Adele's "25" obliterates every first week sales record in history...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

…and coming at a time when platinum albums are close to extinct, it's even more astounding.

Just to put it in perspective, last year was very nearly the first one EVER (since the certificate was coined) where there wasn't a single platinum album - only a late entry by Taylor Swift prevented that, and at the time it was incredible to see it sell about 1.8 million. The domination of the charts was Beatlesque in proportion, if not volume. Just a year later, this album has completely smashed Swift's number, nearly doubling it.

Adele is beating records that were set during the ridiculous late '90s pop era, when teen pop acts were regularly selling close to (or in a few cases above) two million albums in their debut week.

Wish I was a fan of the album - I like Adele, but I don't believe she has made an album that's lived up to her potential, much less anything close to a truly great one. "Rolling in the Deep" is the only track of hers that I've bothered holding on to, everything has been long deleted.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...r-three-million-copies-in-first-week-20151129

2. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Good for her. She's an excellent singer and is more than deserving of the records she's breaking.

ARK, Remurmur, QuintonBarnes and 13 others like this.
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I have lots of respect for Adele, she's very smart. Having taken a break, there has been almost
    unprecedented hype of her new album, taking advantage of the current media opportunities to
    promote sales in a way few artists have done in recent years. Therefore I think the results speak
    for themselves, the fact it translated into a hit record doesn't surprise me at all. Well done.

Also, I don't generally assume that a quality record and big sales go together, especially these days
    when promoting an album is as much about the "story" of the artist than just the music itself. Adele is a
    great story. She's also very talented and endearing to her fans, it's a perfect mix for huge success.

4. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Just imagine the sales on this if this was the 90s...

Most of the purchases come from the kind of people who only buy one CD a year, it's safe to say. It doesn't change the fact that these are dire times for the music industry and artists/writers in particular.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Are you the typical Adele fan? Are you a college educated woman 25 to 45 who watches Family Guy on TV and likes to shop at Target, Bath & Body Works and Victoria's Secret? If not, get off this thread.

6. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I happen to stalk that demographic and I don't care to have them scared off. Don't mind him, ladies. I've been an Adele fan for many years.:tiphat:

7. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

wow, so not only a world class beatles/mccartney shrine, now a hook up site. guess something has to take the place of ashley mad.

RubenH likes this.
  8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Did you mean Modern Family, Steve?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nope, not according to Nielsen. They study the demographics of various pop acts.

10. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

For me, I like what I like. I don't care and have never cared whether my liking an artist fits any demographic or is considered to be "cool" or not.

I like Adele, and I am glad that if the masses have chosen to embrace someone, at least in this case, the person does have some real talent.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    ARK, Vinyl_Blues, Rolltide and 6 others like this.
  11. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

I am the target audience, and think she is okay, but never owned anything by her:laugh:

I find her music likable and not bad, but just not my thing really. She is good and talented for sure!

seed_drill likes this.
  12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

So far, I count five college educated woman aged 25 to 45.

:winkgrin:

(Come on, that was funny! Don't get mad at me! :eek: )

WHitese, Tim 2, theMess and 5 others like this.
  13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh............ looks like I fell into the trap because I responded too. :sigh: Count is at six.

14. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I can guarantee you that likely close to a million copies will have been sold just since Black Friday. I've talked to some of the folks who work at the local music stores, and all of tell me it was flying off the shelves over the holiday weekend, even faster than it was in the past week leading up to it. One manager told me that almost every other sale he was ringing the morning of Black Friday had a copy of 25 in it. He could barely keep the shelves stocked with it.

ARK and lightbulb like this.
  15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Imagine how many more CD's and downloads she'd sell if the mastering didn't stink. Or, are there so few of us anymore that care about quality musical playback?

On another forum, a number of folks have said they're fans, but would not buy the CD because it is nearly unlistenable on a quality audio system. However, apparently, the vinyl mastering does not suffer from the same DR compression.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Quite an achievement.
    A few weeks ago I recall reading another thread re: industry trade mags stating how much everyone was betting on Adele's new release. I was skeptical of all the typical pending media hype, bombast and attention.

I think it's smart for Adele to promote various songs on her TV appearances. Enables album longevity.

My brother in law bought the CD and played it on Thanksgiving for the family. I was more surprised to see he actually had the CD more than hearing any of the tracks... which sounded good, but maybe I'll enjoy it more upon repeat listenings.

Now the music industry has a Star to put on top of this year's holiday tree.

zebop likes this.
  17. zen

zen Senior Member

Well, my wife (who bought it) is a little older than that, but, close. :D
    For the record, she didn't care for it after a week of listening...nor did I. Apparently, we didn't connect with Adele's woes.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, I'm sure the album would've moved at least 46 extra copies with better mastering! :laugh:

fredblue, ARK, BZync and 32 others like this.
  19. 3.38 million - geez, I'm starting to feel the "Must Buy Coolio" effect kicking in! ;)

I'm 44 and I occasionally watch Family Guy.

seed_drill likes this.
  20. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

You can count me out.

21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Probably 50 or 60.

Rolltide and Shak Cohen like this.
  22. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I finally decided to look her up after so much hype, and my wife played me one of her songs. The wife said that she had trouble finding a song that wasn't depressing. Like the OP, I do really like the "Rolling in the Deep" song.

Liquid Len and zen like this.
  23. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

50+ I bought it. :)

24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

With that many sold i'll wait till it hit's the used bins for .99 in a couple years, my buy list is quite long at the moment...:D

25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

With a better mastering it could have done Guns N Roses numbers :wtf: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.