-6N, -7N/-7N

AHDN -3N/-3N

BFS -3N/-3N, -4N/-4N

Help -2/-2

RS -1/-1, -4/-4, -5/-5

Rev -2/-1, -2/-2, -2/-3

Oldies -1G/-1G

Sgt P -1/-1

TB -1/-1/-1/-1, -2/-2/-3/-2, -2/-2/-4/-2

YS -1/-1 (mono fold down from the stereo master)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.