Favorite vintage or new FM tuner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgor21

rgor21 New Member

Yes, it looks like it was once there. Someone probably removed it to fit a 2 prong extension cord..? Thanks Ronm

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Cut the end off, and wire a new, proper 3 prong end on.

3. rgor21

rgor21 New Member

Will do exactly that.

4. rgor21

rgor21 New Member

I've had the Sansui TU 717 which was calibrated by RadioX and it sounded good. I have a Kenwood KT5020 which is much better (top 10 of fmtunerinfo list). And, as I stated earlier, I just received an Aragon 4T2, which is a bit more strident (harder, not lush) than the Kenwood but is much more spatial (more air), which pulled me more into the music. I really like the Pioneer SX ?3? series, but you need a good Tech to service them, and could get costly.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My Revox B-760, which I have used for many years, is now in need of service as it does not power up. I replaced the external fuse but that has not helped. Perhaps an internal fuse has blown but I do not want to mess around with opening up the cabinet ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

Here is another one of my vintage tuners, the Tandberg 3001 I have not powered on in ages ...

[​IMG]

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

On a different note, this
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XDR-F1HD-Radio-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00168Q248
    was reviewed as having the best measured performance ever, even in non-HD mode. Sound and Vision or somebody. Are you looking for quantity of stations? Or what are the criteria? Magnum Dynalab seems to have been the gold standard.

But I think this is a bit like talking about headphones without discussing what drives them. The ANTENNA probably makes as big a difference as the tuner I would think.

8. coopmv

The Grace tuner that runs off my WiFi is really my go-to tuner these days. It is nice not having to bother with either the rooftop or electronic antenna ...

[​IMG]

hi_watt and jupiterboy like this.
  9. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Another aspect I like about the Aragon was the pre-set capability.Did not care to have to scroll through the dial for the few stations I do enjoy.It is really a very simplistic tuner which suits me at this point in FM listening.

10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

My MR67 is the best sounding tuna I've ever heard in my system, but it requires strong signals. My Luxman T-117 is the best sounding Solid state tuna I've ever heard, and is also quite sensitive and selective.

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I have one of these. Its too bad that its sound is comparable to that from an AM radio. I'd use mine all the time if the sound was any good.

12. coopmv

I don't think these Grace tuner/radio do hires streaming. I believe they only do MP3 and 128 kbps is the best they can manage ...

13. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

I might have a new favourite tuner shortly, Accuphase T-100 coming in a few days. It will be paired with my E-202 integrated than has just had a fresh rebuild. Of course the T-100 might just end up in the main system....

Daedalus likes this.
  14. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Let us know how that works out. I have heard really good things about that tuner.

Fiddlefye likes this.
  15. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

An Akai AT-V04 is a fantatsic tuner for DX-ing. However, sound quality was mediocre at best. I got an Integra at a yard sale for $5, and it stomped the Akai to pieces. But, what I did with the Akai is run the audio out straight to the jacks, bypassing the level control. It became a whole new tuner. On measurements, it not only equalled, but surpassed the Integara. And these Akais are CHEAP on Ebay. You could probably get one for $25 or less. However, you MUST do that little mod. Otherwise you wasted $25.

16. coopmv

Is Integara a higher-priced line of Onkyo?

17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

1980 Sansui TU-717 sounds pretty fine. Amazing really.

It's nice.

Daedalus and Bolero like this.
  18. redshift1

redshift1 Member

That's what I've heard, my only foray in the Integra brand was a preamp that failed after a few months. Covered under warranty but I did not like the sound and
    ended up donating to Goodwill.

19. coopmv

Yamaha, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony (ES line) and Akai are the only Japanese-made equipments I have owned over the years. I have no experience with Onkyo gears ...

20. JBStephens

Yep. When I hear "Onkyo" I think "Cheap amplifier module" but they did make a foray into genuinely decent components.

21. JBStephens

You can see the twin FM beams on the roof. I could get stations from Atlanta to Washington DC, and that's a pretty good range. I called the station in Atlanta to let them know I was picking them up in NC, and they didn't believe me!

[​IMG]

22. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I have a TU-717 that Mike at RadioX Tuners refurbished and upgraded. It sounds amazing. The last tuner I will ever need. (May have mentioned this earlier in this very thread.)

Thinking of selling my Marantz 2130. It is a very cool tuner, and sounds good, but not as nice as my TU-717. It might be comparable if similarly refurbed/upgraded but I'd rather put those funds into some other aspect of my system, e.g. my turntable.

bluesky likes this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Best tuner I had was an older Carver tuner that I purchased used for $150. Retail was about $1000. Wish I still had it.

24. coopmv

Hmm. Most rooftop antennas will have problems picking up decent FM signals much beyond 50 miles ... :confused:

25. coopmv

Which model was that? I still have the TX-2, which is an excellent tuner for its price ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.